The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Favorite LOTR Musical Theme

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Oct 2 2015, 5:24pm

Post #1 of 25 (1756 views)
Shortcut
Favorite LOTR Musical Theme Can't Post

I did one for the Hobbit, but thought LOTR should have a discussion of music too. There were so many amazing themes in LOTR, which was your favorite? I'd have to go with the Fellowship theme or the Rohan theme. Both can be either dramatic and powerful or soft and emotional.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 2 2015, 5:27pm

Post #2 of 25 (1723 views)
Shortcut
Neat! [In reply to] Can't Post

I answered back to Hobbit one, but my favorite LOTR themes are The Nazgul's, Rohan's, Galaldriel's and I like Arwen's as well.

Bofur01
Lorien

Oct 2 2015, 5:40pm

Post #3 of 25 (1717 views)
Shortcut
Nature's Reclamation! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just too awesome :p

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 2 2015, 5:51pm

Post #4 of 25 (1709 views)
Shortcut
Dwarrowdelf / [In reply to] Can't Post

"Mister Frodo, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good frying pan at your side. I’ve been from one side of this garden to the other, I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Providence controlling everything. There's no Music of the Ainur that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Oct 2 2015, 7:00pm

Post #5 of 25 (1711 views)
Shortcut
No idea what it's called... [In reply to] Can't Post

But that fleeting music that hearkens back to the Shire as Frodo collapses on the face of Mount Doom... yeah, that'd be the one for me.

I also adore: the Edoras theme and its amplification for the Ride of the Rohirrim and the "Into the West" motif that occurs whenever death is mentioned in RotK.

Elutherian
Rohan

Oct 2 2015, 11:07pm

Post #6 of 25 (1698 views)
Shortcut
Rohan's theme will always be my favorite... [In reply to] Can't Post

... It's just so perfect.

Chaos isn't a pit, chaos is a ladder.

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Oct 3 2015, 1:37am

Post #7 of 25 (1686 views)
Shortcut
Mine has to be [In reply to] Can't Post

Lothlorien! You don't get the reference, and it's a really bad one because no one would get it but there's a song in the LOTR Musical called Lothlorien.

Movie-wise, my favorite is Gondor, Concerning Hobbits (gives me a lot of memories both old and recent one of my camp counselors played Concerning Hobbits for me on the guitar), and Rohan.

"Obviously the idea of being human is a very human idea."
-Dominic Monaghan

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Oct 3 2015, 7:17am

Post #8 of 25 (1677 views)
Shortcut
I take [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR: The fellowship theme
TT: The Rohan Theme
ROTK: The Gondor theme

Susan
Bree

Oct 4 2015, 2:34am

Post #9 of 25 (1640 views)
Shortcut
Concerning Hobbits, and definitely the Gondor theme // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2015, 5:25am

Post #10 of 25 (1595 views)
Shortcut
The Rohan theme [In reply to] Can't Post

Something of a cliche choice, but IMO for a good reason. The Hardanger fiddle part is breathtakingly beautiful, the whole thing is memorable, plus Rohan is probably my favorite of the settings in the films.

There are so many great choices here that it's hard to go wrong, though.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

balbo biggins
Rohan

Oct 6 2015, 2:26pm

Post #11 of 25 (1587 views)
Shortcut
ring theme [In reply to] Can't Post

the ring theme, when it opens across the titles, spot on.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Oct 7 2015, 6:19pm

Post #12 of 25 (1562 views)
Shortcut
Tough choice... [In reply to] Can't Post

but the mystery of the Lothlorien theme and the harmonies of the Rivendell theme make it really hard for me to just say "Hobbiton! no, wait, Fellowship! oh, no, Rohan! wait - drat - Gondor! oh, wait..."

I give up.

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

elentari3018
Rohan

Oct 8 2015, 1:53am

Post #13 of 25 (1544 views)
Shortcut
The whole soundtrack! [In reply to] Can't Post

Esp. Concerning Hobbits, Fellowship theme, Moria when they see the mansions of Moria, Rohan, Gondor, The End of All things...
yes cannot name one!

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Oct 8 2015, 3:03am

Post #14 of 25 (1533 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

'The End of All Things' is another that consistently stands out in my mind. Images and melody married to near perfection.

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 9 2015, 12:59am

Post #15 of 25 (1459 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

NManfredi
Rivendell

Oct 9 2015, 2:24am

Post #16 of 25 (1454 views)
Shortcut
Oh boy where do I start! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have so many to choose from, but I think if I really, really have to choose just a couple, I think I would definitely go with the The King of the Golden Hall and Isengard Unleashed. Both rank very high on my list.

"Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing? So small a thing! And I have seen it only for an instant in the house of Elrond! Could I not have a sight of it again?"

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 9 2015, 11:35pm

Post #17 of 25 (1408 views)
Shortcut
I love the "temptation" theme? Not sure what it is... [In reply to] Can't Post

When Deagol looks at the ring and it "speaks" to him. It also plays just before Gandalf leaves Frodo and Sam in FotR. It's a very short snippet, but it's beautiful. Sounds a little like the Lothlorien theme.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Oct 9 2015, 11:39pm)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2015, 8:52am

Post #18 of 25 (1392 views)
Shortcut
Picking a favorite is nearly impossible [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm particularly attracted to the Elven themes: the music at the beginning of Flight to the Ford when we first see Arwen as Frodo sees her, Arwen's theme, Lothlorien...even The Prophecy from the prologue.

Every note is perfect, IMO. After dozens of viewings of the films, I'm a bit burnt-out. But I never tire of the music.

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 15 2015, 10:15pm

Post #19 of 25 (1322 views)
Shortcut
I find the same [In reply to] Can't Post

I never tire of the music. It's as beautiful and moving now as it was when I first heard it.

GollumLovesFish
The Shire

Oct 16 2015, 12:01pm

Post #20 of 25 (1303 views)
Shortcut
The Black Gate Opens [In reply to] Can't Post

https://youtu.be/EBM6w16gVhg

HeartHeartHeart

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

jlj93byu
Rivendell

Oct 19 2015, 8:31pm

Post #21 of 25 (1262 views)
Shortcut
Nature's Reclamation [In reply to] Can't Post

Super hard question, I love them all so much. But for some reason the one that had the biggest impact on me when watching the films in the theater was the "Nature's Reclamation" theme with the boy soprano and marching drums in "The Last March of the Ents." That scene and music was utter perfection. Then the building of that theme up through the lighting of the beacons and then in the Battle of Pelennor Fields.

A close second is the hardanger fiddle doing the Rohan theme, and "In Dreams" from Fellowship.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2015, 7:24am

Post #22 of 25 (1073 views)
Shortcut
The Hymn Setting of the Shire Theme [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, I think that's what it is. The moment I'm thinking particularly of (in FotR) is after the screen fades to black and the end credits appear on screen. On the original soundtrack, the music segues right into "In Dreams". But the film (and Complete Recordings) has the children's choir softly singing the Hymn setting and it is so emotional and brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it.

I think this is partly because it was so unexpected (I'd become familiar with the soundtrack leading up to the film and therefore was expecting "In Dreams" at that moment). It just tugs at your heartstrings after the emotional turmoil of the film's finale, and I find it utterly sublime.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Nov 6 2015, 7:27am)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Nov 6 2015, 9:44pm

Post #23 of 25 (1055 views)
Shortcut
Rohan's theme [In reply to] Can't Post

Lothlorien and Nazgul

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Omnigeek
Lorien

Nov 15 2015, 6:25pm

Post #24 of 25 (1002 views)
Shortcut
Concerning Hobbits [In reply to] Can't Post

I just like the high spirits and innocence it embodies.

Radagast_the_Brown
Rivendell

Nov 29 2015, 1:58am

Post #25 of 25 (938 views)
Shortcut
So many! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Rohan theme is my absolute favourite but I also love the Breaking of the Fellowship a lot.

All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.