The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Ranking the Movies Effects

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Nov 24 2015, 12:45am

Post #1 of 5 (432 views)
Shortcut
Ranking the Movies Effects Can't Post

With all of the 6 movies finished which film do you think had the best SFX effects and CGI?
Rank them if you want

Dcole4
Rohan

Nov 24 2015, 1:39am

Post #2 of 5 (402 views)
Shortcut
Ranking [In reply to] Can't Post

1 - Return of the King
2 - Two Towers
3 - Fellowship of the Ring
4 - Desolation of Smaug
5 - Unexpected Journey
6 - Battle of Five Armies

Honestly, BOTFA has some incredible work in it but it is very apparent that there were too few resources stretched too thin. One of the benefits of using miniatures and prosthetics is that it allows the digital artists to focus on making the CGI perfect. When you have them do EVERYTHING, it makes it incredibly difficult to maintain a high standard. 48 fps is largely responsible for the lack of prosthetics and miniatures. It's a huge shame, beyond giving the film a better aesthetic it would have locked PJ down and restricted him in what he was capable of doing. PJ is at his worst when he has limitless possibilities.

The entire "gag" department at WETA, who come up with all CGI shots to be inserted into action scenes, should be fired. And PJ needs a stern talking to that these "gags" are lame and only belong in a cartoon. His action sensibilities have deteriorated so much its shocking.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Nov 24 2015, 5:03am

Post #3 of 5 (360 views)
Shortcut
All of these films [In reply to] Can't Post

Are some of the best-looking movies ever made and college-course examples of the best way to meld set and model work to computer animation. Now that that's out of the way, I rank them as such:

1. The Return of the King (two main reasons why: the size of the work load/how little time there was to finish said work load vs. how incredibly tangible and magnificent nearly everything ended up looking, and - the big one for me; the one that shows just how far these effects had come - that single moment where Serkis in full make-up and prosthetics morphs into completely CGI Gollum)
2. The Fellowship of the Ring
3. The Battle of the Five Armies (I do not mind the dreamy-looking image effect that is so bemoaned around these parts and has, in fact, been present since many scenes in FotR)
4. The Two Towers
5. An Unexpected Journey
6. The Desolation of Smaug (for the thing that looks most fake in the entire series: the melted gold)

[To a corpse] "You're looking so well, darling, you really are. They've done a marvelous job. I don't know what sort of cream they've put on you down at the morgue, but I want some."

- The Grand Budapest Hotel

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Nov 24 2015, 6:22pm

Post #4 of 5 (232 views)
Shortcut
The best special effects [In reply to] Can't Post

No. 1 - Desolation, because of Smaug! I can overlook the silly Forges scene because of that.
No. 2 - Battle of 5 Armies, again because of Smaug. His attack on Laketown is spectacular. I also like that during the battle scenes they FINALLY got the Dwarf scale down, and it was the most consistent through the three movies.
No. 3 - Two Towers. I like the fight scene between Gandalf & the Balrog, but there's just something about the whole Helm's Deep battle that, to this day, hasn't been captured anywhere else - not even in BOT5A. I don't know if it's an actual special effect or not, but it still left an unbeatable impression on me. I also give high marks to Edoras, though again that's more of a set than a special effect.
No. 4 - Fellowship, just because it was so ground-breaking for its time. The mines of Moria probably seal that for me.
No. 5 - An Unexpected Journey. Well I really like the Eagles, and the scene where Thorin is charging down the burning pine tree, but the Dwarf scale was all over the place. One minute Thorin is at Galdalf's shoulder, then next at his elbow. Clearly needed some work. The Goblin tunnels were fun, but at times looked like a video game. I enjoy the Trollshaws fight more.
No. 6 - RoTK, and I'm not sure why. It certainly was a good movie, probably even great, but just not quite as magical for me as FoTR or TTT, hmmm.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 24 2015, 6:48pm

Post #5 of 5 (216 views)
Shortcut
I don't know that I could rank the movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I could pick out certain things that I really liked and certain things that I didn't.

Smaug, as others have said, was fantastic. The Balrog was amazing. Small things, like Gandalf's fireworks at Bilbo's Birthday Party, were awesome.

All of Legolas' stunts (LOTR and Hobbit) were crap.

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Nov 24 2015, 6:49pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.