The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
wide shot of elf army in Dale

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Oct 8 2015, 7:12am

Post #1 of 7 (979 views)
Shortcut
wide shot of elf army in Dale Can't Post

Less then a week away until we'll finally know what's in the extended edition, so why not speculate about even the most mundane new shot?Wink

That wide shot of the elf army in Dale was one of the few new shots in the Fathom Events trailer back in August, and it seems like kind of a random thing to add to the movie. I can't really imagine what sort of extended scene it would be featured in. The only thing I can think of is PJ just adding in this extra brief shot when Bard suddenly stumbles upon the army. It would give the audience an even better view of its size.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 8 2015, 9:16am

Post #2 of 7 (884 views)
Shortcut
Looks like a transition shot to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Meaning, it's just a shot used to tie two scenes together rather that to establish or say anything.

One possible place could be after Thranduil and Bard are talking about the necklace, this shot could be used to transition to what Alfrid is doing in another part of Dale. Something like that. Out of context it's difficult to say what a shot like this could be, really.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Oct 8 2015, 9:17am)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Oct 8 2015, 4:11pm

Post #3 of 7 (653 views)
Shortcut
Oh please no! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't even joke about transitioning to a new Alfrid scene.Shocked

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 8 2015, 7:43pm

Post #4 of 7 (583 views)
Shortcut
Hm, thought maybe it was Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

looking over the Rampart and seeing all those Elves, but I could be wrong.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

NManfredi
Rivendell

Oct 9 2015, 2:16am

Post #5 of 7 (497 views)
Shortcut
I thought the same [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like a transition shot to show how large the army was in comparison to the few that we see standing in front of Bard when he first meet them. But maybe it is an introduction to another scene, as you mention. We'll see.

"Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing? So small a thing! And I have seen it only for an instant in the house of Elrond! Could I not have a sight of it again?"

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 9 2015, 3:50am

Post #6 of 7 (469 views)
Shortcut
I think I know where it is [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember how, when we first go back to that negotiation morning, we see all the elf armies and Bard first begin to negotiate with the dwarves? Perhaps this is a shot of them marching down out of Dale to congregate in the valley between the spurs of the mountains Smile

That always felt a bit abrupt- one second, they weren't there, but the next morning, suddenly the whole army was already at the gate? Seems a bit abrupt, thus indicating a scene or shot that may have been cut for the TE Wink

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 9 2015, 10:22pm

Post #7 of 7 (360 views)
Shortcut
I thought that too... [In reply to] Can't Post

But if you re-watch the clip all of the elves are standing still, not marching. So it seems unlikely, but I guess it's still possible. It's really impossible to tell without any context. It is fun to speculate, though. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.