The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Darkness vs Light

DainPig
Gondor

Oct 7 2015, 2:49am

Post #1 of 9 (391 views)
Shortcut
Darkness vs Light Can't Post

I've created a nice concept of Darkness and Light. I hope you guys enjoy it.

The Darkness is older than Light. It is much more stronger, mighty and destructive than any power in the Universe. The Darkness is the heart of every single living being. It borns with you, and is with you right now, just need to awake. The Darkness is responsible for our anger, hatred, madness, depressions and all the other negative feelings.

The Light came after the Darkness. It is weaker than Darkness and less in quantity. However, the Light represents a better way to live and think. We don't born with it, we need to find a way to the Light. Alone you can't do it, just united people can reach enlightenment.

That's a principle of egoism/collectivism. People who use the Light need of other peoples to do it, because Light is too weak for only one person use alone, so we need to come together. Darkness can be found poweful in a single person, so they don't need of others.

Darkness
Good side:
extremely powerful
Bad side: difficult to control and it is terrific

Light
Good side:
it represents the way of brotherhood, and it is more beautiful
Bad side: too weak if used by only one people

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 7 2015, 8:00am

Post #2 of 9 (333 views)
Shortcut
Well, in return may I offer you a little poem... [In reply to] Can't Post

it was written by Sydney Carter and this may not be exact because I'm quoting it from memory....

My box of matches can amaze the night
The darkness cannot comprehend the light
Darkness, oblivion and death require
No explanation, but this spark of fire
Stabs at the root of probability
That such a thing as light could ever be is most improbable
Yet here I stand, holding a box of matches in my hand
And all my faith, and all my logic spring
From this first sudden and unlikely thing.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 7 2015, 1:32pm

Post #3 of 9 (311 views)
Shortcut
That's quite a mousey memory you have [In reply to] Can't Post

And may I add:

To paraphrase host of The Magic of Oil Painting William Alexander:

"Without dark there is no light, and without light there is no dark."

”. . . computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.”
- Popular Mechanics, 1949

Annael
Immortal

Oct 8 2015, 2:48pm

Post #4 of 9 (273 views)
Shortcut
a poem with a rather different view [In reply to] Can't Post

Light is the left hand of darkness
And darkness the right hand of light.
Two are one, life and death, lying,
Together like lovers . . .
Like hands joined together,
Like the end and the way.

by Ursula LeGuin; it's in her book The Left Hand of Darkness, a sci-fi book about a society in which people are hermaphrodites, both male and female, so don't see things in the dualistic way we do.

LeGuin's a Taoist. The Taoists and Buddhists see the dichotomies in life: dark/light, male/female, good/bad etc. as two sides of the same coin: you can't have one without the other. Even more, the yin/yang symbol conveys that there is the seed of one inside the other. Thus one "side" cannot "win" over the other. The Buddha said that every life has 10,000 joys and 10,000 sorrows. You don't "deserve" either, it's just how life is.

The Western religions - Judaism, Christianity, Islam - all came out of the tradition of Zoroastrianism, which was based on the idea that there are two separate forces in the world, one for good, one for evil, and that one must ally oneself with the good and work to defeat the evil. (Zoroastrianism also included the concepts of a Messiah, heaven and hell, and a single God.) These ideas have heavily influenced Western thinking. But they're not universal.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Oct 8 2015, 9:20pm

Post #5 of 9 (258 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. This would explain why, if Darkness is more powerful than Light, [In reply to] Can't Post

it seems easier to express negative emotions, etc., rather than Light-based emotions, etc. The more you set your mind to living a Light-filled existence though, the easier it gets and then it becomes to feel normal.

Just sign me,

Still a work in progress, but starting to get it.

Please, call me Ve.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 8 2015, 10:06pm

Post #6 of 9 (245 views)
Shortcut
Yes .... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Only in silence the word
only in dark the light
only in dying life..."

(also le Guin) It is a very different way of looking at things, as you say

Annael
Immortal

Oct 9 2015, 3:07pm

Post #7 of 9 (232 views)
Shortcut
Yoda might say [In reply to] Can't Post

it's easier, not more powerful.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 9 2015, 5:42pm

Post #8 of 9 (224 views)
Shortcut
I'm more of a traditionalist. [In reply to] Can't Post

John 1:5 - The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Arveldis
Rivendell

Oct 10 2015, 6:05pm

Post #9 of 9 (202 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

John 8:12: "Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the Light of the world; he who follows me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life."

Ephesians 5:8: "For you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.