The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Happy (Belated) Dwarven New Year!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 16 2015, 4:45pm

Post #1 of 10 (508 views)
Shortcut
Happy (Belated) Dwarven New Year! Can't Post

I'm a little late with this, but by my calculations, October 14 was the first day of the Dwarven New Year converted into our modern Gregorian calendar (24 Winterfilth by Shire Reckoning). I apologize for not realizing this before so I could have posted in a more timely manner.

If it makes you feel better, feel free to get your Dwarf on on October 24 instead!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 16 2015, 4:47pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 16 2015, 6:27pm

Post #2 of 10 (488 views)
Shortcut
Future Dwarven New Years [In reply to] Can't Post

"The first day of the dwarves' New Year," said Thorin, "is as all should know the first day of the last moon of Autumn on the threshold of Winter. We still call it Durin's Day when the last moon of Autumn and the sun are in the sky together." - The Hobbit, Chapter 3 "A Short Rest"

Assumptions:
1. Durin's Day, TA 2941 fell on the first day of the last week of the Dwarves' autumn.
2. The Battle of Five armies was fought late in the eleventh month of Blotmath on the Shire calendar.
3. The Battle of Five Armies was fought approximately three to four weeks after Durin's Day.
4. Gandalf, Bilbo and Beorn must have left Erebor by the end of Blotmath to reach the Anduin Vales by the beginning of Yuletide (29 Foreyule to 2 Afteryule, or from 18 to 23 December, Gregorian calendar).
5. The Dwarves of Erebor probably observed the beginning of Winter at or near the start of Blotmath (about our October 21, give or take a few days).
6. Rule of Thumb: Subtract 10 days from the Shire Calendar to find the equivalent date on the Gregorian calendar.

Gregorian Date for Dwarven New Year

2016: October 2
2017: September 21 or October 21 (1 Blotmath)
2018: October 10
2019: September 29
2020: October 17
2021: October 7
2022: September 27 or October 26 (6 Blotmath)
2023: October 16
2024: October 4
2025: September 23 or October 22 (2 Blotmath)

I tend to dismiss any date after October 20 on my assumption that the Dwarves' Winter begins on 1 Blotmath. Your mileage may vary, so I have included the alternate date.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 16 2015, 6:39pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 16 2015, 7:07pm

Post #3 of 10 (474 views)
Shortcut
*scribbles notes frantically* [In reply to] Can't Post

This is so very cool! Me thinks I have some work to do on TIME!!!! ;)

THANKS FOR THIS!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 16 2015, 7:37pm

Post #4 of 10 (474 views)
Shortcut
Durin's Day: Dwarven New Year, TA 2941 [In reply to] Can't Post

My best estimate for Durin's Day in Tolkien's The Hobbit is 22 Winterfilth, TA 2941. For us that might work out to October 12 on our own calendar (depending on how one converts the date). Easier to keep it to October 22 on your "Time" threads, just as we observe Bilbo and Frodo's birthdays on September 22 rather than converting them to, say, September 12.

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 17 2015, 4:39am

Post #5 of 10 (446 views)
Shortcut
I've heard it calculated [In reply to] Can't Post

that October 19th was a theory. I especially latched onto that because I've hated my birthday for YEARS (October birthdays suck when you don't celebrate Halloween on principle but the rest of the country does Crazy).

However, knowing that Durin's Day could have landed on my birthday made the nerd in me far more accepting of my late October birthday Sly

I'm sure, given that you have Oct 17th, and Oct 16th, and Oct 22 as potential dates for it, Oct 19 isn't that implausible.

Ah well...if not exactly ON my birthday, at least it's close. And the Tolkien nerd in me is satisfied Heart

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 17 2015, 12:07pm

Post #6 of 10 (421 views)
Shortcut
Durin's Day, TA 2941 [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep in mind that the Dwarven New Year falls on a different day each year and Durin's Day does not occur every year. The problem with October 19 is that it is only ten days after the company departs from Lake-town (in the book), and only one week after they arrive at the Lonely Mountain. It took about that long for Bilbo just to discover the hidden path and for the camp to be moved to the doorstep. And then there were at least several more days until Durin's Day. October 19 is just too early to be the date of Durin's Day in The Hobbit.

That series of dates you are citing is for when the Dwarven New Year should fall on our own modern calendar over the next few years. They don't apply to the date for Durin's Day in The Hobbit.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Oct 17 2015, 1:42pm

Post #7 of 10 (415 views)
Shortcut
I think that's great [In reply to] Can't Post

A Durin's Day birthday sounds pretty terrific, so I would go ahead and enjoy. Maybe you and your girls can make some dwarf size cupcakes with little candy "jewels" on top. Smile

And be glad for your October birthday. My birthday is 9/11. Frown

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 17 2015, 2:51pm

Post #8 of 10 (406 views)
Shortcut
cupcakes [In reply to] Can't Post

that is a great idea! Not sure if I would have the time though- I fully intend to take my day off from chores and homeschool (all the family birthdays are school holidays) and just do an EE marathon the day before the digital release, and in the evening go on a rare date with my hubby Sly

I used to be a cake decorator, but I confess that, while I like cake (homemade- I think box mixes are disgusting personally), I have never been able to stomach a lot of icing. And if I were to do the company of Thorin Oakenshield justice, there would have to be a LOT of icing just to make sure I get enough hair on them!

However, I may try my hand at it someday, if only to see if I can do it Wink But I won't be eating them after! In fact, I'll probably sit in an inconspicuous corner and cry after I see all that hard work consumed in the span of minutes. I can and have done wedding cakes, and they're a LOT of work, and yes I've felt like crying afterward seeing something I worked so hard on and finally got perfect sliced and diced by knives. The curse of the cake decorator, I guess Evil

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 17 2015, 7:31pm

Post #9 of 10 (391 views)
Shortcut
Celebrate! [In reply to] Can't Post

If you want to celebrate Durin's Day on your birthday, go right ahead! I think that any time in the last part of October (or even early November?) is close enough to make a party out of it. If I remember correctly, my in-laws once hosted a Halloween party a full three-weeks before October 31.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 17 2015, 7:32pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 17 2015, 11:22pm

Post #10 of 10 (381 views)
Shortcut
I just might do that [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.