The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Who is seeing DOS EE tonight
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bree

Oct 7 2015, 2:31pm

Post #1 of 36 (5371 views)
Shortcut
Who is seeing DOS EE tonight Can't Post

I skipped AUJ but I think I will watch DOS. As it's my favorite of the three and I'm available

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 7 2015, 2:47pm

Post #2 of 36 (5272 views)
Shortcut
Me!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

I didn't think I'd be able to go tonight, but my schedule opened up.

I had such a wonderful time on Monday night, and can't wait for 7:30 to roll around. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 7 2015, 2:48pm)

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 7 2015, 3:04pm

Post #3 of 36 (5250 views)
Shortcut
me! me! oooh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I'm pumped for DOS. I love AUJ because it feels in so many ways like a genuine extension of the LOTR films (before all of the craziness of DOS and BOTFA), but I do think DOS is one of the top three films in the entire six-film saga. And that extended edition? Near perfection, IMO. Can't wait to see it on a theater screen tonight.

Timdalf
Rivendell

Oct 7 2015, 3:48pm

Post #4 of 36 (5195 views)
Shortcut
Going tonight... [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually I like AUJ best... all that Shire stuff, you know!!
And who would want to miss the Goblin King's song and dance routine!!? Or Bofur's "table" dance!!?
Wing Nut should be renamed Rude Dwarf Productions! ;-)

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 7 2015, 3:51pm

Post #5 of 36 (5191 views)
Shortcut
ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Actually I like AUJ best... all that Shire stuff, you know!!
And who would want to miss the Goblin King's song and dance routine!!? Or Bofur's "table" dance!!?
Wing Nut should be renamed Rude Dwarf Productions! ;-)

Or Little Bastard Filmworks! (my wife whispered "little bastards!" to me while they were throwing food at Rivendell on Monday night... I was surprised she remembered that bit from the movie appendices, since she's not a diehard like me.)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2015, 4:15pm

Post #6 of 36 (5174 views)
Shortcut
Me! [In reply to] Can't Post

With Geeky Son and my eldest. As she has told me, it's fun to be a geek! Laugh

I am so looking forward to this - more Beorn! more Laketown! And I love the "chance" meeting in Bree, and have always been a fan of the dragon-baiting (far more dwarf-like than what's in the book).

Ahh, Smaug...Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Eruonen
Half-elven

Oct 7 2015, 8:13pm

Post #7 of 36 (5050 views)
Shortcut
I have to miss tonight, Cubs vs Pirates in wildcard playoff game..go Cubs, [In reply to] Can't Post

stop being heartbreakers!

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Oct 7 2015, 8:59pm

Post #8 of 36 (5016 views)
Shortcut
What?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely you mean Go Pirates. Cool On the other hand, after tonight I will happily cheer for any team at all that happens to be playing the Cardinals. Evil

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Elarie
Grey Havens

Oct 7 2015, 9:10pm

Post #9 of 36 (5006 views)
Shortcut
On twitter... [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't know if you've ever seen this guy on twitter, but I think he is pretty funny sometimes. Here's his latest:

God ‏@TheTweetOfGod 41 minutes ago
The #Pirates will win tonight. I guarantee it.

God ‏@TheTweetOfGod 42 minutes ago
The #Cubs will win tonight. I guarantee it.

Laugh

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Oct 7 2015, 9:26pm

Post #10 of 36 (4985 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you there! [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Oct 7 2015, 10:31pm

Post #11 of 36 (4926 views)
Shortcut
*virtual high-five* ;) / [In reply to] Can't Post

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 7 2015, 11:21pm

Post #12 of 36 (4893 views)
Shortcut
In my seat, ready to go! [In reply to] Can't Post

Woo-hoo! Cool

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 8 2015, 1:41am

Post #13 of 36 (4842 views)
Shortcut
Just about to leave for the theater. [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed AUJ (real life getting in the way) but I watched my DVD copy in prep and I'm looking forward to tonight and BOTFA next week. DOS is perhaps my favorite of the three as well (Thranduil and Smaug are major pluses in my book) and I'm happy to have one last chance to see them on the big screen, even if it's not in the HFR I loved.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 8 2015, 3:40am

Post #14 of 36 (4795 views)
Shortcut
*floats back home* [In reply to] Can't Post

This movie just needed that extra Beorn and Mirkwood and Laketown and...

*sigh* I'm happy. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2015, 3:42am

Post #15 of 36 (4796 views)
Shortcut
I'm back! [In reply to] Can't Post

Another splendid night at the theater! Smile

If going to these showings has demonstrated anything to me, it's that these Extended Cuts should have gone out to theaters in the first place (especially Desolation of Smaug). PJ's the director, so it was certainly his prerogative to cut them down - but these versions played marvelously on the cinema screen. They felt wonderfully paced and not too long in the least. Most importantly, they were more emotionally involving.

*Fingers crossed* that the same holds true for The Battle of the Five Armies, as I feel it has a lot of room to improve. It doesn't fare badly against the other two Theatrical Cuts IMO, but it certainly comes up short compared to the Extended Editions of AUJ and DoS.

Anyway, that's next week. Tonight was a blast! Seeing the added Beorn, Mirkwood and Thrain material on the big screen was so rewarding. Also, I noticed that the VFX impressed much more on the big screen. The razor sharp images on Blu-ray really can be unforgiving. Everything looked far more well integrated in the cinema.

And, of course, Smaug still takes my breath away. Everything about the encounter between Bilbo and Smaug really is perfect. Martin and Benedict's performances, Howard's music, the VFX, you name it.

- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 8 2015, 3:43am)

Dcole4
Rohan

Oct 8 2015, 3:47am

Post #16 of 36 (4788 views)
Shortcut
Sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to hear! DOS EE I think comes really close to matching the brilliance of AUJ. It's still missing a good character scene or two for Bilbo, especially in the third act. But the first 3/4 of the film are quite lovely extended.

Was PJ's intro the same as from the AUJ EE screening? Any teaser attached for BOTFA EE next week?

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2015, 3:54am

Post #17 of 36 (4778 views)
Shortcut
Same intro. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't catch it on Monday (walked in just as PJ finished speaking), but based on descriptions it was the same. There was an ad for the BotFA Blu-ray/Digital HD release prior to the intro that showed one or two new shots (I believe this was also shown on Monday).

It's a shame that we couldn't have gotten some proper intros like we did with the LotR EE showings, but it is what it is. The movies themselves have been a joy to watch, so I'm not too miffed. Smile

- Viggo Mortensen

Eruonen
Half-elven

Oct 8 2015, 3:59am

Post #18 of 36 (4770 views)
Shortcut
About how many people in the theater? [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2015, 4:02am

Post #19 of 36 (4769 views)
Shortcut
Fewer than Monday night. [In reply to] Can't Post

On Monday, there were only five other people. Tonight there were three (one of which was a new face).

Might be selfish of me, but this suits me just fine. When they showed the LotR EEs in the summer of 2011, the theaters were at least half filled - and not with the most courteous of audience members.

An almost empty theater with just a few Tolkien fans is fine by me. Cool

- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 8 2015, 4:04am)

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Oct 8 2015, 4:13am

Post #20 of 36 (4757 views)
Shortcut
Big Cinema Dictates the Length of the Theatrical Cut [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Another splendid night at the theater! Smile

...PJ's the director, so it was certainly his prerogative to cut them down...

The length of the theatrical cut isn't the director's decision; it's the theater chains.

Today, there is no way to get a 3-hour film to show in the multiplex theaters. If you were to make a movie with an intermission like "Lawrence of Arabia" or "Cleopatra," it would never show on the big screen, so you'd be making a huge bet on the movie's ability to earn its income in DVD sales without the publicity that comes with release in theaters. That would be almost as nutty as having a major theatrical showing with no publicity at all (which, of course, will never happen because no one in his right mind would do it).

Based on this list in the Wikipedia, the last major film with an intermission was "Pearl Harbor," released nearly 15 years ago on May 25, 2001. Even though these are among the greatest films ever made, you can see from that list how the production of long films dwindled away after the introduction of the multi-screen movie complex.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2015, 4:17am

Post #21 of 36 (4750 views)
Shortcut
There is no basis for this whatsoever. [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ made his editing decisions based on what he considered the best pacing for the films (he has stated as such). The theater chains had nothing to do with it. If PJ wanted to release 3 hour films, he certainly could have.

- Viggo Mortensen

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2015, 4:24am

Post #22 of 36 (4731 views)
Shortcut
I noticed this more than ever on Monday night... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's funny because when AUJ first came out, all I could focus on was what was different from LotR. But now, in light of DoS and BotFA, I marvel at the things that are similar. Everything from the Shire to Rivendell, Gollum, the Eagles and Howard's musical score - it's all so evocative of LotR in a way that the latter two films aren't.

It makes AUJ quite unique in the trilogy.

- Viggo Mortensen

Bree

Oct 8 2015, 4:32am

Post #23 of 36 (4721 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

Ended up having to miss The showing tonight. In really sad. :(

Elarie
Grey Havens

Oct 8 2015, 12:04pm

Post #24 of 36 (4624 views)
Shortcut
Saw it last night [In reply to] Can't Post

So nice to see it in a theater on a big screen, especially Smaug, and the funny thing was, there were some places and lines that I didn't even remember from my blu-ray EE version. I think that when I watch it at home I don't always pay close attention every minute, so it felt very fresh and new in places, which was great. Also, seeing the EE scenes on the big screen for the first time just gives them so much more impact, it really makes a difference.

Looking forward to Tuesday so much!

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

elf_wannabee
Lorien

Oct 8 2015, 12:36pm

Post #25 of 36 (4614 views)
Shortcut
Here in St. Louis' Ronnie's Wehrenberg theater . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

there were about 15 audience members [5 less than for AUJ] viewing DoS EE.. Same intro by PJ. The trivia had more content but repeated after a while. I liked the better representation of Beorn. Did anyone notice that Bo5A EE is R rated??

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.