Who is seeing DOS EE tonight
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 8 2015, 3:40pm

Post #26 of 36 (2744 views)
Shortcut
R rating [In reply to] Can't Post

From what I've read, they had to remove some "orc killings" to get the original BotFA down to PG-13.

They've put those back in for the EE.

So, sorry, no naked Dwarves! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 8 2015, 4:25pm

Post #27 of 36 (2734 views)
Shortcut
What about the infamous Tauriel shower scene? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's in, isn't it?

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 9 2015, 1:39am

Post #28 of 36 (2699 views)
Shortcut
Ah, you're referring to the companion to the Eowyn showering scene? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they saved that for the Bonus materials, you'll have to purchase a special code to unlock it...

Wink

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 9 2015, 6:04am

Post #29 of 36 (2678 views)
Shortcut
Along with the [In reply to] Can't Post

Parth Galen bathing scene, I believe. Sly

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 9 2015, 9:32pm

Post #30 of 36 (2641 views)
Shortcut
We all know that was filmed... [In reply to] Can't Post

They just made up an excuse about the set being flooded out to prevent an overflow of curious fans from hiding in the bushes during filming! Wink

Now, I wonder where to locate the Easter egg for it...

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Oct 11 2015, 12:05am

Post #31 of 36 (2592 views)
Shortcut
Truth or Fiction? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
PJ made his editing decisions based on what he considered the best pacing for the films (he has stated as such). The theater chains had nothing to do with it. If PJ wanted to release 3 hour films, he certainly could have.

Is that your personal opinion, or do you have some authoritative reference to back up the claim?

LSF
Gondor

Oct 11 2015, 12:33am

Post #32 of 36 (2587 views)
Shortcut
editing [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a reason why the extended editions exist in the first place. Everything he wanted to put into the films (definitely with LOTR) was too long for the regular theater audience. As for theatrical films today, I haven't been to any over the 2hour40 time, other than AUJ, which was a bit over that. There's an "accepted" theater time length.

Then the concern is pacing of the theater cut.

Then it becomes an editing exercise of what you can defintely cut out, then what you have to cut out because of that decision. Like in Hobbit, they trimmed the White Council scene in AUJ to skip over the "rings subplot," so that affected DOS to where they would have to cut out a lot of the Thrain stuff. The best way to do that was just to not have Thrain at all. It's not just "cut stuff out until he reaches the acceptable time."

A lot of thinking goes into editing films. And it's not like he puts everything he filmed back into the EE either. He's thinking about the pacing of those too.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 11 2015, 2:03am

Post #33 of 36 (2584 views)
Shortcut
Wolf of Wall Street [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Scorsese's "The Wolf of Wall Street" is just one recent film that comes to mind that was 3 hours long.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

LSF
Gondor

Oct 11 2015, 2:16am

Post #34 of 36 (2581 views)
Shortcut
exception [In reply to] Can't Post

Haven't seen that movie. But my point is that 3-hour runtimes are the exception. I know a few people who came out of AUJ saying "I liked it, was really good, but too long for theater." Now I didn't think that leaving the theater. Yeah the 2hour40 thing isn't a hard and fast rule where your movie won't be shown if its over that, but a filmmaker should be mindful of that. It's one of those general rules. If your movie needs to be 3 hours, okay, but "felt too long" isn't something you want to hear from critics.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 11 2015, 2:22am

Post #35 of 36 (2581 views)
Shortcut
But that's been the case for a number of years... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was the case when PJ made LotR and King Kong. It's not a theater chain mandated thing. Studios just like movies to be shorter because they can fit in more showings, and therefore make more money.

But that isn't anything new. My point remains that if PJ had wanted to make The Hobbit films 3 hours long, he certainly had the clout to get his way.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 11 2015, 2:23am)

LSF
Gondor

Oct 11 2015, 2:34am

Post #36 of 36 (2578 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I'm sure if he really wanted to, he wouldn't be told no.

But this time around, it seemed he wanted to be more mindful of time length and the theater experience. For better or for worse.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.