The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the Yes, it's November already! reading thread

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 10 2015, 3:46pm

Post #1 of 18 (437 views)
Shortcut
It's the Yes, it's November already! reading thread Can't Post

(With apologies to Kim and her watching thread just below Smile)

I was out of town last week and of course took along my Kindle, two paperbacks, my MP3, and a book of Sudoku. Then I bought five books while I was gone. You'd think I was nervous about running out of things to read, wouldn't you?

On the MP3 I'm still listening to Agatha Christie's Cards on the Table, a Hercule Poirot mystery read, again, by Hugh Fraser, who played Hastings in the TV adaptations. Unfortunately, Fraser's voice is so soothing I keep dozing off, which makes it a bit hard to follow what is a very character-driven mystery in that the solution to the murder depends on each suspect's backstory and his/her reaction to the investigation.

But a scene where Christie's alter ego, mystery writer Ariadne Oliver, explains the writing process, is so delightful and so true it makes up for the less-than-enthralling moments in the rest of the book.

In paper I read M.C. Beaton's Death of a Macho Man, a Hamish Macbeth mystery, and Michael Hardwick's The Revenge of the Hound, a sequel to Conan Doyle's classic Hound of the Baskervilles.

I enjoy the Macbeth novels---their charm makes me overlook some stylistic annoyances---but will admit they're the literary equivalent of popcorn. The Holmes novel was beautifully written, with multiple references to stories in the actual canon. However, the plot stretched credibility a bit, especially when Hardwick brought it around in a tight circle and attributed several motivations to the fame of the Holmes stories as written by Watson.

I'm also reading one of the books I bought at Colonial Williamsburg (which has a wonderful book shop), Star-Spangled Manners by Judith Martin, aka Miss Manners. I've always liked the way her prose is so exact, even old-fashioned, in its rounded phrases. Now I discover she's quite a historian, too, examining the interaction of politics, revolution, and the tides of history upon etiquette---which, as she points out, is like language, essential to our interactions with others.

To quote: "All this solemn attention to etiquette among the colonials retrospectively inspired the peculiar notion that they must actually have behaved themselves. On the contrary, any society's body of laws or rules provides a thorough description, written in the negative imperative, by which its people drive one another crazy....Instances of Puritanical drunkenness or lewdness were widespread enough to have sufficed to keep their law enforcement agents and vigilantes in a lively state....Condemning a sin should never be confused with eschewing it."

And what have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Immortal

Nov 10 2015, 4:27pm

Post #2 of 18 (377 views)
Shortcut
Did you see the Hamish Macbeth TV series? [In reply to] Can't Post

available on Netflix. Robert Carlyle plays Hamish. Lots of fun.

One of my ancestors, Stephen Hopkins, came over here on the Mayflower and promptly set up a tavern in his home. But he was never a Puritan anyway - he was a "stranger" on the boat not a "saint" as they differentiated Puritans from the folks who just said "I'd like to get out of England any way I can." And then he saw a need & catered to it, like a good American entrepreneur. (He also befriended Squanto & learned his language. Squanto lived in the Hopkins home off and on. So maybe the innkeeper was the reason why the natives helped the immigrants survive?)

I'm still going through both Steven Pinker's The Sense of Style and Prue Shaw's Reading Dante, in fits and starts. But right now I'm most excited about starting Terry Pratchett's A Slip of the Keyboard," a collection of his nonfiction essays that I found in a little bookstore.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 10 2015, 4:33pm

Post #3 of 18 (376 views)
Shortcut
"The Rosary" by Florence Barclay [In reply to] Can't Post

I picked this old book up at a thrift store years ago and read and enjoyed it, and recently saw it on my shelf and re-read it. It's a sweet romance novel, and was number 1 on the bestseller list in 1910. The rather misleading title comes from a song which was popular at the time, (a romantic song, not a religious one.) The second half verges on Shakespearean comedy, even though it's meant to be serious. The heroine, having rejected the hero, courts him in disguise, leaving the reader to wonder how this tangles web is ever going to be untangled.

One thing I found to be refreshing is the heroine, who is physically unlike any modern romance heroine. She's 5'11'' and weighs 170 pounds, and she's taller and heavier than the hero (and older than he is, too). She's also quite independent, having been courted by several "boys" to whom she's become a friend ("good old Jane"), and she's quite comfortable in that role. Until she falls in love at the age of 30.

After reading that book, I bought the collected works of Florence Barclay (not all of them, but a good collection) on kindle for 99 cents. I'm reading the next one now. It's called "Mistress of Shenstone", and is a sequel of sorts. It takes place shortly after the conclustion of "The Rosary", and features a friend of Jane's as the heroine. Many of the same characters feature in this one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Nov 10 2015, 9:44pm

Post #4 of 18 (369 views)
Shortcut
Halfway through my favorite book in my favorite series [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm talking about The Hollow Hills in Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy of course! I just can't say enough good things about how she writes her characters. They are so well crafted, they just leap out of the pages at you. I'm at the point when Merlin is returning to Britain to find Arthur and enter into his life. (One of my favorite scenes is coming up....when Merlin and Arthur first meet). It's fascinating to me how Merlin uses people's assumptions about him and his powers to his own advantage. Although he never denies he has power beyone the ordinary, he never flaunts it unnecessarily,and being as brilliant as he is, he has learned, even at this young age in his twenties, how to manipulate circumstances and people, all the while following the vision of the future that he has been given, the vision to which he is himself is a captive and tool.

Thinking about the story as a whole, Merlin certainly goes through a lot of servants! And I've loved them all! It seems Merlin inspires not only dedication and faithfulness, but friendship and loyalty far outside the confines of the master/servant relationship. Unfortunately being so close to Merlin is also dangerous....or fatal....since he has such strong enemies as well.

Ah well, I'm reading it slowly, just to savor the moments.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 10 2015, 10:06pm

Post #5 of 18 (361 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Carlyle caught the spirit of the character, if not the physical attributes. In some ways the TV scripts were better than the books. They were, however, very different, and there were both darker and weirder moments than in the books. Not that I've even begun to read all the books. I don't intend to, or the things that annoy me about the writing will overcome my pleasure in the crunch of popcorn.

I've listened to one Macbeth audio book and have another on the pile. They're, well, simplistic enough to work well in audio.

(Funny, I haven't gotten any email notifications today of people answering my thread, so was surprised to check TORn and see three people had. Mysterious are the ways of the internet.) Crazy

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 10 2015, 11:29pm

Post #6 of 18 (354 views)
Shortcut
I finished Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. [In reply to] Can't Post

There is *a lot* of warfare in the last few books! If you know someone who is fascinated by war stories and also likes a dollop of fantasy from time to time, get them onto this series - they'll mow through the books.

I know some people aren't that fussed about the Codex Alera but I really enjoyed Butcher's new approach to an old trope. The series has a single over-arching story with each book also being complete within itself, with plots that are complicated and characters that are rich and engaging. And the idea of having a Fury or three is really quite tempting...

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Mikah
Lorien

Nov 11 2015, 2:51am

Post #7 of 18 (346 views)
Shortcut
Furies of Calderon is the first one in that series? [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't a series of five or six books? I had picked up Furies of Calderon and ended up getting The Mistborn Series by Sanderson instead. I think their writing styles are a bit similar. I am looking for something I haven't read in the fantasy fiction genre. I have heard such good things about Butcher. Have you read his latest book The Aeronaut's Windlass? If so would you recommend the Codex series or that one as a first Butcher read through?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 11 2015, 5:51am

Post #8 of 18 (331 views)
Shortcut
I'm a big fan, as many here are, of Butcher's The Dresden Files. [In reply to] Can't Post

That series starts with Storm Front. He's plotted it out to 22 or 23 books and he's so far published 15. I wish he'd get the next book out already.

I haven't read Aeronaut's Windlass but two friends have, and they really enjoyed it.

I think you're right about Furies of Calderon being the first in the Codex Alera. Be aware that the series gets better as it progresses.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2015, 4:35pm

Post #9 of 18 (320 views)
Shortcut
After seeing the movie, I had to read The Martian [In reply to] Can't Post

which I enjoyed, even if I don't understand much about NASA, space travel, not to mention engineering and chemistry. And I am still picking my way through Wolf Hall, but haven't had much time to read more than a few pages at a time. But hubby will be away for a week starting tomorrow, so I'll be taking a bit more 'me' time than usual. I still have a huge stack of to-be-read books that I might make a small dent in.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 11 2015, 6:31pm

Post #10 of 18 (320 views)
Shortcut
Hwaet! I believe this might qualify... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as an especially close reading of Beowulf? ;)
The stitches should even out a lot after washing and blocking, but I think these socks are coming along nicely...even though I do see two misplaced stitches where the charts join, which I'll have to "overwrite"...

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 11 2015, 7:21pm

Post #11 of 18 (296 views)
Shortcut
What's the Anglo-Saxon for WOW! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 11 2015, 7:36pm

Post #12 of 18 (294 views)
Shortcut
Hwow. / [In reply to] Can't Post

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 11 2015, 7:39pm

Post #13 of 18 (291 views)
Shortcut
And, as usual, it's Darkstone for the win! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elarie
Grey Havens

Nov 11 2015, 9:22pm

Post #14 of 18 (286 views)
Shortcut
"The Vikings: A History" by Robert Ferguson [In reply to] Can't Post

I finished "Gods and Myths of Northern Europe" by H.R. Ellis Davidson, started The Vikings, then put it aside to read Crippled America and look through the new Hobbit Chronicles from the library, and now I'm finally back to The Vikings. Very interesting book, and I just learned that the word 'starboard' comes from the Old Norse 'styrbord' (steering side) because the Vikings attached their steering oar to the side of the longship instead of in the middle of the stern. Who knew? I was also completely unaware of the dreadful things Charlamagne's soldiers did in Northern Germany to the Germanic heathens, which the book's author believes may be one of the reasons for the ferocity of the Viking attacks that started soon after. I'm not very far into it yet, but lots of fascinating info and well written, so I'm enjoying it very much.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Nov 12 2015, 1:44pm

Post #15 of 18 (251 views)
Shortcut
Emma by Charlotte Brontė [In reply to] Can't Post

I am currently trying to clear out all the unread books I've collected that are just collecting dust. This one was apparently never completed by Brontė before her death, with only the first two chapters done. It says nothing, however, about who the author, identified only as "Another Lady," is that did finish writing the book and what, if anything, it includes of Brontė's original plot. So I guess I'm getting two mysteries for the price of one. Wink

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2015, 5:09pm

Post #16 of 18 (234 views)
Shortcut
"Ronia, the Robber's Daughter" by Astrid Lindgren [In reply to] Can't Post

It's TORn Book Club's book of the month for November. It looked good, so I thought I'd read a book of the month during the actual month in which it was assigned for once.Tongue I had to put in on hold at the Library for about a week, because it was already checked out. Seems there's only one copy of it in the entire area. Literally. One. I even checked the Library of Virginia website, since it wasn't technically due back at the library that had it until the 23rd and I didn't want to wait that long, but they didn't have it either. I was a little surprised since it's by the same woman who did Pippy Longstocking, but I guess some books are just more popular than others.

Anyway, whoever had it before me apparently finished it before the due date and turned it in, so I was able to get it yesterday and start it. It's a pretty short book (176 pages), for younger readers, but it's good so far. It's about a young girl named Ronia, the daughter of a chief of a group of robbers, and she becomes friends with the son of the chief of a rival robber group. Drama and robber quarrels ensue.

Definitely light, fanciful reading, which I like. Honestly, it's such an easy read, I may just have it done by this time next week, if not sooner. If that's the case, my next post in the reading thread will probably be a review.Smile

Lord I give you everything, Anything you want from me
Take my past and my future I lay it at your feet
Yeah, I'm after your heart, you've stolen mine
I give you my all 'cause you gave up your life
I'm not who I was simply because, Oh, you set me free

And you change me from what I used to be
Opened my eyes, now I can see
You're making this life so beautiful
So beautiful

~"Beautiful" by Dan Bremnes

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Nov 13 2015, 5:12pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 13 2015, 10:59pm

Post #17 of 18 (227 views)
Shortcut
I'm listening to the Amelia Peabody mysteries in audiobook format. [In reply to] Can't Post

I finished "The Curse of the Pharaohs" earlier this week, and I'm now working on "The Mummy Case."

The narrator, Barbara Rosenblatt, is superb!

I have a love/hate relationship with these books. They are fantastically well-written, and because the author, Elizabeth Peters aka Barbara Mertz, was a real Egyptologist herself, they are extremely authentic.

However, some of the characters rub me the wrong way. I love Amelia Peabody, even though she is hilariously blind to her own shortcomings. Her husband Emerson, on the other hand, is a blustering bully and a bit of a jerk, especially towards people whose values and beliefs he doesn't share. I adore Abdullah and Daoud and Selim, no complaints there. Ramses-the-child is amusing, though "catastrophically precocious." Ramses-the-adult in later books, however, is tedious, his wife Nefret is pathetic, and their marriage seems to me to be founded more in obsession than in true love, so it rings false to me.

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

RosieLass
Valinor

Nov 13 2015, 11:00pm

Post #18 of 18 (225 views)
Shortcut
We watched a few episodes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really struggled with their heavy Scots brogues, though, so I didn't get much out of them.

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.