The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - The Scripted Edit
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Nov 6 2015, 11:51pm

Post #26 of 39 (2063 views)
Shortcut
yes more, MORE [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think they went far enough with the dwarves. They developed backstories and relationships for them, but 90% of it didn't end up on screen. I don't think it would have been too difficult to spread out a few more character moments between the dwarves throughout an almost nine hour adaption of The Hobbit. By the time we get to BotFA, most of them are turned into mute extras (even in the extended edition). They didn't all need their own intricate character arc, but I think PJ could have done a better job of making sure the dwarves remained part of the movies' focus.

DainPig
Gondor

Nov 7 2015, 12:14am

Post #27 of 39 (2053 views)
Shortcut
But in AUJ extended edition [In reply to] Can't Post

In AUJ EE we see a lot of dwarven moments, and that is pretty good, one of the reasons I like the first movie more. PJ could have easely made this in the other two. The first act of DOS have some good moments of some dwarves, but the second and third act are painful with the others dwarves, like Gloin and Bifur.
BOTFA, in my opinion, is terrible with the dwarves, even the extended edition. The dwarven hero moments are basically about Bifur, Bofur and Bombur. That annoyed me so much Mad

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???
The pig, the life, the bacon

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

makingstarwars
Bree

Nov 7 2015, 1:43am

Post #28 of 39 (2045 views)
Shortcut
but if you don't have all 13 dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

Then Bilbo isn't the lucky number anymore

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Nov 7 2015, 2:09am

Post #29 of 39 (2041 views)
Shortcut
Not much can be said in response to such dubious and false claims [In reply to] Can't Post

Except, maybe: did you pay attention to the each of the films?

90% of the backstory and relationships between 12 side character dwarves did not make the cut? 90%? Are you sure that's not your own wishful thinking? You realize what would happen if P.J. had spent even just 5 - 10 minutes on personal character moments for each of these supporting roles (totaling around 1 - 2 of the 9 hours he would need to, you know, tell the story that's actually essential), right? A narrative mess the size of 'Age of Ultron,' schizophrenic nature and all, would break out. Supporting characters support the primary protagonists/antagonists and further the main plot, not become it. Granted, you said 'a few more,' but we already have more than a few more (which, in the source, was nigh zilch)!

But I digress; from your own words: you really believe the dwarves did not adequately remain part of the films' focus? Because if you remove the scenes introducing Radagast, the White Council, inside Thranduil's private room in Mirkwood and orc interrogation, the Master and Alfrid, a few setting up Azog's motives and summoning military strength, the survivors of Laketown moving into Dale and joining forces with Thranduil's army, the Dol Goldur battle, and the ride to Gundabad, and a couple quick flashbacks, *everything* that is left deals directly with the company (and it's a ton of footage).

I reiterate, some folk are never happy. P.J. never stood a chance.

[To a corpse] "You're looking so well, darling, you really are. They've done a marvelous job. I don't know what sort of cream they've put on you down at the morgue, but I want some."

- The Grand Budapest Hotel

Rohan

Nov 7 2015, 2:11am

Post #30 of 39 (2040 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget the chariot race [In reply to] Can't Post

'Cause that's a lot of not-Bifur, Bofur and Bombur.

[To a corpse] "You're looking so well, darling, you really are. They've done a marvelous job. I don't know what sort of cream they've put on you down at the morgue, but I want some."

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Nov 7 2015, 2:54am

Post #31 of 39 (2028 views)
Shortcut
Ok... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was obviously exaggerating about the 90%. Should I assume you're exaggerating about the 5-10 minute character moments? Because that's not at all what I was hoping for or talking about. I was talking about more of what we got in AUJ. Just little moments here and there to show off their personalities and maybe just a line or two here and there to establish more of their relationships. There's barely any of that in BotFA. And I meant focusing on the dwarves as individuals. It just seems strange to me that someone like Hilda has more lines than most of the company combined in BotFA. For example, Dori was such a fun character in AUJ, and it's sad that he didn't have any stand out moments in BotFA. Just a simple moment of him being fussy in some way would have been nice.

And I'm not sure why you're lashing out at me for having an opinion (an opinion that I and several other people on this board have expressed for quite a long time...this is nothing new). If criticizing the movie in any way means I'm one of those people that's "never happy," well I'm sorry. Sorry you feel every piece of criticism or discussion as a personal attack on you and PJ. If you feel the need to get upset with someone, look for the people that actually think these movies are terrible. Don't waste your energy on the ones that liked the movies and simply think they could have been better.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Nov 7 2015, 3:08am)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Nov 7 2015, 2:56am

Post #32 of 39 (2027 views)
Shortcut
lucky number [In reply to] Can't Post

They never brought up the whole lucky number thing in the movie though, so that actually wouldn't be part of the issue. Still a nice thing for fans of the book to acknowledge.

Rohan

Nov 7 2015, 6:29am

Post #33 of 39 (2015 views)
Shortcut
I apologize if it seemed as though I was lashing out at you [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't intend that, though I did sort of did mean to lash out at (what I feel are) unsubstantiated critiques at large, if only because they seem particularly prevalent with this trilogy - and in ways so utterly specific, the same types hardly ever seem to crop up during discussions of other popular franchises. I accept your exaggeration, and admit for my part that 5 - 10 minutes is probably pushing it, even for example's sake. I don't take every piece of criticism as a personal attack on me, though I do feel that often - certain! - methods of critiquing do P.J. and his collaborators a great deal of disservice. I'm sorry again if it felt as though I was singling you out, and I respect your unique opinion on the matter. No work of art is perfect, and true to this model, there are things about The Hobbit that I do not like and would have tried to change had I been in the writer/director's chair (the largest ones, for me, being Frodo's appearance at the beginning of AUJ and no verbal or even visual resolution on Thranduil's gems and whether or not the people of Laketown obtained the means to rebuild in BotFA).

As far as discussing these things with those who think the films are flat-out terrible, there's really no point. A couple of those selfsame individuals on here are about as responsive and enlightening as a wooden barn. Far more fun to dig into the work intellectually with those who actually have some investment in them! Tongue

clouddragon94@gmail.com
The Shire

Nov 8 2015, 10:39pm

Post #34 of 39 (1981 views)
Shortcut
Added a change to the script!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

UPDATE! I added the High Fells scene to this script as well as the Extended version, I did this because while writing for the second movie, I realized that it was better placed in the first film.

The updated script is available below:
https://thescriptededit.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-scripted-edit-te1.pdf

Ilmatar
Rohan

Nov 9 2015, 9:48am

Post #35 of 39 (1965 views)
Shortcut
A little wish :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Regarding this:

BOTFA, in my opinion, is terrible with the dwarves, even the extended edition. The dwarven hero moments are basically about Bifur, Bofur and Bombur. That annoyed me so much Mad

Some of us have not seen the EE and are waiting for the disks, trying to avoid all spoilers. Would it be possible (for everyone) to please keep the EE comments on the Hobbit board (which the "exiled ones" are avoiding)?
Or at least tag the post's subject line with the word "SPOILER" as has been the custom on TORn? Thank you! Smile

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Nov 9 2015, 10:58am

Post #36 of 39 (1960 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

When Dainpig wrote that post this topic was still on the Hobbit board, so don't be to angry with him.

Ilmatar
Rohan

Nov 9 2015, 11:23am

Post #37 of 39 (1957 views)
Shortcut
OK [In reply to] Can't Post

In that case, apologies to DainPig. I did not know the thread had been moved.

I suppose that the whole board is a "spoiler minefield" for a few weeks more, when threads can be moved from the Hobbit discussions to who knows where, without spoiler tags. Unsure

DainPig
Gondor

Nov 11 2015, 11:13pm

Post #38 of 39 (1919 views)
Shortcut
sorry for the spoilers Ilmatar [In reply to] Can't Post

I wrote that post when the topic was still in the hobbit board.

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???
The pig, the life, the bacon

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

Ilmatar
Rohan

Nov 12 2015, 8:16am

Post #39 of 39 (1910 views)
Shortcut
No, it's OK [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug the iron already told me that the topic had been moved from the Hobbit board, and I apologized to you in reply to him. Crazy Forgetting for a moment that for folks viewing the forum in threaded mode that may not have been visible unless you clicked it (I view in flat mode). So, sorry for being hasty - it did not occur to me at the time that topics can be moved from the Hobbit board without adding spoiler tags...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.