The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Tolkien-related street names

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Apr 13 2008, 8:54am

Post #1 of 25 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien-related street names Can't Post

This is certainly not the first time that this sort of thread has popped up here. However, in the depth of the night, in the dark folds of the internet, I discovered something pretty cool...

Google Map search! Rather than using the old Thomas Guides, the powers of the internet allow endless searching for obscure street names!

Anyone who knows me will know the first name I tried in Google Map Search. And here's what I found.

Someone in New Mexico is a large Tolkien fan. I counted a dozen Tolkien-related street names in that small area.

I then searched up Tolkien, and found a place in Las Vegas and two places in SoCal. I particularly loved how Tolkien was placed with other great authors here and here.

I myself live really close to a Rivendell Ct. Anyone else live near a Middle-earth named street? Or, if they are feeling particularly bored, want to try and find a clump of Tolkien-related streets that goes beyond the 12ish I found? :D

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 13 2008, 9:40am

Post #2 of 25 (905 views)
Shortcut
The best one has to be ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Buckland Road, which is the road near Matamata where they built Hobbiton. Serendipity or what?

Akaroa jetty, New Zealand, March 2008

Akaroa jetty

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Apr 13 2008, 2:20pm

Post #3 of 25 (868 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason I'd never thought to try that. Oh wow, there have to live quite a few Tolkien fans for having so many streets named for Tolkien characters! Wouldn't that be the perfect place for a few TORnsibs to live?

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Apr 13 2008, 2:24pm

Post #4 of 25 (875 views)
Shortcut
I remember that... [In reply to] Can't Post

I ran across a street named "Mt. Moria" while I was in North Carolina a few weeks ago- that was pretty funny (I remember wondering if it was time to put down the copy of LOTR that had been glued to my hands during the trip...)
Smile

SandWitch King
Rohan

Apr 13 2008, 8:55pm

Post #5 of 25 (873 views)
Shortcut
What would be exceptionally cool is . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Putting together a comprehensive guide to such places and then sticking it somewhere on TORn as a webpage.

A lot of work, and I don't expect anybody to tackle it, but it would be exceptional.

Board names nobody has used yet: TheWightBrother(s), Barrow Wong, Pryftan, Elvish Pressley . . . email or message me further suggestions!

Mar
Gondor

Apr 14 2008, 1:35am

Post #6 of 25 (841 views)
Shortcut
Generally, I change regular street names into Tolkien related ones [In reply to] Can't Post

It is an entertaining way to pass the time when driving long distance.
I have changed (in my head) the street name of my 'new' home from Arnos to Arnor. See how fun?

It's the little things in life.

Life isn't about finding yourself, it is about creating yourself.

WhiteLadyEowyn
Rivendell

Apr 14 2008, 4:44am

Post #7 of 25 (869 views)
Shortcut
My favorite Gandalf the Grey costumer.. [In reply to] Can't Post

.. lives on ShadowGlen Court.

Many many times we have threatened to change it to Shadowfax Court.Laugh

Owlyross
Rohan

Apr 14 2008, 2:43pm

Post #8 of 25 (816 views)
Shortcut
South Woodham Ferrers in Essex , UK [In reply to] Can't Post

Has a whole bunch, including a Westmarch, White Tree Court, Celeborn St, Arwen Grove, Gandalf's Ride etc...

http://maps.google.co.uk/...95,0.019805&z=16

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 14 2008, 2:58pm

Post #9 of 25 (811 views)
Shortcut
I loved that. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was on the bus to the farm, and the guide pointed that out I burst out laughing. Serendipity, indeed!

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 14 2008, 3:34pm

Post #10 of 25 (800 views)
Shortcut
Not a street, but there is a Rivendell Bed and Breakfast in Athens, Georgia [In reply to] Can't Post

The outside looks slightly Elven, but the inside is your typical country-style B&B.

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 14 2008, 3:35pm

Post #11 of 25 (796 views)
Shortcut
and a Middle Earth Street in Las Vegas. // [In reply to] Can't Post

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 14 2008, 3:37pm

Post #12 of 25 (805 views)
Shortcut
That would be cool. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be happy to start researching US street names and businesses if anyone would care to help me out.

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 14 2008, 4:06pm

Post #13 of 25 (811 views)
Shortcut
There's a community near me [In reply to] Can't Post

called Rivendell. I used to drive by there quite often and always meant to get a picture of myself by their sign but never got around to it.

There's another community near me with Tolkien street names. I've never been there but my husband did some work in that area and got pictures of some of the street signs. There's Gollum Road, Baggins Road, Pippin (something), Aragorn Court, Strider Court, and Mordor Court. We actually got some mail at work from Mordor Court and, of course, our mail person had to show it to me. Wouldn't it be cool to live in that neighborhood?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 14 2008, 4:40pm

Post #14 of 25 (813 views)
Shortcut
How about a Stellar Look at Tolkien names [In reply to] Can't Post

Take a look at what the moon has to offer (look closely); and some more interesting tidbits here.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Oden
Rivendell

Apr 14 2008, 10:52pm

Post #15 of 25 (812 views)
Shortcut
An entire Middle Earth neighborhood... [In reply to] Can't Post

All in one neighborhood not far from mine:

Link

Shire Circle
Dimrall Dr
Ettenmor Circle
Gandalf Dr
Rivendell Rd.
Brandy Buck
Brandy Wine
Treebeard Rd
Bree St
Wilderland Ln
Mirkwood Ln

(This post was edited by Oden on Apr 14 2008, 10:56pm)

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Apr 15 2008, 12:04am

Post #16 of 25 (800 views)
Shortcut
oh- this is not really a street, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just in Kansas at a festival hosted by this school- which had a middle school called "Beren Middle School"

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Apr 15 2008, 2:01am

Post #17 of 25 (806 views)
Shortcut
New Jersey [In reply to] Can't Post

My brother-in-Law lives on Rivendel Rd. in Sucasuna New Jersey......

SandWitch King
Rohan

Apr 16 2008, 8:45am

Post #18 of 25 (771 views)
Shortcut
Do it! [In reply to] Can't Post

My plate is full at the moment but that would be a mighty compendium.

Board names nobody has used yet: TheWightBrother(s), Barrow Wong, Pryftan, Elvish Pressley . . . email or message me further suggestions!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 16 2008, 9:45am

Post #19 of 25 (777 views)
Shortcut
*hand shoots up* I'm crazy busy [In reply to] Can't Post

and am still working on Collectibles Lists and Observations Lists, but I'd love to collaborate with you, deej! PM me and let me know what your plan of attack it :D don't email me. I'm having trouble getting to my emails right now, and I'm being horribly neglectful.

This is gonna be fun!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Nessa Inglorion
The Shire

Apr 18 2008, 2:34am

Post #20 of 25 (762 views)
Shortcut
yep, here in Jersey by me their is a housing community with Rivendell in the name [In reply to] Can't Post

and I wanted to take a shot with it's sign, too LOL Too bad the townhomes aren't cute (at least on t he outside) There are some nicer ones right next door, that I wished had that title. I might have seriously considered moving their , just so I can say that I lived in Rivendell LOL

kat

Apr 18 2008, 2:39pm

Post #21 of 25 (758 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien related places [In reply to] Can't Post

We were going up to Niagra falls and I was reading the maps and in the Mohican forest in northern Ohio I saw there was a Brandywine Falls and Brandywine river listed. I made the family pull off so I could see it and I now have pictures of me at the Brandywine. There was also supposedly a bridge somewhere close by but they didn't want to wait for me to find it. I had the urge to say Brandewine bridge 20 milesWink ~Kate

Me Govannen Mellonamin

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2008, 5:51pm

Post #22 of 25 (756 views)
Shortcut
This isn't a street... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but it's very cool. I found a Brandywine River once (I don't remember where we were, but I thought it was really cool!).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Apr 18 2008, 6:08pm

Post #23 of 25 (768 views)
Shortcut
Pennsylvania or Delaware, maybe? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that I've ever bragged about all the Brandywine stuff here in PA or anything. =)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 19 2008, 9:08pm

Post #24 of 25 (774 views)
Shortcut
I live at Bofur (Geldrop, The Netherlands) [In reply to] Can't Post

And my entire neighbourhood had LOTR-names. Next to my street there are Bifur, Fili, Kili, Gloin, Gimli, Peregrin. And ofcourse there is Aragorn, Galadriel, Legolas, Frodo, Nimrodel, Saruman, Arwen, Eomer, Eowyn, Fangorn and I could go on for a while. So if you need any help recording these once, just let me know, it is just a step out of my door (only you never know what will happen after thatWink)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 19 2008, 9:36pm

Post #25 of 25 (775 views)
Shortcut
Now THAT is Tolkien overload! [In reply to] Can't Post

And absolutely wonderful - you're one lucky geek!

(And do post more often! Smile)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.