Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Don't like the Hobbit movies- DON'T WATCH THEM!

grimbeorn15
Rivendell

Nov 21 2015, 5:54pm

Post #1 of 10 (592 views)
Shortcut
Don't like the Hobbit movies- DON'T WATCH THEM! Can't Post

It's not that complicated. I have been a hardcore Tolkien fan far longer than these movies have been around, and yes, there are certain scenes I could do without and others I wish we had, but overall I am extremely grateful for the films. They are not the definitive versions of Middle Earth, but only one interpretation. We will always have the books and more importantly our imaginations. I would go so far as to say that imagination is exactly what the critics lack including those that are hardcore Tolkien fans. Film making is hard. Take the films for what they're worth and stop being so ridiculously defensive. Imagination allows each of us our own experiences in Middle Earth. Take the aspects of the films you like and leave the others. Most importantly go read the book. Allow all interpretations of Middle Earth to fuel your imagination...that is if you have one.

DainPig
Gondor

Nov 21 2015, 6:00pm

Post #2 of 10 (546 views)
Shortcut
Again this threat [In reply to] Can't Post

You made a point.

The movies did not ruin the book. The book still there.

If you did not like PJ's version, so don't watch it. Go read the book.

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???
Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

Elarie
Grey Havens

Nov 21 2015, 7:10pm

Post #3 of 10 (487 views)
Shortcut
LOL - Could it really be that simple? [In reply to] Can't Post

I also have frequently wondered why people who hate the movies keep going over and over it in their minds and can't let go. The books are wonderful and magical and will always be there and if the movies did not come up to some people's expectations it's too late to do anything about it now. It's sad when you look forward to a movie and then get disappointed but it happens. I've seen lots of movies that I thought stunk and there's nothing to do but move on.

Now excuse me while I try to decide whether to watch "Boyhood" again or just sit here and hit myself on the head with a brick. Smile

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Ringtir
Rivendell

Nov 21 2015, 7:11pm

Post #4 of 10 (486 views)
Shortcut
I've said the same about a possible Silmarillion adaptation by PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

But, at least can we argue and point why we don't like The Hobbit movies?

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Nov 21 2015, 9:35pm

Post #5 of 10 (417 views)
Shortcut
It's more a case of not watching particular scenes, [In reply to] Can't Post

for many of us, it would seem. That's much harder to arrange, unless you have access to your own personal 'fan edit'. I sometimes go and make a cup of tea during the worst moments, but it does break the continuity of the experience.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Nov 22 2015, 8:11am

Post #6 of 10 (315 views)
Shortcut
I thought I was a hardcore Tolkien fan - [In reply to] Can't Post

- until I came here.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 22 2015, 7:09pm

Post #7 of 10 (225 views)
Shortcut
Weird thread. [In reply to] Can't Post

I assume most of us can decide for ourselves whether and why to come here and discuss these movies (yes, also disappointment).

Thanks for your advice but it is really not needed, at least not in that kind of tone.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

grimbeorn15
Rivendell

Nov 22 2015, 11:22pm

Post #8 of 10 (175 views)
Shortcut
Respect [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the utmost of respect for Tolkien fans of any persuasion, what I don't respect is fans or non-fans alike who watch the films and have nothing better to do than constantly tear into the film makers. If you don't like the films- great! I respect that. Stop watching and do something else. Just don't assume that you could do it better. Film making is really tough. Having worked in the field professionally I can attest to this. As I originally stated, I'm grateful for the interpretation but it's no replacement for my own imagination. The PJ bashing needs to stop.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Nov 22 2015, 11:28pm

Post #9 of 10 (170 views)
Shortcut
This is so me... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I sometimes go and make a cup of tea during the worst moments, but it does break the continuity of the experience.

and ultimately the reason why I have not been able to accomplish The Hobbit trilogy marathon Unsure, because I cannot resist the urge to fast forward through the parts I don't like. At the same time the parts I do enjoy, I can watch those over and over...so I guess it balances all out. Cool

Omnigeek
Lorien

Nov 23 2015, 2:35am

Post #10 of 10 (156 views)
Shortcut
Some of the steadfast PJ defenders mistake the criticisms [In reply to] Can't Post

As luck would have it, I am watching the extended version of "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" at the moment and am struck somewhat by the parallels. As a chronicle of the tales of Robin Hood, this movie is frankly awful. Costner took extensive liberties in this rendition and there are numerous historical and physical inconsistencies. Even fans of the movie derided Costner's predilection for showing his posterior in a gratuitous scene or the lack of even an attempt at an English accent (properly mocked by Cary Elwes in "Robin Hood: Men in Tights". As a movie, it was delightful with spectacular visual sequences, exciting action, and lots of humor (Alan Rickman stole the whole movie with his portrayal of the Sheriff of Nottingham).

As another analogy, even the most hardcore Star Wars fans will acknowledge shortcomings of the prequel trilogy (not the least of which was Jar Jar Binks). I think many of us regard the whole love triangle bit as the Jar Jar Binks of the Hobbit trilogy -- complaining about that aspect doesn't mean one hates the whole production or doesn't appreciate the artistic achievement.

A lot of the kneejerk defenders erroneously take honest critiicism (or complaints) for general hate of the movies. I will probably pick up copies of this trilogy when it's offered in a single edition rather than make the same mistake I did with LOTR, resulting in 4 copies of that trilogy on my shelves. I doubt I'll watch it as often as the LOTR trilogy or even the Rankin-Bass cartoon but that doesn't mean I won't watch it. The fact I dislike the costumes on the dwarves won't keep me from appreciating them singing "Far o'er the Misty Mountains" or the whole Goblin-town sequence. My disgust and annoyance with the love triangle won't keep me from appreciating the Tauriel character in general or Evangeline Lilly's fine performance. My objections to the Azog storyline or dislike of the extra gore in the EE don't keep me from enjoying the central battle in BOTFA.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.