Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Collecting The Precious - The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition Gift Set

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 11 2015, 8:16pm

Post #1 of 13 (2551 views)
Shortcut
Collecting The Precious - The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition Gift Set Can't Post

91MJ+Ve4WGL._SL1500_We're just a little over a month away from the final of The Hobbit Trilogy. That means, as we've previously gotten with all the Middle-earth films, an extended edition, which tends to be the most desired version for so many of us. As has also been the case with all the other films we get a great gift set to go with each film. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies is no different and once again our friends at Weta Workshop have been tasked with creating a great looking statue for the set. This statue captures Bilbo and Gandalf post battle as they reflect on what's been won and lost. You can pre-order the gift set with the 3D edition of the final film right now from Amazon for $79 and if it is cheaper when it ships you get it for that price through Amazon.

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Oct 14 2015, 1:21pm

Post #2 of 13 (2482 views)
Shortcut
The more I look at it, the more I want it [In reply to] Can't Post

I mentioned over in this thread that I was dithering over whether I wanted this little statue enough to justify the expense. Golly, if I'm still ogling the thing, that probably means I really want it; so I might as well just get back on Amazon and change my order.

As best I can tell, the Blu-ray that comes with the figurine is identical to the one you can buy by itself. The picture of the package looks the same.

Lissuin
Valinor

Oct 14 2015, 11:15pm

Post #3 of 13 (2463 views)
Shortcut
Weta Cave in NZ may get it "later this month"! [In reply to] Can't Post

I rang the Weta Cave to ask if they would have it there because there was nothing on the website or local outlets. The "friendly Weta Cave staff" member (I love ringing those folks!) told me I could pre-order it, and they were "hoping to get it in later this month (Oct)". She didn't have the price, but do I really care at this point? NO! My first and only statue for The Hobbit (probably Wink)

So, blu ray, Region 4, Bilbo and Gandalf - I'm all set. Weta Cave phone number: 04-380-9361.
Love you Weta!
Smile

Edit: Hmm. Just noticed the 3D part. Will ask about that and get back to you.
Rang them: Yeah, it is just with the 3D. Hmm. Yes, well...Laugh

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Oct 14 2015, 11:25pm)

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Oct 15 2015, 11:39pm

Post #4 of 13 (2416 views)
Shortcut
I'll just pop on down to New Zealand and visit the Weta Cave then [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, it's a fun fantasy to imagine being able to fly from Texas to New Zealand just to shop for a movie souvenir. Cool

The last I checked in the prices on Amazon, the version with the figurine was an additional US$20.00 on top of the 3D Blu-Ray price. Now I'm for sure going to stop dithering and change my order there! I want it!

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Oct 16 2015, 12:19am

Post #5 of 13 (2413 views)
Shortcut
Done! [In reply to] Can't Post

Rats; I can't edit my previous post, so here I go again.

Pre-ordering from Amazon, the 2D Blu-ray version with the figurine is $54.89. The listing says only 1 disc, but the description lists these special features...

- Extended Edition includes 20 minutes of never-before-seen film footage and hours of fascinating in-depth looks at the production including
- Commentary with Peter Jackson, Director/Producer/Screenwriter and Philippa Boyens, Co-Producer/Screenwriter
- The Appendices – The Appendices Parts XI and XII showcase a chronological history of the filming of The Battle of the Five Armies, documenting the work done on set chronologically through the three shooting blocks and in the world of its digital effects
- New Zealand: Home of Middle-earth – Part 3 Includes UltraViolet so you can enjoy the film on many different compatible devices. MUST ENTER REDEMPTION CODE BY 2018-11-17 TO REDEEM ULTRAVIOLET OFFER. DOES NOT INCLUDE iTUNES FILE.

... so it has to be the 3-disc set that we'd expect based on the 2 previous releases.

Amazon really needs to update the description. Customer questions are already popping up about the content and number of discs in the 2D version.

The 3D version is listed at US$71.98. That's $17.09 more than the 2D, which seems to be an unusually high premium for 3D. The only other difference I see so far is a different cover picture on the 3D version.

miko
Rivendell

Oct 17 2015, 4:57am

Post #6 of 13 (2376 views)
Shortcut
options are confusing [In reply to] Can't Post

I ordered the Blu-ray five disc set which does not come with the figurine. The set with the figurine does not seem to have the extras with all the discs.

I wish there were true deluxe editions with absolutely everything: regular DVD format, Blu-Ray, 3D, all the extras, and a figurine.

I may buy the figurine separately later; I have the figurines from the AUJ and DOS sets.

nusilver
Rohan

Nov 17 2015, 11:26am

Post #7 of 13 (2205 views)
Shortcut
Did yours ship? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I mentioned over in this thread that I was dithering over whether I wanted this little statue enough to justify the expense. Golly, if I'm still ogling the thing, that probably means I really want it; so I might as well just get back on Amazon and change my order. As best I can tell, the Blu-ray that comes with the figurine is identical to the one you can buy by itself. The picture of the package looks the same.

Did yours actually ship? I ordered mine immediately when it was listed and now it's showing as out of stock, even though it's due to be delivered today. Way to go, Amazon.

"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer." - Samwise

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Nov 17 2015, 8:26pm

Post #8 of 13 (2193 views)
Shortcut
Amazon Says Friday Delivery for the Figurine [In reply to] Can't Post

Same here. On my Amazon account, it's showing Friday, November 20, 2015 as the delivery date.

Obviously somebody's best-laid schemes gang aft a-gley, but we don't know that it was anyone at Amazon. A lot could have gone wrong between the supplier and my mailbox. It's quite a supply chain to get that little statue from Wellington to Seattle to Houston.

On the other hand, the DVD version (which I also ordered) is out for delivery by the US Postal Service and scheduled to arrive today!

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Nov 17 2015, 9:29pm

Post #9 of 13 (2188 views)
Shortcut
DVD Version Delivered Today, Tuesday, November 17, 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post

Addendum: The DVD version arrived just a few minutes ago. It's the most stunning packaging I've yet seen for a DVD, and that's saying a lot in this collection!

I was wondering why they needed 5 discs for the DVD version. It turns out that there are 2 discs for the extended edition film and 3 for the Appendices parts 11 and 12.
I've already seen the film (in the theater) so I know what's coming there, but the Appendices are, at this point, mysterious delights yet to unfold.

Lissuin
Valinor

Nov 18 2015, 3:16am

Post #10 of 13 (2183 views)
Shortcut
Weta Cave Miramar rang this morning to say my pre-ordered set is in. [In reply to] Can't Post

So that's Nov. 18 for New Zealand as promised, but I couldn't get there today (aaaaaargh!), so it'll be tomorrow. One more lovely day of anticipation! Smile

And "Hi, Camden!" Glad to see you back.

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Nov 19 2015, 4:02am

Post #11 of 13 (2168 views)
Shortcut
Watching the Precious [In reply to] Can't Post

I still don't have the statue or the Bu-ray, but I'm certainly enjoying watching the DVD version of The Battle of the Five Armies again, and the 9 hours of special features!

"Life is too short not to have fun!"
-- Peter Jackson

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Nov 20 2015, 8:09pm

Post #12 of 13 (2136 views)
Shortcut
Another Delivery Delay on the Figurine [In reply to] Can't Post

Now my Amazon account is showing delivery on Friday, December 18, 2015.

Rats.

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Nov 21 2015, 11:14pm

Post #13 of 13 (2111 views)
Shortcut
It's here! [In reply to] Can't Post

To my delight and surprise, the Blu-Ray edition of The Battle of the Five Armies arrived this morning, via Federal Express from Amazon! I didn't have to wait another month after all!

I just realized that I have spent the past five hours in unboxing and ogling the stature, and then getting this picture on line so that I can share it with you. (Well, in truth, most of the time was invested in learning how to get a picture from my Kindle Fire tablet onto my PC, and the lion's share of the remainder of the time in Photoshop doing color correction and cropping.)

Silent Reflection
Sculpture by Lindsey Crummett & Gary Hunt, Weta Workshop. Figurine made in China.

Love this li'l statue! It captures one of the finest moments in cinema, where through the incredible acting talent of Martin Freeman and Ian McKellan and the directorial genius of Peter Jackson, we can see Bilbo and Gandalf sitting together quietly just after the death of Thorin Oakenshield, silently reflecting on all that has occurred on their quest to reclaim the Lonely Mountain.

The quality and detail are incredible. Maybe you can see in the photo that with sidelighting, the characters' faces much more closely resemble Bilbo and Frodo as portrayed by Martin Freeman and Ian McKellan in the Hobbit films.

You can get an idea of the scale but comparing it to the DVD boxes on the same shelf. Click on the picture to open a larger version (where you can ogle more of my video collection).

The material is primarily polystone (it's heavy) with some small parts made of plastic; polystyrene is my guess. Gandalf's staff (the one he got from Radagast) is packaged as separate object that you can add to the statue. It was a little tricky to get the staff cradled under Gandalf's arm--it took more force than I expected and a bit of fiddling--but obviously I was successful; and it adds a lot to the composition.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.