Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Not many people in EE screening theaters-a sign of what audiences feel about Hobbit movies?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bree

Oct 8 2015, 4:41am

Post #1 of 28 (1644 views)
Shortcut
Not many people in EE screening theaters-a sign of what audiences feel about Hobbit movies? Can't Post

What do you think?

I love the first two by the way. Third could be improved with the extended cut

(This post was edited by 1924 on Oct 8 2015, 4:42am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2015, 4:44am

Post #2 of 28 (1594 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I think it has as much to do with the time of year they're showing them. They played the LotR EEs during the summer of 2011. Lots of people were out of school at the time.

There weren't many people at my theater period tonight and Monday night.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 8 2015, 4:45am)

Bree

Oct 8 2015, 4:50am

Post #3 of 28 (1576 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

Kind if weird time to screen them. Work and school nights

LSF
Gondor

Oct 8 2015, 5:01am

Post #4 of 28 (1561 views)
Shortcut
screening time [In reply to] Can't Post

Business is slow for theaters Mon-Thurs nights, and the "money making" movie showings are on weekend nights. Special events are usually weekday nights to not interfere with the "regular programming" and to maybe get them some business during the weekdays. It does suck for those who can't get these evenings off, but yeah, that's the reasons for it that I understand.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 8 2015, 7:41am

Post #5 of 28 (1450 views)
Shortcut
Why go to a theater viewing if you own a copy?...because [In reply to] Can't Post

It's fun and an event. But the way these viewings were handled, it may have been fun but was barely a whisper, PR- wise. So as an "event" it came across as a non-event.

Complete silence from WETA and PJ too. Not to mention it was U.S. only. So really you are asking fans to turn out, over several days, for films they can see any time they like, and you don't have a single thing to hype for making that effort to get to a theater.

Except for BOFA, which has the inherent attraction of new footage. If folks even KNOW about this preview. So IMO it says nothing about the films but does say a lot about the PR which to me got less and less fun - everything from SDCC having only one dwarf and looking more like an LOTR reunion to the ghastly world premiere that didn't have the Kiwi dwarves in London to the BOFA artwork to not showing the BOFA EE in other countries - IMO somewhere between DOS and BOFA the sheer joy and reaching out to the fan community who sees these as more than films and loves these characters got lost.Frown

Not even an online contest for a free DVD and a baseball hat or something.
Oh, well, after Tuesday maybe there will be an occasional TV commercial for the BOFA EE.Unimpressed

Timdalf
Rivendell

Oct 8 2015, 10:34am

Post #6 of 28 (1350 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the publicity has been next to nil! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know, but has there been any in theaters where the Fathom Events are not being held?! Have there been any tv spots? The Met Opera HD broadcasts have a fan base by now, so they get sold out, not so the other events, it seems. The Last Night at the Proms (Oct 14th) in the theater where I am seeing the Hobbit films has only one pre-sold ticket!!! No points for guessing who bought it!! ;-)

lionoferebor
Rohan

Oct 8 2015, 11:30am

Post #7 of 28 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Timing, distance, and publicity [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't believe the number of people in the theater(s) has anything to do with audience reception of these films, instead it has to do with timing, distance, and publicity.

The time in which these films are showing is not a favorable time for many. People work during the week, children have school, etc. Had these films shown on the weekend turn out may have been better.

Also there's the distance. Many of us - including myself - would have to travel two hours or more to see these movies. However, back to timing, it's a weeknight and people have to return to work and school the next day. Had they shown on a weekend some of us - if willing - may have been able to make the trip.

Probably the biggest culprit though was the poor - pretty much non-existent -publicity. Aside from the online trilogy trailer and the few online articles that came out a few months ago about the R rating there hasn't been much more in terms of promotion.

Had these films actually been promoted more people may have shown. No those of us who would have to travel a substantial distance may not have come, but those who live in the cities or within a reasonable distance where the movies are playing may have gone. After all, it's kind of hard to go to an event of you don't know it's happening.

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Oct 8 2015, 11:37am

Post #8 of 28 (1284 views)
Shortcut
I don't mind the empty theaters [In reply to] Can't Post

I would actually prefer small turn outs - it's a better viewing experience. Having seen the movies multiple times in theaters, the best was when there were only a handful of people and it felt more intimate somehow. No whispering or rustling popcorn bags.

I went to midnight premieres of DOS and BOTFA, expecting a great fan experience but was disappointed at the lackluster crowd reactions (the only thing I remember is someone clapping for Legolas).

That said, I know the BOTFA showing I'm going to won't be empty - it may not be sold out but when I purchased them there were already many seats reserved. I apologize in advance to the people sitting next to me because I'll be crying and whimpering.

Anyway, The Hobbit does have a passionate fanbase. It's the casual viewer who won't be there, because there was no advertising. I know people who saw them because "it looked like a fun action movie" and those people arent going to pay to see it again, 20 extra minutes or not.

Justice for Fili

CathrineB
Rohan

Oct 8 2015, 12:59pm

Post #9 of 28 (1224 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

Was this event meant to focus on anyone outside the fandom? If non-fans didn't see the movies in theater they're not likely to do so now either right?
Though I think the others are right. It seems like ridiculous days to set these events and only in the US.

Had they set this event up in my country would I go? I don't think so. While I enjoyed the two first movies I wouldn't want to go and see BotfA again in theaters. It was such a huge disappointment and it seems like a lot of fans felt this way too.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2015, 1:15pm

Post #10 of 28 (1202 views)
Shortcut
not necessarily [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless you are in the fandom would you even know it happened?

Marathon right before BOTFA had few at the first two then lots show up for BOTFA (which was actually getting a one day jump on open release) and come of them said they came to the theater to see another movie but changed over... again the whole thing was not advertised outside the fandom.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 8 2015, 3:23pm

Post #11 of 28 (1115 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Also there's the distance. Many of us - including myself - would have to travel two hours or more to see these movies. However, back to timing, it's a weeknight and people have to return to work and school the next day. Had they shown on a weekend some of us - if willing - may have been able to make the trip.

I almost went to DOS yesterday, but (just sayin') still getting over bronchitis and just physically wasn't up to a 2-hour+ drive, for a film I love and would have enjoyed on a big screen - but it wouldn't have been IMAX or HFR or any of the BEST theaters, either.

But if it had been a marathon, I would have done it. Changed my mind about going to BOFA and am going to go...but even then I have to carve out time - for one day, that's OK. Will check again, but last time I looked, I couldn't even pre-buy tickets online at the theater I want to go to, so have to buy at the theater, assuming there isn't a sell-out.

Commenting on some other posters' remarks - no, I have not seen any kind of TV spotFrown. A while back in a theater I saw a trailer for the Fathom event, and that was it. I don't know how the releases of the LOTR EEs were handled; if there was fanfare or not. But it just seems like this wonderful journey is winding up on a whimper - so far - when it should be celebrated. If all the work re these films is worth what looks like at least 2 "farewell" type chapters of bonus material (not the kind of thing I watch much, if at all) *wistful* I just think all those cosplayers and crowds lined up for premiers, all the fans, and the craftspeople who make ME cakes and dolls and carvings and the musicians who pick up the music and play - all of us who SPEND and fell in love with PJ's Middle Earth - well, I think we could use some kind of hug too. It's not like we weren't there - heck, wasn't it the fan community who called for "Make the Hobbit Happen?"

On the other hand - well - maybe PJ & co. are just completely exhausted w. the effort, and that's the reason for the long silence. Or there is other stuff going on. And maybe as the actual release gets closer there will be more fanfare. IMO they should get to it tho!

Eruonen
Half-elven

Oct 8 2015, 4:11pm

Post #12 of 28 (1077 views)
Shortcut
Agree, most people are unaware of them. [In reply to] Can't Post

Weeknights are also problematic.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 8 2015, 7:41pm

Post #13 of 28 (997 views)
Shortcut
I went on a whim [In reply to] Can't Post

I was originally just going to see BOT5A, because I already own the EE's for the other two, but I had a weak, nostalgic moment last night. My husband actually agreed to go (maybe to make up for torpedoing my planned trip to NZ in MarchMad), but I think he was confused & thought it was the BOT5A showing. When he finally figured it out he asked, "You're paying money to see a movie that you already OWN?" Yeah, it is kind of dumb, but hey, I'm a fan! I am hoping that maybe this means the BOT5A EE showing will also be sparse, just because of lack of advertising - but I bet it won't be as sparse as last night's showing was!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Oct 8 2015, 8:11pm

Post #14 of 28 (979 views)
Shortcut
I have seen the movie now 1263 times [In reply to] Can't Post

and it is enough. I hink many people think like that
We have seen it all by now. It is enough. Time to go on with our lifes.

It has lasted too long. The wait for EE was too long
People are angry about it.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Oct 8 2015, 10:58pm

Post #15 of 28 (924 views)
Shortcut
Not at all... [In reply to] Can't Post

since the main culprit for me is that I don't live in the U.S. If this would have been a worldwide event, I think more people would have jumped on the bandwagon, so to speak. Would I have gone if they were doing this in my country? Probably, since I would jump at the chance to see the Extended Editions in theaters (although you might have to carry me out of the theater once we got to BoFA, since seeing the theater version was bad enough, not sure how I would have handled the Extended Edition).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Eruonen
Half-elven

Oct 9 2015, 3:30am

Post #16 of 28 (858 views)
Shortcut
I still like to see movies in theaters. Even ones like The Hobbit or LOTR that [In reply to] Can't Post

I can watch anytime at home. For example, older holiday movies are frequently released for showing in a theater even though they are on tv.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 9 2015, 8:29am

Post #17 of 28 (819 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't want to agree with that. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It has lasted too long. The wait for EE was too long
People are angry about it.

It has been the same waiting time as always - why would anyone be angry about that? People who are not that invested in the franchise won't really care and those who are should know better.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Bishop
Gondor

Oct 9 2015, 8:48am

Post #18 of 28 (815 views)
Shortcut
Yes, partially [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of the factors people have mentioned here are most certainly correct. It could be a mix of bad marketing, time of the year, location, etc. But it almost certainly has to do with its standing in the moviegoing public. An engaged fanbase will wait in a blizzard for days for a seat.

Usually when a film is re-released in theaters it is because of its status and or reception. For example re-releases are typically two types of films: those that have become global phenomenons, usually breaking all box office records along the way (such as Avatar), or those which have become classic over time such as Jaws. There is a theater on Cape Cod, MA which plays JAWS every Friday all summer long EVERY summer, and every showing is packed.

In the case of The Hobbit it doesn't really feel like either of these things, which is to say nothing about how good they may or may not be. At best it feels like a celebratory cap on the saga Jackson started 15 years ago with LOTR, but it's not really that either. Not really. Jackson and teams silence throughout all of this is also puzzling, leading me to suspect that this last EE and this event are more 'par for the course' than WB actually gauging fan demand. Who knows.

CFGriffith
The Shire

Oct 9 2015, 2:01pm

Post #19 of 28 (762 views)
Shortcut
Many good points [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been very unimpressed with how this has been handled. And I'm not a typical fan. I'm very anti-social, I hate going out, I HATE sitting in theaters even for movies I adore like crazy....

I'm irritated I can't pick a theater I am more comfortable in for those few times I do see a movie, the time couldn't be worse (my husband has been working a lot of overtime as well), and of course this hit during a time we're trying to be frugal (yeah, we could have purchased in advance, but meh... obviously I was not excited enough to purchase at the time).

I think the worst part is that I really don't want to know what was or wasn't included before I get to see it. It's bad enough digital releases make me want to stay offline until I can finally get the DVD in my hands... now I feel almost like I MUST go see this in theaters or else risk seeing details online before I get to see them myself.

Blah.

And since what little advertising has been the same underwhelming stuff over and over, I have started ignoring it completely when it does come up... about my luck, I may end up missing newer/better promotion if they do eventually release them simply because I now skip over it.

Don't mind me... it's been hot this past week and our a/c was out. A little cranky and exhausted and just not in the mood to deal with deciding and picking a theater (husband wants to go, I'm almost like pfffft... just get the digital copy and then the Blu Ray). Yeah, I want to "fan," but can't I stay home and "fan" where I'm more comfortable "fanning?" :P :(

lonelymountainhermit
Lorien

Oct 9 2015, 2:06pm

Post #20 of 28 (761 views)
Shortcut
I would say so [In reply to] Can't Post

If you venture outside of these forums, the overall opinion of these films is drastically less favorable. Many people, myself included, feel that stretching this story into 3 films at 3 hours each was completely unnecessary, and was most likely a decision made for nothing more than higher profits. The idea of sitting through an even longer version, likely filled with even more ridiculousness will only appeal to die-hard PJ supporters.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Oct 9 2015, 2:19pm

Post #21 of 28 (751 views)
Shortcut
Or [In reply to] Can't Post

die hard Tolken fans who love this films. You don't need to be PJ supports to love this films.

lonelymountainhermit
Lorien

Oct 9 2015, 2:25pm

Post #22 of 28 (742 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

But you obviously support PJ's alterations to the story, so that would make you a PJ supporter as well, no?

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Oct 9 2015, 2:29pm

Post #23 of 28 (738 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I should have sade that you don't need to be a die hard PJ supporter to love this films.

lonelymountainhermit
Lorien

Oct 9 2015, 2:50pm

Post #24 of 28 (725 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

And, I imagine there are some fans of these films out there who have never heard of PJ, or Tolkien.

However, my original point was that the EE theater showing is going to attract primarily fans of PJ's version of the story, and these films simply were not as successful as his LotR films, hence the lower number of attendees. I don't watch television, so I have to go by what you people here are saying about the lack of advertising, but that to me says the studio knows this to be the truth.

Bree

Oct 9 2015, 2:58pm

Post #25 of 28 (720 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

Think the only advertising was the trailer Fathom Events released

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.