Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Wingnut films releases statement on the recent articles about Peter Jackson "Admitting why Hobbit films were bad" or something similar

Bree

Nov 21 2015, 5:26pm

Post #1 of 15 (4909 views)
Shortcut
Wingnut films releases statement on the recent articles about Peter Jackson "Admitting why Hobbit films were bad" or something similar Can't Post

the You Tube clip is a 6min cutdown of a 45min featurette (one of many) from the recent Battle of the Five Armies Extended Cut DVD, entitled “The Gathering Clouds” [sic]. Somebody has decided to create this cutdown using only the sections of “The Gathering Clouds” that discuss the difficulties faced, not the positive ways they were addressed and overcome – which are also covered in this and other featurettes.

Peter has never made a secret of the fact that he took over the Hobbit directing job with very little preparation time remaining before shooting had to begin. It was a challenge he willingly took on. His comments are an honest reflection of his own personal feelings at times during the movie’s production.

However they are not a reflection of either the actual production of these 3 movies – which was very tight, professional, happy, and finished on schedule and budget – nor do they reflect the finished result. Peter is very proud of the 3 Hobbit movies, and actually regards this period as one of his happiest film making experiences – something he has said publicly many times.

Shifting 2 months of shooting from 2012 into 2013 to allow the long and very complex battle sequence to be properly planned and shot, had no impact on the budget or release date. It is exactly what any responsible director should do, given the compressed pre-production time Peter had for these 3 technically difficult movies.
Ever since The Frighteners, Peter has tried to provide fans with honest, detailed, “warts and all” behind the scenes featurettes – compared to the usual bland Hollywood publicity material seen on most other DVDs. It’s a little sad to see desperate media outlets hijack this honesty to feed their ravenous appetite for negative sensationalism.

(This post was edited by 1924 on Nov 21 2015, 5:28pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 21 2015, 6:08pm

Post #2 of 15 (4814 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

It’s a little sad to see desperate media outlets hijack this honesty to feed their ravenous appetite for negative sensationalism.

Pitiful, really.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2015, 6:34pm

Post #3 of 15 (4795 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully PJ's doing okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

I know in the film business you've got to have tough skin, but all the same I hope PJ's not taking this too hard. I remember reading back when King Kong came out that there was a section of people just waiting to pounce on PJ after the immense success of LotR, and I've never felt the truth of that more than now. These folks really have their claws out. Unsure

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Nov 21 2015, 6:40pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2015, 7:08pm

Post #4 of 15 (4750 views)
Shortcut
It´s necessary to make a statement? [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont think so, let the people think, or they want to make sure that everybody is happy now the EE is just released?

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to The Battle for the Fifth Trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

There and Back Again Traveller

nusilver
Rohan

Nov 21 2015, 7:22pm

Post #5 of 15 (4731 views)
Shortcut
Of course it's necessary. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I dont think so, let the people think, or they want to make sure that everybody is happy now the EE is just released?

Their words were taken out of context and twisted to mean something they didn't intend, and then it spread all over the Internet. OF COURSE a statement is necessary, especially for all the people who worked out the films who are seeing reports that their boss thinks their product was garbage.

When you're a public figure, you can't let idiots on the Internet mis-represent your words, because that stuff follows you. Just imagine how many times PJ is going to have to field questions about those ridiculous stories that have been going around lately!

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer." - Samwise

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 21 2015, 8:04pm

Post #6 of 15 (4683 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It´s necessary to make a statement?

When a 6-minute clip from a 45-minute video is taken this much out of context, yes, a corrective statement is necessary.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2015, 8:05pm

Post #7 of 15 (4681 views)
Shortcut
but the EE has been released a month ago [In reply to] Can't Post

I have seen it, people are aware of this, and can skip this manipulated video without great effort

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to The Battle for the Fifth Trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

There and Back Again Traveller

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 21 2015, 8:15pm

Post #8 of 15 (4679 views)
Shortcut
Yes, however... [In reply to] Can't Post

That manipulated video is receiving a great deal of attention right now, far more than is actually warranted. It is perfectly reasonable for Peter Jackson and his colleagues to point out the proper context.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

Dipling
Lorien

Nov 21 2015, 10:00pm

Post #9 of 15 (4601 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

We should send PJ (and staff) new "thank you" video.

MEIGWIT
Bree

Nov 21 2015, 11:52pm

Post #10 of 15 (4538 views)
Shortcut
100% Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

They deserve all the gratitude in the world

It is the little things in life that keep the darkness at bay.

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 22 2015, 1:27am

Post #11 of 15 (4503 views)
Shortcut
There's an article about it by greendragon on our Home Page [In reply to] Can't Post

We spoke to Wingnut about it as well as having them send us the official press release. It's a great article if you haven't read it yet (and, yes, I'm biased Laugh).

Peter Jackson’s comments provoke a ‘Gathering Storm’ in a teacup…

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

glor
Rohan

Nov 22 2015, 3:34am

Post #12 of 15 (4459 views)
Shortcut
Warping of honesty and the obvious [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, you are correct in saying PJs comments were taken out of context.

The fact that PJ did not have the pre-production time he had on LOTR thanks to Del Toros departure and that this did affect the final product has been commented on in this forum.

It is not rocket science, it is basic logic, PJ had to step into these films without the preparation time due to circumstance. Being disappointed at this and feeling as a creative that you could have done better, is not the same thing as saying something is bad.

If anyone should get it in the neck so to speak, it's Warner Brothers bean counters for pushing PJ to stick to their schedule.

A creative should be able to reflect on their work and understand why it did not turn out the way they wanted, what they would have done differently if circumstances had been different. Anyone who is a Bladerunner fan will be very familiar with this process, Ridley Scott not only made a directors cut as he felt the original theatre release was a travesty, he also returned to his work 2 decades later and tweaked the imperfections that greater on him, including reshooting one scene

No mascara can survive BOTFA

(This post was edited by glor on Nov 22 2015, 3:34am)

lionoferebor
Rohan

Nov 22 2015, 6:00am

Post #13 of 15 (4413 views)
Shortcut
I just read the article... [In reply to] Can't Post

and like it says there are those who love these films, those who don't, and those who fall somewhere in between. I fall into the third category. There are aspects of the these films I enjoy and equally there are those that I don't.

Still, my own personal feelings aside, I admire PJ not only for his honesty, but for his commitment as well. Not to mention the commitment and loyalty of the crew, which I also find commendable.

It's unfortunate the media/public has dragged PJ's honesty through the mud - focusing on the obstacles rather than the solutions and PJ's commitment - to satisy their distaste with these films. Regardless of how one feels about these films, there is no denying that PJ accomplished what few directors could ever dream of achieving.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2015, 7:24am

Post #14 of 15 (4391 views)
Shortcut
Although I fall in the first category, [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the honesty with which you explain your own stand on these films, and the homage you give nevertheless to their maker.Smile

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2015, 7:33am

Post #15 of 15 (4388 views)
Shortcut
Perfect. The perfect straight answer [In reply to] Can't Post

to the twisted attack misusing some of Peter's words, deliberately taken in isolation of all the rest.
Bravo, Wingnut!

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.