Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Have you ever watched a "Perfect" movie?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 24 2015, 5:07am

Post #26 of 40 (508 views)
Shortcut
Someone please explain the attraction of Amelie to me [In reply to] Can't Post

I found it insufferably irritating. Crazy

Tintallė
Gondor

Nov 25 2015, 4:29am

Post #27 of 40 (477 views)
Shortcut
I just saw a lovely little film that I found quite perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

called "About Time." It started small and ended up making me laugh and weep with both joy and sorrow. I loved it in every way - the casting, the performances, the writing, the direction, and the evolution of the message. Perfectly perfect.

Tintallė
Gondor

Nov 25 2015, 4:30am

Post #28 of 40 (462 views)
Shortcut
Me too. You are the first person I've ever found who feels the same! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kim
Valinor

Nov 25 2015, 6:26am

Post #29 of 40 (460 views)
Shortcut
Such a sweet movie [In reply to] Can't Post

I went in expecting a romance with a little twist, but it ended up being so much more. The father/son relationship was so great, and poignant.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 25 2015, 1:49pm

Post #30 of 40 (451 views)
Shortcut
Yes and No...for me, The Shawshank Redemption is a perfect film... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Well, perfect in the sense of never failing to entertain me, and being a film I can watch over and over again and always enjoy it as much as I did the first time I watched it.

An engrossing, heartwarming drama, with likeable characters, strong performances from the cast, beautiful cinematography, music and dialogue, but at its heart it remains a compelling story about male friendship, and the redemptive power of hope in the darkest of places, i.m.o it fully deserves its reputation as one of the greatest films ever made...and I really should get round to reading the novella at some point...

That's not to say it dosen't have flaws, as all films have flaws (in this case, some of the supporting characters are cartoonish, dialogue veers between hokey and contrived at points, and the there are several plot holes and contrived conveniences that even in a film require a strong suspension of disbelief), and all art is of course subjective...but for me I'd say it matches the criteria of being a pefect film, because I enjoy it so much and it has all the best elements I look for in cinema, the flaws don't matter at all.

The Godfather and Fellowship Of The Ring would fit in this category as well.

So yes...and no, I've certainly watched films I consider perfect (by which I mean I've enjoyed the film and felt fully satisfied when the closing credits roll) and I think everyone has their own perfect films, but no, all art is subjective, and one man's (or woman's) flaws may be another's strengths...

(This post was edited by malickfan on Nov 25 2015, 1:51pm)

Annael
Immortal

Nov 25 2015, 3:55pm

Post #31 of 40 (445 views)
Shortcut
I'd like someone to explain pumpkin spice lattes to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

The only time I tried one, I spit it out. SO WRONG.

Tastes differ. I loved the story of two goodhearted and meant-for-each-other but very shy people coming together - with a bit of help. I liked the music and the use of saturated color. I liked the subplot of the rather simple man finding his courage, and the other subplot of the jealous man and the hypochondraic waitress. I thought Audrey Tautou was an adorable gamine.

And, of course: Paris.Unsure

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Nov 25 2015, 3:59pm)

Yanghang05
The Shire

Nov 26 2015, 10:45pm

Post #32 of 40 (414 views)
Shortcut
I think it“s the mood [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometime you want something fun, sometime the drama and so one, looking at my list I seem some what quite " all over the board " Tongue
My list from the head in no specific order, all in the mood

Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Shining
Die Hard ( no 1 )
The green mile
Emigrants
Forrest Gump
Singing in the rain
The pianist
LOTR and The Hobbit
Clock Work Orange
Gone with the wind
Pulp Fiction
Holidays
Dirty dozen
Star Wars ( original )
Die Hard, ( no 1 )
Matrix ( no 1 )
Strictly ballroom
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Amelie from Montmartre
Kil, Bill vol 1
Full Metal Jacket
Silent of the lamb
As it is in heaven
Amadeus

Well I don“t know what that tells you about my taste
Tongue

Yanghang

Yanghang05
The Shire

Nov 26 2015, 10:48pm

Post #33 of 40 (412 views)
Shortcut
oops forgot [In reply to] Can't Post

Personata as well

Yanghang

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 27 2015, 2:38pm

Post #34 of 40 (399 views)
Shortcut
I agree!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kim
Valinor

Nov 27 2015, 11:51pm

Post #35 of 40 (367 views)
Shortcut
The Princess Bride and Apollo 13 [In reply to] Can't Post

Both of these just worked for me on the first viewing and have held up under subsequent viewing. I enjoy everything about them (production/script/acting/story). Of the ones mentioned by others above, I'd also agree with Raiders of the Lost Ark and Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. Everything just came together into fun, engaging storytelling.

There are a lot of other movies I love and watch repeatedly, like LOTR and TH, but have some aspects that keep them just shy of perfect for me. Of those series, FOTR and AUJ are the closest to perfect for me.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 29 2015, 1:18pm

Post #36 of 40 (298 views)
Shortcut
Awesome Collection! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Makes me want to turn off the phone and lock the doors to watch movies all day!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Yanghang05
The Shire

Nov 29 2015, 3:42pm

Post #37 of 40 (295 views)
Shortcut
The African Queen [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, what a gem of a movie. I had forgot this one.
And what about Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
The chemistry between Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn Smile And I really like her natural beauty not often you see that from Hollywood actors

Yanghang

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 30 2015, 10:07am

Post #38 of 40 (279 views)
Shortcut
Loved It!! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I really DO wish I'd seen it at the theatre!!

Cavill did an awesome job of capturing Robert Vaughn's (Solo's) voice and speaking patterns... and what an incredible job of capturing the look and feel of the 60s. But GEEZ... that was a great movie!!!

THANKS!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Aragorn's Sexy Scar
Bree

Nov 30 2015, 6:18pm

Post #39 of 40 (273 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad you liked it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really fell in love with this movie from the very beginning when Henry Cavill walked through Checkpoint Charlie and the camera lingered on his walk, his suit and that gorgeous face.I don't think Guy Ritchie could have found a better actor to play Napoleon Solo.He exhuded cool.

The real surprise for me was Armie Hammer's performance as Illya Kuryakin.I loved his Russian temperament, his brute strength, his accent and, most of all, his vulnerability.Armie's gigantic height was an in-joke in the film and Alicia Vikander looked tiny next to him.I have to say that I still have a crush on Illya Wink

I saw this film 12 times at the cinema and I haven't done that since Return of the King, so I thought it was very special and it was just fun Smile

(This post was edited by Aragorn's Sexy Scar on Nov 30 2015, 6:19pm)

Aragorn's Sexy Scar
Bree

Dec 5 2015, 6:39pm

Post #40 of 40 (255 views)
Shortcut
Time magazines best films of 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post

http://time.com/.../top-10-best-movies/

The Man From UNCLE makes the top 10! I'm very happy with that Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.