The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Back to the Coolidge Theatre in Boston

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 11 2008, 10:08pm

Post #1 of 23 (780 views)
Shortcut
Back to the Coolidge Theatre in Boston Can't Post

Greetings Boston area (and anyone else who wants to make the trip!) sibs! I've been pondering about a date to get together at the Coolidge Theatre again (as some of us did back in March), and I wondered about Sunday 8th June? I have yet to book anything so I don't know if the theatre will be available, but thought I'd throw the date out here and see for how many sibs that might work. Frodo_hoy? Losse? Entmaiden - fancy making the trip that weekend? deej? CAhobbit? L.Ron? Anyone else care to join?

I also wondered which movie we should watch. We did FotR last time, so the logical choice would be TTT, but I somehow feel inclined to skip to the end of the trilogy and watch RotK. What does anyone else think?

If there are a few folks who are keen to do this, I'll try to get it booked up. It would be great if folks coming could chip in to the cost of the theatre rental this time; but hopefully I will get it half price again, so it shouldn't be too much!

What say you?? Smile

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 12 2008, 2:06pm

Post #2 of 23 (514 views)
Shortcut
Can't make it that weekend - darn! [In reply to] Can't Post

My sister and I are being invaded by siblings and family that weekend. One of my cousins is having a book published and everyone's descending on the Printer's Row Book Fair http://www.chicagotribune.com/.../events/printersrow/ where my cousin will be doing some readings and book signings. We have family arriving on Wednesday night and staying through Sunday.

The following weekend is the Old Town Art Fair http://www.oldtownartfair.org/ which is in my neighborhood. My condo building will be having a party in our courtyard, and I'll be having an open house all day Saturday.

I would love to visit Boston - it's one of my favorite cities.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 12 2008, 10:03pm

Post #3 of 23 (515 views)
Shortcut
Weekend before any good? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing is firmed up at present so these things are flexible!! Cool

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 13 2008, 3:35am

Post #4 of 23 (531 views)
Shortcut
As always, i would wish for the chance, [In reply to] Can't Post

but things are so buZy and too far for one day travel. I will be there in spirit.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 13 2008, 3:05pm

Post #5 of 23 (524 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

Beside frantically cleaning my house and making those last-minute repairs before the family invades, I've got nothing on the schedule!

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Frodo Hoy
Bree

Apr 14 2008, 1:06pm

Post #6 of 23 (527 views)
Shortcut
Possibility [In reply to] Can't Post

I have some members of my department taking vacation in early June (we have a number of vacation days to use or lose by the end of June) and I haven't set the replacement schedule, though my options are limited and I may have to work both of the first two Sundays in June. It is a virtual certainty that June 1 is out for me.

The last three Sundays in June are more likely for me (I'm the one on vacation then, and I have no big travel plans for this vacation).

In any case, RotK sounds like a good plan. I cherish the prospect of experiencing the lighting of the beacons sequence again on something other than the TV in my living room. I hope I can be there whenever you decide. I think, too, Mrs. FH would enjoy accompanying me and meeting you and the others who are able to make it.

"From some way off, or so it seemed, he thought he heard a cry: 'Hoy! Frodo! Hoy!' .. 'Frodo! Hoy!' came the thin voices out of the mist."

Fog on the Barrow-downs

Frodo Hoy
Bree

Apr 15 2008, 1:15am

Post #7 of 23 (545 views)
Shortcut
Okay, either of the first two Sundays [In reply to] Can't Post

are probably workable for me, too. I've got some people hungry for overtime, which makes my life easier. Any weekend in June could work.

So go for whatever works best for you and I'll try to make my schedule work.

"From some way off, or so it seemed, he thought he heard a cry: 'Hoy! Frodo! Hoy!' .. 'Frodo! Hoy!' came the thin voices out of the mist."

Fog on the Barrow-downs

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 16 2008, 8:55pm

Post #8 of 23 (502 views)
Shortcut
great - good to know! Anyone else?? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm stil waiting to hear from others - and from the Coolidge - so no final plan as yet. June 1st or June 8th folks? What say ye?

Lossefalme
Gondor

Apr 21 2008, 2:31am

Post #9 of 23 (490 views)
Shortcut
I think either might be okay! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't talked to Mr. Losse yet, but there's nothing on the calendar for either of the first two weekends. Saturdays are probably easier than Sundays, but that doesn't really matter too much. I would be happy to chip in this time. As far as which one to watch goes, RotK would be fine with me, but I love TTT, too. Just spending time with 'sibs and watching with you guys is a joy.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Join us every Thursday in the Movie Discussion Forum for GOLD Nuggets, an exploration of the Geeky Observation Lists maintained by our very own grammaboodawg.

Lossefalme
Gondor

Apr 21 2008, 2:32am

Post #10 of 23 (458 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

You could stay here and we could go up and back together. It's not bad from my house...

Join us every Thursday in the Movie Discussion Forum for GOLD Nuggets, an exploration of the Geeky Observation Lists maintained by our very own grammaboodawg.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 21 2008, 3:21am

Post #11 of 23 (558 views)
Shortcut
Those weekends [In reply to] Can't Post

I might be available...unfortunately I can't plan anything too far in advance at present, due to my parents' situation Frown. I'm afraid I'm not able to be very helpful at all!

But if I can make it, I'll be happy to chip in, as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Lossefalme
Gondor

Apr 21 2008, 10:27pm

Post #12 of 23 (477 views)
Shortcut
Play it by ear, then! [In reply to] Can't Post

If you drove to my house we could make the rest of the trip together... I would love to see you and if you can go it would give you a nice little break. You and your family continue to be in my prayers.Heart

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 21 2008, 10:52pm

Post #13 of 23 (471 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

For the offer, and for your prayers! I'll know more in May - I've been making trips up to my parents' whenever possible, and maybe I can coordinate something - we'll see!

*hugs!*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 23 2008, 10:58pm

Post #14 of 23 (478 views)
Shortcut
still waiting to hear from the Coolidge... [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't forgotten! Just haven't heard back from them about possible dates. Right now I'm aiming for June 1st, as that's the weekend that *might* work for entmaiden. You other folks, pencil it in and if some of you can carpool/sleep over with each other, etc. that would be fabulous! More when I hear back from the theatre...

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 25 2008, 1:56am

Post #15 of 23 (490 views)
Shortcut
OK, so I heard back from the Coolidge... [In reply to] Can't Post

And the good news is, they can do any Sunday for us in June - 1st, 8th or 15th. 15th is not great for me - I may well have gone back to the UK by then - and I know 8th doesn't work for entmaiden. So maybe the 1st? But I'm happy to take votes, of course, as to what works best for most people.

So, here are the detail: they can give us 11am-4.30pm on Sunday June 1, 8 or 15 (for the amazingly cheap price of $250 - that's less than half what they would normally charge!). My vote goes to watching RotK on Sunday 1st, but what works for others? Anyone want to make the journey from out of town? I hope entmaiden can come, but if she can't, my spare room is open! Any New England sibs going to be able to carpool and make it up together? Sil? dernwyn? Losse? Frodo_Hoy? What say you all?

All are welcome! I hope we can get a merry meeting together, and revel in the company of 'sibs, enjoy RotK, and celebrate the Hobbit news together!

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Apr 25 2008, 12:12pm

Post #16 of 23 (444 views)
Shortcut
Whichever day works for the others, I'm there./ [In reply to] Can't Post

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2008, 1:47pm

Post #17 of 23 (472 views)
Shortcut
So much pressure! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to see what I can do. The family arrives Wednesday night and I'm taking Thursday and Friday off (this is the 5th and 6th of June). IF I can take a couple days off that week (or work from home) on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday so I can get my house in order, I can come to Boston for the weekend of the 1st.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Lossefalme
Gondor

Apr 25 2008, 3:03pm

Post #18 of 23 (465 views)
Shortcut
Ist or 8th - Whatever works for the most people. [In reply to] Can't Post

The 15th is out for me because it's Father's Day. Sundays are tough with church and all, but as long as I know in advance and can sign myself out, I s/b okay. I'm already excited!

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2008, 4:16pm

Post #19 of 23 (476 views)
Shortcut
Sadly, I won't be able to make it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just not enough money and vacation time to go around! But i'll be there in spirit. Unsure

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 26 2008, 8:24pm

Post #20 of 23 (477 views)
Shortcut
1st is looking most likely for now... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be there and so will L.Ron! I'm hoping Losse and dernwyn will make it too. Sil, any chance? Frodo_hoy, are you and your wife able to join us? And then I'm keeping my fingers crossed that entmaiden *might* make it! (entmaiden, you're welcome to come as early as you like if you have any time off the week before!)

Anyone else in the Boston/New England area? All are welcome! Just let me know asap and I'll confirm the booking at the Coolidge! I'm happy to provide food again! Smile

Lossefalme
Gondor

Apr 27 2008, 1:11am

Post #21 of 23 (495 views)
Shortcut
I'll bring some munchies, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

After all, we will be attending a coronation. I think I'll try to squeeze TTT in sometime between now and then just for fun. Can't wait!

silneldor
Half-elven

Apr 27 2008, 5:40pm

Post #22 of 23 (474 views)
Shortcut
Hi guys! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we will try to make it up there to visit you all. It would be great to take a movie in with my tornsibs againSmile.
We will just have to work out the roadgistics and such. Gad, i wish i could fit 3 on a motorcycleUnsureLaugh.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

Frodo Hoy
Bree

May 5 2008, 3:30am

Post #23 of 23 (860 views)
Shortcut
Mrs. FH and I should be there [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll have to get up a bit earlier than usual on a Sunday to make the 8:00am service at our church, then we'll make the drive to town afterward. The Sox are playing in Baltimore on the 1st, so traffic shouldn't be too terrible.

Should be a fun day.

Fog on the Barrow-downs

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.