The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Favorite Quote?

eowyn22
The Shire

Sep 29 2015, 7:36pm

Post #1 of 25 (2520 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Quote? Can't Post

What is your favorite quote from any of the books or movies? Personally, it is the poem about Aragorn:

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

(That was recited from memory) I love this poem so much. I would love to hear what you guys love too!

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 29 2015, 7:50pm

Post #2 of 25 (2478 views)
Shortcut
”Tell me, who are you, alone, yourself and nameless?” [In reply to] Can't Post

The most profound quote by Tolkien and arguably of all Western literature.

Movie:

"The Nine have left Minas Morgul."

An absolutely masterful delivery by Christopher Lee that makes you feel the cold fear of the Nazgul. (Shore's soundtrack helps, too.)

"Mister Frodo, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good frying pan at your side. I’ve been from one side of this garden to the other, I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Providence controlling everything. There's no Music of the Ainur that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Sep 29 2015, 7:52pm)

eowyn22
The Shire

Sep 29 2015, 7:55pm

Post #3 of 25 (2468 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a really good one. That particular statement by Saruman is really menacing and delivered perfectly.

I'm new to this site. It's been really fun to join this. I've been a fan of LOTR and the Hobbit for a couple years now and I discovered this site. It appeals to me so much because no one else in my family cares this much about Tolkien stuff. I am considered nerdy to them, and I was hoping I could find fellow Tolkienites here Wink

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 29 2015, 8:08pm

Post #4 of 25 (2459 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to have you with us! Hope you enjoy it here!

Here's some of my other favorites:

far now they be,
fierce and free,
and tamed is he;
but fat cat on the mat
kept as a pet
he does not forget.

-From "Cat"

(One of my most favoritest poems ever.)

Firiel looked from the river-bank,
one step daring;
then deep in clay her feet sank,
and she halted staring.
Slowly the elven-ship went by
whispering through the water:
‘I cannot come!’ they heard her cry.
‘I was born Earth’s daughter!’

-From "The Last Ship"

(In other words, “I chose a mortal life.”)

“Indeed if fish had fish-lore and Wise-fish, it is probable that the business of anglers would be very little hindered.”
-"Note 9" from the "Author's Notes on the 'Commentary'" from the Commentary on The Debate of Finrod and Andreth in HoME X, Morgoth's Ring.

(Tolkien’s true feelings regarding The Wise?)

"Mister Frodo, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good frying pan at your side. I’ve been from one side of this garden to the other, I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Providence controlling everything. There's no Music of the Ainur that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

eowyn22
The Shire

Sep 29 2015, 9:19pm

Post #5 of 25 (2442 views)
Shortcut
:) Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, you know poems that I don't even remember reading! That is so cool! I really admire that. I thought I was a pretty big Tolkien fan, but I guess I'm still a newbie. How long have you been a member of the forum? What got you into the Tolkien fandom?

By the way, another of my favorite quotes is when Gandalf says "I will not say do not weep, for not all tears are an evil" at the end of Return of the King. That ending always tears me up. Another great poem is at the beginning of the Hobbit- the "blunt the knives" one. That cracks me up every time I read the Hobbit Wink

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 29 2015, 9:52pm

Post #6 of 25 (2445 views)
Shortcut
If I could quote [In reply to] Can't Post

the entire passage of Frodo on Cerin Amroth I would, as it's beautiful writing that makes tangible the other-worldly nature of a land lived in and loved by Elves. Otherwise it's between Darkstone's offering and this one from Gandalf: “I will not say, do not weep, for not all tears are an evil.”

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 30 2015, 1:38pm

Post #7 of 25 (2397 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I was a pretty big Tolkien fan, but I guess I'm still a newbie.

There are lots of people on the boards with much greater knowledge than I. Some lecture, some teach, and some have even published Tolkien criticism! I’ve learned a lot here!

How long have you been a member of the forum?

I joined the old boards in December 2001, just after FOTR came out. That makes me a ”Second Ager”. “First Agers” joined *before* the films were released. There’s still a bunch of them around. I found the boards while I was googling to see who would be playing Eowyn, my favorite character. We moved to the new boards in 2007. The old boards are archived in the “Welcome” forum.

What got you into the Tolkien fandom?

I found the books in a bin for a dime apiece. I had no idea what the books were about or who Tolkien was, but the price was right for my high school student budget. Plus they had maps. I love maps, and the prospect of reading while following along on maps clinched the sale. (Unfortunately within a few pages I discovered that I had to read another book called “The Hobbit” first, so I had to go out and buy that for full cover price. Broke my budget for the month!)

You?

eowyn22
The Shire

Sep 30 2015, 1:42pm

Post #8 of 25 (2393 views)
Shortcut
As for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

I discovered the Hobbit at my library about 3 years ago now. It looked interesting to me, so I started reading it. I loved it, and I immediately read the Lord of the Rings trilogy the following summer and watched all of the movies. The last couple years, I went to the theater to see the Hobbit movies, which I really like. I have also read the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, the Children of Hurin, Smith of Wooton Major and Farmer Giles of Ham. I absolutely love Tolkien's works! He is my favorite author by far, and the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit movies are still my favorite movies of all time.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 30 2015, 4:50pm

Post #9 of 25 (2375 views)
Shortcut
Welcome (again) eowyn22 [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(That was recited from memory) I love this poem so much. I would love to hear what you guys love too!

Yes, the Aragorn poem has to be a favorite of mine too. But there are many. I choose Bilbo’s Song of Earendil first and foremost, not because (necessarily) of what it says but how it’s said.

After several readings of LOTR I became hooked on the exquisite complexity of this song and spent each evening (or two, for at least a month total) memorizing a single stanza (or part) at a time (if stanzas is the proper word here?) until I could repeat the works word for word.
But, alas, that was many years ago and much has left the brainpan in the meantime.

"Eärendil was a mariner
that tarried in Arvernien;
he built a boat of timber felled
in Nimbrethil to journey in;
her sails he wove of silver fair,
of silver were her lanterns made,
her prow was fashioned like a swan,
and light upon her banners laid.
. . .

Read it slowly and often. What a complex work of pure beauty!

”. . . computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.”
- Popular Mechanics, 1949

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 30 2015, 4:56pm

Post #10 of 25 (2377 views)
Shortcut
So agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I use it all the time :)

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 30 2015, 5:06pm

Post #11 of 25 (2378 views)
Shortcut
ohhh... so many! [In reply to] Can't Post

And some have been mentioned already.

Some that come to mind are intertwined throughout the time when Frodo and Sam meet Faramir in Ithilien:

... 'Frodo had felt himself trembling as the first shock of fear passed. Now a great weariness came down on him like a cloud. He could dissemble and resist no longer.

..."I was going to find a way into Mordor,' [Frodo] said faintly. 'I was going to Gorgoroth. I must find the Mountain of Fire and cast the thing into the gulf of Doom. Gandalf said so. I do not think I shall ever get there.'
... Faramir stared at him for a moment in grave astonishment. Then suddenly he caught him as he swayed, and lifting him gently, carried him to the bed and laid him there, and covered him warmly. At once he fell into a deep sleep.
... Another bed was set beside him for his servant. Sam hesitated for a moment, then bowing very low: 'Good night, Captain, my lord,' he said. 'You took the chance, sir.'
... 'Did I so?' said Faramir.
... 'Yes sir, and showed your quality: the very highest.'
... Faramir smiled. "A pert servant, master Samwise. But nay: the praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Maciliel
Valinor

Oct 1 2015, 1:26am

Post #12 of 25 (2345 views)
Shortcut
"WAKE THAT SLUGGARD, FATTY!" [In reply to] Can't Post

"WAKE THAT SLUGGARD, FATTY!"

easy to remember.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Ettelewen
Rohan

Oct 1 2015, 11:14pm

Post #13 of 25 (2271 views)
Shortcut
Gramma, I'm so happy you quoted this one [In reply to] Can't Post

It's one of my personal favorites also. Reading it, I can genuinely feel Frodo's exhaustion and near hopelessness, Sam's steadfastness, and Faramir's true nobility.

This is why I find myself re-reading each year (at least).

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Oct 2 2015, 1:32pm

Post #14 of 25 (2221 views)
Shortcut
Would have to be [In reply to] Can't Post

"Nobody tosses a dwarf", from FOTR, with "toss me" from TTT a close second. Those were my favorite lines from the book, and I'm was so glad they made it into the movies.

TP.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 2 2015, 3:08pm

Post #15 of 25 (2208 views)
Shortcut
Shire humor [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my favorites is about how sneaky the otherwise-ethical hobbits can be, such as Bilbo's party guests trying to double up on gifts. Bilbo seems aware of it and takes it in stride:

Bilbo met the guests (and additions) at the new white gate in person. He gave away presents to all and sundry – the latter were those who went out again by a back way and came in again by the gate.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 4 2015, 11:35am

Post #16 of 25 (2164 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to Main - definitely the place to get quotes from all movies & all books [In reply to] Can't Post

We've done this kind of 'favourite quote' thing within the Reading Room before, but I think it is definitely better game to play on Main, where more folks can join in, probably.

I'm going to choose a frivolous one this time:

'You seem to have been doing well, Master Took,' said Merry. 'You will almost get a chapter in Old Bilbo's book, if ever I get a chance to report to him...
'I shall have to brush up my toes, if I am to get level with you...'

The Uruk-hai (Chapter III of Two Towers, Book III, LOTR)

It's amusing to think of a hobbit 'brushing up his toes', though I think it is meant idiomatically, rather than that Merry is really going to get out a small brush...

I kinda like the donnish way Tolkien makes up Middle-earth idioms like this: some much more elegant than the clunky example I remember reading in a science fiction book where a character exclaims "what in space?!' (a crude upgrade to 'what on earth?!' )

I wrote a post about brushing toes as part of the Reading Room's read-through of Two Towers (to which everyone is invited, of course!). So I'll link to that, should anyone want to read more...
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=874444#874444

~~~~~~

Join us for a read-through of The Two Towers (Book III of Lord of the Rings) in the Reading-Room - 13 September- 29 November 2015.
Schedule etc: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=864064#864064

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Oct 4 2015, 7:10pm

Post #17 of 25 (2138 views)
Shortcut
Even in the darkest hour... [In reply to] Can't Post

"...there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for."

-- Samwise Gamgee, in the film, "The Return of the King" c. 2:44:45 on the Extended Edition
(I believe Philippa Boyens gets the credit for that line in the script.)

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Oct 6 2015, 1:23pm

Post #18 of 25 (2088 views)
Shortcut
Sam's line [In reply to] Can't Post

Occurs at the end of The Two Towers (film). Wink

GollumLovesFish
The Shire

Oct 7 2015, 12:38am

Post #19 of 25 (2076 views)
Shortcut
Good Morning by Gandalf... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"

I've been using this on people for years and the hate me for it. lol Tongue

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 7 2015, 9:53am

Post #20 of 25 (2053 views)
Shortcut
I clapped and *squeeee'd* [In reply to] Can't Post

When he said it! :D A dream come true! That... and the Stone Giants showed up!!! *sigh*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Oct 7 2015, 10:45pm

Post #21 of 25 (2029 views)
Shortcut
Sam's Line... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Occurs at the end of The Two Towers (film). Wink

Oops! Thanks!

Silly me. Forgot which movie I was watching.

elentari3018
Rohan

Oct 8 2015, 1:41am

Post #22 of 25 (2029 views)
Shortcut
There are way too many but these are the ones that stand out: [In reply to] Can't Post

By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall have neither the RIng nor me!"

"His will was set and only death could break it." ~RotK

"War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but i do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only which they defend." - Faramir

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Nuradar
Rohan

Oct 8 2015, 11:30am

Post #23 of 25 (1993 views)
Shortcut
you will always be welcome here, eowyn22 [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you found our Middle-Earth community. I hope you feel at home here.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 8 2015, 10:39pm

Post #24 of 25 (1964 views)
Shortcut
Horns, horns, horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last. [In reply to] Can't Post

*goosebumps*

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

dreamflower
Lorien

Oct 21 2015, 3:25am

Post #25 of 25 (1870 views)
Shortcut
Favorite quotes [In reply to] Can't Post

I have quite a lot, but I'll narrow it down to four:

In TH: Thorin to Bilbo: "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

In FotR: Haldir to Merry: "The world indeed is full of peril, and in it are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."

In TT: Aragorn to Pippin: "He who cannot cast away a treasure at need is in fetters."

In RotK: "And he sang to them, now in the Elven-tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."

Some people call it fanfiction. I call it story-internal literary criticism.

(This post was edited by dreamflower on Oct 21 2015, 3:27am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.