Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Battle of the Five Armies EE: Appendices Reaction Thread (Spoilers!)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 20 2015, 4:01am

Post #1 of 180 (4455 views)
Shortcut
Battle of the Five Armies EE: Appendices Reaction Thread (Spoilers!) Can't Post

see you all tomorrow....

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something."

"What are we holding onto, Sam?"

"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for."

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Oct 20 2015, 10:30am)

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 20 2015, 4:26am

Post #2 of 180 (4293 views)
Shortcut
Okay, two great nuggets from the appendices [In reply to] Can't Post

1) PJ says in the intro video they had no idea what they were doing (!)
2) The Gandalf dummy from Dol Guldur is on the call sheet as Michael Gambon (lol!!)

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something."

"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for."

(This post was edited by nusilver on Oct 20 2015, 4:26am)

Dcole4
Rohan

Oct 20 2015, 4:29am

Post #3 of 180 (4275 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Kind of sad that the production was so crazy. I love the movies but I sincerely wish they had just pushed the whole endeavor back a year to plan it properly.

2) Super funny about the dummy. He's often made Gambon jokes, all in good fun of course.

Let us know if you spot any deleted scenes or glimpses of footage like the DOS EE. Can't wait to watch the appendices!

(This post was edited by Dcole4 on Oct 20 2015, 4:30am)

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 20 2015, 4:35am

Post #4 of 180 (4261 views)
Shortcut
I'll do my best :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1) Kind of sad that the production was so crazy. I love the movies but I sincerely wish they had just pushed the whole endeavor back a year to plan it properly.

2) Super funny about the dummy. He's often made Gambon jokes, all in good fun of course.

Let us know if you spot any deleted scenes or glimpses of footage like the DOS EE. Can't wait to watch the appendices!

I have the privilege of being a super nerd with a very good job that lets me take whatever time off I want, so I'll be up all night watching before revisiting the film tomorrow. I'll do my best to point things out, but I want to actually let this stuff seep into me, too. So far, though, the first 30 minutes has been just fantastic. Smiles, laughter, and just good times all around.

One more little nugget from Christopher Lee:

"That's what it's all about: to be seen, and to be remembered."

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Oct 20 2015, 4:41am

Post #5 of 180 (4245 views)
Shortcut
You watched the Appendices? [In reply to] Can't Post

If yes, can you tell me if PJ or anyone said something about the scene with the palantir in Dol Guldur? Smile

LSF
Gondor

Oct 20 2015, 4:42am

Post #6 of 180 (4234 views)
Shortcut
question [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm about to break down and buy it...

I can't see a part where they tell you how it works. So do the appendices stream or do you have to download those too? My laptop would probably explode if it had to download ten hours of hd footage like that

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 20 2015, 4:47am

Post #7 of 180 (4234 views)
Shortcut
No Palantir! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If yes, can you tell me if PJ or anyone said something about the scene with the palantir in Dol Guldur? Smile

No mention of the Palantir in the Dol Guldur section, sorry! There's still a minute but they're just being silly now.

Cate Blanchett admits she didn't want it to and, and is (at the time of recording the documentary footage) still hoping beyond hope she gets to come back and play Galadriel again. She says this in the context of reshoots, but hey... at least we know she'd be interested in reprising her role in The Silmarillion :-)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2015, 4:50am

Post #8 of 180 (4214 views)
Shortcut
*grumble* So jealous... *grumble* *grumble* [In reply to] Can't Post

This is what I get for seeing the movie early. You digital download folks get to enjoy the sugary goodness of the Appendices a whole month before I do.

Mad

Tongue

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 20 2015, 4:51am

Post #9 of 180 (4213 views)
Shortcut
Depends on what you use to watch. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm about to break down and buy it...

I can't see a part where they tell you how it works. So do the appendices stream or do you have to download those too? My laptop would probably explode if it had to download ten hours of hd footage like that

On a computer, you can definitely stream all of the appendices -- only the movie has the option to download with the latest version of iTunes Extras (as they call it.)

On any iOS device running iOS 8.0 or higher, every extra can be streamed and the movie can be downloaded!

And on an Apple TV (how I'm watching tonight/tomorrow), you stream everything! Apple's servers are VERY fast, so don't worry about speed - it should look and sound great no matter what device you use.

One thing to note - just like previous versions, the filmmaker's commentary track is exclusive to disc versions - it's not a supported feature on digital releases. I buy both because I like to watch on my iPad when I'm traveling, and I like the Apple ecosystem. Anyway, I'm rambling. Hope that helps!

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 20 2015, 4:53am

Post #10 of 180 (4211 views)
Shortcut
I saw it in theaters too :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This is what I get for seeing the movie early. You digital download folks get to enjoy the sugary goodness of the Appendices a whole month before I do.

Mad

Tongue

I'm just SO thrilled the EE was so good. And now these appendices are doing it for me in a HUGE way.

By the way - PJ is not interviewed for Andrew Lesnie's tribute, but PB is. It's very emotional and features a great montage of him being silly or lovable on set.

(This post was edited by nusilver on Oct 20 2015, 4:55am)

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Oct 20 2015, 4:56am

Post #11 of 180 (4197 views)
Shortcut
Oh well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Guess we'll never hear or see anything regarding that palantir scene Unsure.

(This post was edited by ThorinsNemesis on Oct 20 2015, 4:58am)

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 20 2015, 4:57am

Post #12 of 180 (4194 views)
Shortcut
You never know! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Guess we'll never hear or see anything regarding that scene Unsure.

I've watched only 35 minutes of 10 hours so far! But I definitely finished the Dol Guldur video in Part 11. If I see any mention of Palantir, I'll say something :-)

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer." - Samwise

(This post was edited by nusilver on Oct 20 2015, 4:58am)

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Oct 20 2015, 4:59am

Post #13 of 180 (4183 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate that Smile.

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 20 2015, 5:06am

Post #14 of 180 (4182 views)
Shortcut
A family affair! [In reply to] Can't Post

Family that has appeared so far:

*Cate Blanchett's son
*Orlando Bloom's mom as a Lake-Town Extra
*Orlando Bloom's son! (Didn't know he was a daddy)

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer." - Samwise

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Oct 20 2015, 5:12am

Post #15 of 180 (4159 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

^^I didn't know Orlando Bloom has a son, too Shocked

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 20 2015, 5:31am

Post #16 of 180 (4126 views)
Shortcut
Smaug's death shot! [In reply to] Can't Post

Was based, at the hands of senior animator Graham Binding, on Tolkien's sketch which graces the cover of the 1968 Unwin paperback release of The Hobbit.

I feel like I need to track down that book now. What a great but of insight!

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 20 2015, 5:35am

Post #17 of 180 (4115 views)
Shortcut
Unused acorn scene footage! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a couple of hours behind, but I just looked ahead, and there's footage of an unused payoff to the "Acorn Scene"! So excited, but I gotta watch chronologically!

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 20 2015, 5:46am

Post #18 of 180 (4095 views)
Shortcut
Oh. My. God. [In reply to] Can't Post

A hilarious gag where it appears a helicopter carries away a port-a-potty... with Andy Serkis in it. I love it.

ThorinsNemesis
Lorien

Oct 20 2015, 6:07am

Post #19 of 180 (4043 views)
Shortcut
^^Acorn scene?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you think maybe after you watch it you can describe what happens in the scene with the Acorn? :)

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 20 2015, 6:11am

Post #20 of 180 (4034 views)
Shortcut
You bet! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Do you think maybe after you watch it you can describe what happens in the scene with the Acorn? :)

Yes, of course! I have about 90 minutes to go before I get there though - it will be around 4am my time when I get to it. But get to it I shall, with ThorinsNemesis as my witness!!!

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 20 2015, 6:22am

Post #21 of 180 (4018 views)
Shortcut
Ryan Gage [In reply to] Can't Post

Ryan Gage had to actually muck slowly through Lake Pukaki, which according to a crew member is one of the coldest lakes in the world. At one point, he expresses trepidation about having to hold an extra underwater as he climbs over her, which I'd never really thought about before.

Anyway, those two seemed to be the only ones who had to be actually submerged, which maybe explains Alfrid's "WHHHHYYYYY MEEEEEEEE" a little bit.

Also - they used a group of about 10-15 kids to record background sounds of Laketown citizens suffering on the lakes. Pretty amusing.

Also also - Ryan Gage's pants split apart at the crotch when they picked him up to tear him apart... and even after being sewed, they split again at every single take. Funny.

(This post was edited by nusilver on Oct 20 2015, 6:26am)

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 20 2015, 6:30am

Post #22 of 180 (3995 views)
Shortcut
Continuity errors! [In reply to] Can't Post

We get to see the production pointing out that Gandalf's hat is off when he leaves Dol Guldur, and back on his head in the next shot he appears in. Part of a larger feature about continuity errors.

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 20 2015, 6:41am

Post #23 of 180 (3984 views)
Shortcut
Peter - no prep time [In reply to] Can't Post

As we all know, PJ had no time to prep these movies. In the appendices, it's discussed in serial what shooting every day with virtually no prep was like - "laying down the tracks directly in front of the train." It's insane.

That environment apparently remained for the entire length of the shoot.

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 20 2015, 6:55am

Post #24 of 180 (3955 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's breaking moment [In reply to] Can't Post

The point at which Thorin has his dragon sickness-induced hallucination... was written in the script as "Thorin sees his reflection in a gold plate." And they didn't know what they were going to do with the scene until a month before the film was due to WB. The moment with the gold floor was a revelation - they didn't even think about that floor being full of gold from the melted statue at the end of the second film.

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 20 2015, 6:59am

Post #25 of 180 (3937 views)
Shortcut
Paint on sets [In reply to] Can't Post

Often in the last couple weeks of shooting, the PAINT WAS STILL WET on set!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.