Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
extended cut a mixed bag

Bree

Oct 14 2015, 2:50am

Post #1 of 15 (4922 views)
Shortcut
extended cut a mixed bag Can't Post

it did a good job giving more character to the dwarves I felt and giving them better closure including the added funeral scene, but Bard, the Laketowners, Thranduil. and Taurien were not given any new scenes.

AshNazg
Gondor

Oct 14 2015, 2:52am

Post #2 of 15 (4861 views)
Shortcut
Darn, was hoping for more Taurien // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2015, 2:57am

Post #3 of 15 (4819 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

And more Thranduil. Though I could have sworN someone said he at least gets more fighting and I consider that a new scene. But why go to all that trouble to put so much emphasis on the necklace and then not wrap up that story line? *grumble*

Alright, I'm calling it now...I say they're just holding some stuff back so they can have a Super Extended Edition Multi Pack some time down the road where they add more stuff to all three movies! Hope springs eternal, does it not?WinkSmile

Lord I give you everything, Anything you want from me
Take my past and my future I lay it at your feet
Yeah, I'm after your heart, you've stolen mine
I give you my all 'cause you gave up your life
I'm not who I was simply because, Oh, you set me free

And you change me from what I used to be
Opened my eyes, now I can see
You're making this life so beautiful
So beautiful

~"Beautiful" by Dan Bremnes

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2015, 3:02am

Post #4 of 15 (4780 views)
Shortcut
Bard had a tiny bit of new footage [In reply to] Can't Post

as he is escaping from the jail and heading up to the bell tower.

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Oct 14 2015, 3:13am

Post #5 of 15 (4731 views)
Shortcut
He gets a lot more scenes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not character scenes, but you can feel his character in some scenes. The dwarven ballistas crash down wiping out elves, and giving off this loud and haunting sound. His hair gets all messed up and on his face is this uncharacteristic (not in a bad story way) horrified look. They don't wrap up the necklace, and the elves don't get more scenes after the one with "Because it's real." But he is definitely a little bit more fleshed out, and so is Dain.

"Obviously the idea of being human is a very human idea."
-Dominic Monaghan

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 14 2015, 3:42am

Post #6 of 15 (4621 views)
Shortcut
My own impressions: [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Thorin and Thranduil fans, rejoiceCool. I didn't get "the everything I did...." scene, but I did get *unexpected bounty* of Thorin pacing like a tiger and delicious Thranduil snarkHeartHeartHeart. And I DID get more Thranduil in gritty battle and glorious Thorin being *insanely* heroic - "you're the king"...."that's why I have to go....."HeartHeartHeart

2) I did get an awesomeHeartHeartHeart chariot scene, worth the whole movie alone IMO - and BADASS dwarves and weaponry.HeartHeartHeart

3) I did get more snark between Thranduil and Dain - and awesomely dwarves and elves going at it - and battle rams! Dwarf badassery! Wheeee!HeartHeartHeart

4) I did get an improvement IMO of the Legolas/Bolg scene - when Legolas shoves his knives through Bolg's hands and even the way he puts his knife through Bolg's head and really grinds it in - much more better, IMO. GRITTY

5) Ooooh, Galadriel - so badass - Cate Blanchett is awesome - much more better IMO.

6) Dwarves in battle! Bofur and Bilbo! Hilda charges out with her spear! A bit more Percy!

The negatives, for me:

1) No justice for Fili. Plz. That was appalling *sigh*.
2) It's a good thing that the funeral scene, for me, wasn't something of huge concern, as IMO if I am going to watch this - well, I expected more than thatUnimpressed. Maybe it's because I am running on less sleep and need to watch it again, but I wasn't impressed with the handling. E.g., I expected this scene to have enormous weight and gravity and IMO - what happened?

I felt thrown into the scene - no Thranduil laying Orcrist with Thorin. No Bard laying the Arkenstone on Thorin's chest. None of the rumored dwarfs singing. IMO thank the gawds for Martin Freeman because his tears by Thorin's side for me were the most moving thing - it's not the the dwarves aren't grieving - but I guess, I have to watch it again, because I felt that the treatment was rather cursory. I don't even remember Beorn being there - and then, there's this "long live the king" and everyone looks fresh as a daisy, and there's a blip of Dain in a crown, and that's it?

Never mind that the Durins all look uncomfortably to me not real - without going into the details of appearances when life is gone - it's just, anyway, I guess I personally have to ponder for me if that's a good thing, in that these movies for me were always about the journey and Bilbo and Thorin's relationship and the tumbling dwarves. Or a bad thing, in that the Durins deserved better, like some of the concept art AND from the book - at least, what I imagined in my head from the book. I think not seeing Thranduil lay Orcrist with Thorin bothers me the most; I thought that would be very moving to see considering the antagonism between the two - but - guess I will have to go on imagining it in my head.Unimpressed

Or not seeing Dain, even laying a kindly hand on the grieving Bilbo - *argh*.

As to the R rating, yeah, with the troll action *flinch* I can see why. Dwarves, rams getting crushed, Legolas getting gritty with Bolg....it's nothing HORRIFIC like "300 - Rise of an Empire" but it's a lot of bodies piling up.Shocked

Overall - better! Can't wait to own the disks so I can *luxuriate* and replay! For the most part, for me, although still irritatingly too fast-paced except for some key scenes - it just seemed smoother and richer, somehow. I would swear here and there, there are additional frames added in - not NEW, exactly, but it seemed a tad less frenetic, in terms of adding just milliseconds, here and there. And at times the camera distance seemed to have been a bit closer, or a different angle was used, that brought the action closer - which was also better.

Can't be sure until I can watch again. And again. But definitely I will be picking this up on disk as soon as availableTongue, and definitely feel this is the version to watch, with its *delicious* added details (Gandalf receiving Radagast's staff, for instance). And I am glad I went, as there is enough going on that while I am "spoiled" now I can concentrate more and luxuriate without feeling like I am missing something.

Maciliel
Valinor

Oct 14 2015, 3:53am

Post #7 of 15 (4590 views)
Shortcut
+fantastic+ recap! [In reply to] Can't Post

+fantastic+ recap, avandel, thank you. :)

(i especially +loved+ the "wheeeeeeeee!" --- i completely understood it. :) )

i +knew+ they wouldn't right the wrongs that fili has endured. but i hoped they would, nonetheless. arrrrrrgh! and bah!

and --- headpalm -- no laying of either the arkenstone or orcrist on thorin? that was +the+ image and symbolism in his burial. eeeeerrrrrgh.

cheers ---

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 14 2015, 4:05am

Post #8 of 15 (4557 views)
Shortcut
Thank you *smiles* [In reply to] Can't Post

I am GLAD you understand.

Because, once I realized there wasn't going to be the "everything I did scene" well - I was enjoying it, but I just figured it would be same old, same old with some added stuff here and there and had comfortably settled down....and then OMG when things begin to take off I just sat up wide-eyed *grins*Cool.

PS - and to add to my recap - not many folks there, at all - maybe less than 20. And it turned out to be one of the best theater viewings I have ever had - just a small group of folks (like we belonged to a secret society LOLLaugh) who were completely enthralled and laughed at the right places and were utterly quiet at the right places - I had a good day. It was great.SmileHeart

Thank you Fathom events!Cool

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 14 2015, 4:18am

Post #9 of 15 (4517 views)
Shortcut
funny. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am GLAD you understand.

Because, once I realized there wasn't going to be the "everything I did scene" well - I was enjoying it, but I just figured it would be same old, same old with some added stuff here and there and had comfortably settled down....and then OMG when things begin to take off I just sat up wide-eyed *grins*Cool.

funny you should say that about the screening you were at. because our theater was almost FULL!

PS - and to add to my recap - not many folks there, at all - maybe less than 20. And it turned out to be one of the best theater viewings I have ever had - just a small group of folks (like we belonged to a secret society LOLLaugh) who were completely enthralled and laughed at the right places and were utterly quiet at the right places - I had a good day. It was great.SmileHeart

Thank you Fathom events!Cool

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something."

"What are we holding onto, Sam?"

"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for."

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 14 2015, 4:47am

Post #10 of 15 (4469 views)
Shortcut
that was supposed to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

"funny, my theater was almost full this time."

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something."

"What are we holding onto, Sam?"

"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for."

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 14 2015, 5:55am

Post #11 of 15 (4372 views)
Shortcut
my small audience [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm - well, it's kind of bad *ducks* because, depending on how much driving one would want to do, in theory I had a choice of theaters. So other folks would have as well in my area, and maybe everyone went to the "fake IMAX" - the one with the small IMAX screen and tinny sound system.

On the other hand I haven't heard of any of the theaters having bedbugs re some other threads.

I opted for a clear screen, great sound, and a shorter drive. Although - maybe it's true for all Fathom events - there wasn't a single poster or anything about the Hobbit films at the theater. IMO you really had to be "in the loop" to know about this.Unsure

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 14 2015, 6:30am

Post #12 of 15 (4321 views)
Shortcut
Well....*funeral spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

They show Thorin with Orcrist and the Arkenstone on his chest, so the imagery is there. You just don't see them actually being laid down on him. When we enter the funeral he is already laid out in state.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Oct 14 2015, 6:33am)

Thrain II
Lorien

Oct 14 2015, 1:54pm

Post #13 of 15 (4076 views)
Shortcut
All I wanted [In reply to] Can't Post

from EE was more Beorn and funeral, so I guess I won't have too much things to look forward to. Unsure I'm not interested in more OTT action and gore really...

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2015, 2:01pm

Post #14 of 15 (4071 views)
Shortcut
You will get both those things [In reply to] Can't Post

but there's nothing really spectacular about either, unfortunately.

In Reply To
from EE was more Beorn and funeral, so I guess I won't have too much things to look forward to. Unsure I'm not interested in more OTT action and gore really...

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Thrain II
Lorien

Oct 14 2015, 2:10pm

Post #15 of 15 (4052 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but there's nothing really spectacular about either, unfortunately.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.