First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Oct 14 2015, 5:25am

Post #176 of 193 (2248 views)
Shortcut
Balin says "The King is dead..." [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Balin that says "The King is Dead..." I could of sworn it was him, not Gandalf. Maybe I'm misremembering.

My memory matches yours: It was Balin who said, "The king is dead! Long live the king!"

Those are the only words spoken during the funeral. There's just the music. Powerful stuff. It's a very short scene, but I saw quite a few pocket handkerchiefs come out.

TiberiusOgden
Bree

Oct 14 2015, 5:28am

Post #177 of 193 (2240 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the spoilers! [In reply to] Can't Post

By the way - can anyone describe DG editing - what is improved (except of Galadriel vs ExBolg design)? For instance why she is lying on the ground and is so exhausted when Radagast arrives?
Also no more sentence except dialogue with orc? And reused sequence with Radagast is still present? Strange.

(This post was edited by TiberiusOgden on Oct 14 2015, 5:28am)

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Oct 14 2015, 5:34am

Post #178 of 193 (2220 views)
Shortcut
Azog's Commands [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I might be remembering something incorrectly but he says destroy their war machines instead of mentioning the war beasts. ...

Also I disagree with people who are saying it's only action sequences, I think there are character scenes and action sequences mixed in for most of them.

Azog gives both commands: "Release the war beasts" and "Destroy their war machines."

I believe the "war beasts" are the whole collection of gigantic troll-kinda critters. Those guys appear on screen right after Azog's command.

The dwarves' war machines do appear in the Extended Edition. They have catapults that throw arrow-destroying (and elf-destroying) whirlygig things along with their war chariots and Gatling-gun crossbow bolt thrower.

Those whirlygig Weapons of Elf Destruction have to count among the most innovative weapon ideas I've seen in films. I've never seen anything like it before, and the engineer in me seems to think it would actually work!

(This post was edited by CamdenMcAndrews on Oct 14 2015, 5:35am)

Scourge of the Stoors
Rivendell

Oct 14 2015, 5:52am

Post #179 of 193 (2154 views)
Shortcut
A Fantastic Moment [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarves killing Elves... DWARVES KILLING ELVES....

This.... Let me tell you a story.

I hated how Gimli, the sole representative of the Dwarves, was played for comic relief in Lotr. When I figured out that his paths of the dead scene was originally written like something out of a horror book, this sentiment only got worse. Furthermore, no explanation was given as to why the Dwarves were absent from the key battles, while the book explains they have orcs on their own doorstep to deal with. The main thing I was looking forward to with the Hobbit films was a chance for the Dwarves to get the spotlight.

And then Elves were shoehorned in at every moment, with the filmmakers implicitly claiming that Dwarves weren't sexy enough and explicitly claiming they were too masculine. One of the Dwarves was even made to have a pathetic Aeropostale beard that inexplicably stays the same length. DOS was and still remains the worst offender, with Legolas, the bane of my viewing experience, being shoehorned in wherever possible. The main focus is still on the Dwarves, and the extended editions help with that quite a bit, but what should have been an 85-15 split is instead more like 60-40. No single moment ranks with the show-stopping look-at-the-lone-badass idiocy of the vile Oliphaunt scene, but in a story where the Dwarves are supposed to be the focus, the continuation of similarly ludicrous stunts is more disappointing.

When I found out that there would be another reprehensible stunt - a scene where he hangs upside-down from the "bat-that-miraculously-takes-you-exactly-where-you-need-to-go" and somehow kills Orcs without being bashed open like a ****ing pinata, I was just numb. I didn't care anymore.

But now I get a moment, just one brutal moment that, depending on how I see it play out, could make up for all of this nonsense. A bunch of sweaty, pig-headed, under-appreciated Dwarven warriors charge down a hill and ****ing MURDER dozens of the Airbrushed Race.

Whenever I see Legolas climbing a troll, surfing on a shield, climbing an Oliphaunt or running on falling bricks, I will remember this moment. This sweet victory for the Dwarves. I will forever cherish the one sequence where, in a sea of examples of Elves upstaging Dwarves, the Dwarves provide the single greatest argument for their physical superiority.

I don't hate the Elves. I hate Jackson's Elvish favoritism. This exception is the single most pleasant surprise of the entire series.

(This post was edited by Scourge of the Stoors on Oct 14 2015, 5:56am)

lastnickleft
The Shire

Oct 14 2015, 5:53am

Post #180 of 193 (2153 views)
Shortcut
And I mean detailed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to know about Thranduil's new scenes. I'll still have to wait to watch it, so, please me merciful.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 14 2015, 6:24am

Post #181 of 193 (2083 views)
Shortcut
If you are, so am I. [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked everything that was added except the splatter gore. I could have happily have done without that, and in future watches will probably skip those scenes.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

squiggle
Rivendell

Oct 14 2015, 6:40am

Post #182 of 193 (2047 views)
Shortcut
It sounds pretty cool, looking forward to the Battle & new overall film experience [In reply to] Can't Post

Great to read all the updates of the film, interesting stuff. Sounds like artistically is as well done or close to the previous two ees Smile

a Fantastic trilogy overall, wahoo! Not as a conventional success as LoTRs, but just as much kudos to all involved i'd say.

ShireRat

Oct 14 2015, 6:41am

Post #183 of 193 (2042 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that got gasps from the audience [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he said something like "here is your Axe, brother" (even though I think they are cousins) and Bifur responded in English about knowing where he could stick it. The people around me did this collective gasp.

LSF
Gondor

Oct 14 2015, 6:51am

Post #184 of 193 (2021 views)
Shortcut
I loved this moment [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombur said "Cousin", but yes, I laughed at Bifur's response. I already knew that Bifur would say something in English, since William Kircher has mentioned it multiple times, and that this was his fave scene to film."

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Oct 14 2015, 7:10am

Post #185 of 193 (1988 views)
Shortcut
The chariot is a attack machine [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
why exactly did they use the chariot? for what porpuse? thanks!

It's an attack machine. When the fight between the elves and dwarves starts, the Iron Hills war chariots plow furrows in the dense ranks of the elves. The chariot has nasty sharp hub extension thingies (like in Ben Hur, but even bigger) and a crossbow that fires like a Gatling gun from a big magazine full of bolts.

The chariot is drawn by mountain goats, or maybe bighorn sheep. Those critters are also very effective in punching holes in the enemy's lines.

Then, on top of all that, it looks like each chariot can carry four or five dwarf warriors, one driving and rest engaging in mayhem.

Eventually, Balin, Dwalin, Fili, and Kili commandeer one of these chariots for the assault on Ravenhill.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 14 2015, 7:15am

Post #186 of 193 (1975 views)
Shortcut
On your second and third points... [In reply to] Can't Post

2. Yes, we get a brief shot from below of Radagast's sled flying across a gap in the causeway as he comes into Dol Guldur to rescue Gandalf.

3. Yes, there were a few new shots of Elrond and Saruman fighting. Nothing especially different, just more.

2. Radagast's only real new scene is the stand handover. He has the same exact screen time in the battle, and he appears briefly at the funeral. *correction* actually I think there was a new shot of Radagast's bunny sled flying over the battle. Can someone confirm?

3. There *might* have been some new shots of Saruman and Elrond fighting, but I think probably not. It's more likely I was just thrilled to see it on the big screen again after so long so it felt new.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 14 2015, 7:18am

Post #187 of 193 (1967 views)
Shortcut
There is... [In reply to] Can't Post

a brief shot of Bilbo mixing it up with Sting in hand in a melee, and a little more before he gets knocked out on Ravenhill. Both bits are pretty brief. The fight between the women and orcs is also brief, just a quick, crowded charge in a Dale street, but it was still nice to see.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2015, 11:01am

Post #188 of 193 (1707 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

No sign of the windlance as far as I can remember.

In Reply To
Do we see Smaug destroying the Windlance?

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

TiberiusOgden
Bree

Oct 14 2015, 11:51am

Post #189 of 193 (1666 views)
Shortcut
Hilda Bianca! [In reply to] Can't Post

Are there any information concerning the mightiest woman in the Middle earth - Hilda Bianca from the Lake town, of course - who leads old men, women and cripples into the battle? Laugh

(This post was edited by TiberiusOgden on Oct 14 2015, 11:51am)

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2015, 6:13pm

Post #190 of 193 (1414 views)
Shortcut
Don't have too much to say at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post

I've done my embarrassingly self-conscious musing about the end of an era and all that elsewhere. I enjoyed the film more than I thought I would, probably because my girlfriend was really into it and watching with someone else who is excited makes it easier and natural to feel positive. All in all I think this EE probably offered the smallest, or at least most incremental improvements over its corresponding theatrical cut, but I do think it was a better film than the theatrical for the increase in character moments and the (slightly) less truncated ending.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Oct 14 2015, 7:16pm

Post #191 of 193 (1387 views)
Shortcut
That was my favorite part too. [In reply to] Can't Post

The elves get their a**es handed to them! Dwarves FTW.

Oh, you have arrows? Not anymore! Oh, a shield wall, that's cute, you know that battle rams can climb, right?

A bunch of sweaty, pig-headed, under-appreciated Dwarven warriors charge down a hill and ****ing MURDER dozens of the Airbrushed Race.

Airbrushed, love it! Another insult for Dain to throw at Thranduil.

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Oct 14 2015, 8:51pm

Post #192 of 193 (1338 views)
Shortcut
Yup! [In reply to] Can't Post

After Alfrid it's like the theatrical, she runs out, and you see her with the old men, women, and cripples go into battle. The part where they run into each other is shown in the How shall this day end? part of the main trailer!

"Obviously the idea of being human is a very human idea."
-Dominic Monaghan

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Oct 14 2015, 9:47pm

Post #193 of 193 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Sooooo..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Forgive me because it was late last night, so my memory may not be at it's best!

There are tons of new scenes, all of his scenes are the same until Dain Arrives, unless you count a new aerial shot of his army.

1. After he smirks Dain goes back and they prepare. Dain calls the rams. He tells Bard to let the elves deal with the dwarves, and tells him to stay back. He has new lines, and speaks in Sindarin and with his elk he rides in front of the elves and shouts in Sindarin telling them to shoot. Which in the theatrical only showed part of it, and that was when the orcs came. Then the spinning-spear like thing coming from the ballistas destroys the arrows, and crashes into the elves sending them flying back. Thranduil looks absolutely shocked and scared, and his hair is slightly messy. Dain says how do you like that? Then more arrows, and they get destroyed too. The dwarves run through, and more.

2. Thranduil gets a lot of running around on his moose and killing orcs, one of the scenes I remember is with Dain running around and the dwarves, and they're all running on circles on the mount. The majority of the orcs seem to be targetting Thrandy, and his moose jumps up as he swings the sword around, sort of like the theatrical except he gets more action and it's a different scene. He also gets called by Dain in the Beginning of the Battle a "pointy eared princess" and a "twiddly widdly."

There are a couple more-I'll post again if I can think about them!

"Obviously the idea of being human is a very human idea."
-Dominic Monaghan

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.