The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Quote missing from the extended cut *spoiler*

Bree

Oct 14 2015, 3:03am

Post #1 of 8 (3788 views)
Shortcut
Quote missing from the extended cut *spoiler* Can't Post

"everything I did, I did it for them" NOT IN THE EXTENDED CUT

but now that I think about it, I can't even see any part in the film where such a scene would fit

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Oct 14 2015, 3:37am)

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Oct 14 2015, 3:30am

Post #2 of 8 (3668 views)
Shortcut
you should really put a spoiler alert! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 14 2015, 3:37am

Post #3 of 8 (3638 views)
Shortcut
Fixed. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Oct 14 2015, 3:42am

Post #4 of 8 (3621 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen it, but lots of people have been saying they're avoiding spoilers.

Bree

Oct 14 2015, 3:48am

Post #5 of 8 (3600 views)
Shortcut
sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry about that

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Oct 14 2015, 4:25am

Post #6 of 8 (3549 views)
Shortcut
np, mistakes happen! and it's fixed now [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Oct 14 2015, 4:49am

Post #7 of 8 (3514 views)
Shortcut
it is missing though [In reply to] Can't Post

And you're right, I don't know where it would fit exactly, though I still like the line a lot.

I kind of feel like there's still a scene missing from the beginning before the "Gold beyond sorrow" line, where Thorin officially goes over the edge (presumably because he thinks Fili and Kili are dead in Laketown). Maybe it would've gone there?

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 14 2015, 5:32am

Post #8 of 8 (3460 views)
Shortcut
agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it's a short line, but it's said with so much emotion, and if included think it would have showed more of why the emotionally destroyed Thorin would be even more susceptible to dragon sickness. Even the lines "gold, beyond sorrow, beyond grief" make me suspect that there was a scene before the dwarves are watching Laketown burn, where the dwarves react to knowing their family members are now in danger.

But that scenario would have taken more minutes, and then shift to the dwarves being outside. Still, it would have been a logical reaction for the dwarves. Maybe in some mega-director recut one day.UnsureTongue

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.