The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Could someone who has more patience than I

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 11 2015, 3:44am

Post #1 of 5 (691 views)
Shortcut
Could someone who has more patience than I Can't Post

Tell me when Christmas (December 25th) would land on the Shire calendar? I am having a bit of trouble figuring out corresponding dates on the Shire calendar with our Gregorian calendar Evil

Although I will say this about the professor- HIS system of every month having thirty days makes a LOT more sense than ours!

Note- I thought it would correspond with Yule, until I read that Yule is supposed to be the first day of the year, and it seemed like I had my answer, BUT....then Tolkien throws out a "it's ten days ahead" or what-have-you from ours...so it left me baffled Unsure

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Nov 11 2015, 3:46am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 11 2015, 12:57pm

Post #2 of 5 (650 views)
Shortcut
December 25 (Gregorian) [In reply to] Can't Post

Using Tolkien's calculations (where January 1 corresponds to 9 Afteryule), our December 25 should correspond to 2 Afteryule.

When I worked out comparing the Gregorian Calendar to the Shire Reckoning, though, I kept Midsummer/Midyear's Day closer to the summer solstice (using June 21), which yields a slightly different result: December 25 = 4 Afteryule.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Nov 11 2015, 1:01pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 11 2015, 2:26pm

Post #3 of 5 (636 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Otaku! [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate you being willing to do the math for me, as yesterday was super busy but I had the question in my mind and it was driving me crazy Smile

So in short, Yuletime is darn close to Christmastime anyway, but off by a couple of days. Thanks!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 11 2015, 2:43pm

Post #4 of 5 (634 views)
Shortcut
The Encyclopedia of Arda says “3 Afteryule” [In reply to] Can't Post

Wikipedia and Wikia (Hmm, are they the same thing? Charts look eerily similar.) says “Afteryule – 23 December to January 21”. (This would also make Dec. 25 “3 Afteryule”.)

No! I don’t know how this works; I’m terrible at these conversions.
I seems Otaku’s calculations are “good enough”, as both Wikipedia and Wikia use the word “approximate”….

"To think that I should have lived to be good-morninged by Belladonna Took’s son, as if I was selling buttons at the door!”
-Gandalf the Grey

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 11 2015, 8:38pm

Post #5 of 5 (602 views)
Shortcut
Wiki seems off.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Wikipedia and Wikia (Hmm, are they the same thing? Charts look eerily similar.) says “Afteryule – 23 December to January 21”. (This would also make Dec. 25 “3 Afteryule”.)

I'm not sure how that calculation was arrived at. Prof. Tolkien himself--in LotR, Appendix D, "The Calendars"-- equated our New Year's Day with 9 Afteryule. That would make Afteryule from our December 20 to January 18. That also places Christmas Day on 2 Afteryule. Although I still have to wonder it Tolkien's calculations were slightly off, as that also put's the Hobbit's Midyear's Day on June 23, which would work better if he intended that date to be Midsummer's (and Midyear's) Eve, falling on St. John's Eve which is another traditional Midsummer's Eve observance.

Whomever came up with the wiki figures must have equated our June 20 with Midyear's Day in Shire Reckoning. That works out if we want to equate June 20 with the summer solstice, but even so I wonder why that date was chosen as superior to June 21.

"Things need not to have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure
when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Dream of the Endless

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Nov 11 2015, 8:47pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.