Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
are you watching the EE of AUJ in theaters tonight?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bree

Oct 5 2015, 10:24pm

Post #1 of 34 (1945 views)
Shortcut
are you watching the EE of AUJ in theaters tonight? Can't Post

just curious

DainPig
Gondor

Oct 5 2015, 10:26pm

Post #2 of 34 (1871 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

grimbeorn15
Rivendell

Oct 5 2015, 10:28pm

Post #3 of 34 (1864 views)
Shortcut
Thought about it [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought about it, but decided to wait.

Bree

Oct 5 2015, 10:29pm

Post #4 of 34 (1859 views)
Shortcut
Even if I wanted to [In reply to] Can't Post

I would not be able to due to a class. Even if I could I likely would skip it since I feel like have seen that one a lot. I will watch DOS and BOTFA though for sure

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Oct 5 2015, 10:30pm

Post #5 of 34 (1858 views)
Shortcut
Wish I could [In reply to] Can't Post

Too far to travel for each movie showing. They should have done an EE marathon for one day - I would've loved that.

Justice for Fili

Dcole4
Rohan

Oct 5 2015, 10:36pm

Post #6 of 34 (1843 views)
Shortcut
No... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm seriously considering going to BOTFA EE next week. But may end up waiting the additional week for the digital download, that way I can go back and watch it again immediately after.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Oct 5 2015, 10:59pm

Post #7 of 34 (1823 views)
Shortcut
No, can't make it [In reply to] Can't Post

to AUJ EE or DOS EE, but hoping to get to BOFTA EE next week. We'll see...

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

LSF
Gondor

Oct 5 2015, 11:08pm

Post #8 of 34 (1818 views)
Shortcut
Only doing BOFA [In reply to] Can't Post

As a college student without much spare money for "fun" stuff, I shouldn't spend $20+ going to see two movies I already own on bluray and have watched several times. But I am going to see BOFA EE, most definitely.

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Oct 5 2015, 11:24pm

Post #9 of 34 (1800 views)
Shortcut
In the theater now waiting for it to begin [In reply to] Can't Post

Very small turnout. Pretty much what I expected. Well here goes. Wink

Will report on PJ intro or anything new

CFGriffith
The Shire

Oct 5 2015, 11:27pm

Post #10 of 34 (1797 views)
Shortcut
Sadly, no... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not even really sure we'll make the BotFA showing yet. :/

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Oct 5 2015, 11:30pm

Post #11 of 34 (1794 views)
Shortcut
Too far to drive, too costly [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish we could, be we can't afford the expense for the first two films. However, we've already preordered tickets for Battle of the Five Armies EE in the theater on October 13.

I'll put in the Blu-ray for An Unexpected Journey at 7:30 PM CDT and be with you in spirit! Enjoy!

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 5 2015, 11:48pm

Post #12 of 34 (1783 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

Would have as part of marathon, but too long a drive for these "fragmented" viewings - I own them, anyway. Seeing it on a big screen again would be nice, tho.Tongue

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2015, 2:22am

Post #13 of 34 (1698 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

other commitments on the 5th and 7th but have tickets for the 13 .
Echoing thoughts of others that it this had been a marathon, but. It is the way it is

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Bree

Oct 6 2015, 2:29am

Post #14 of 34 (1697 views)
Shortcut
a [In reply to] Can't Post

marathon? That would take the whole day

Dcole4
Rohan

Oct 6 2015, 2:35am

Post #15 of 34 (1677 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Would love to know what PJ's intro entailed!

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Oct 6 2015, 2:38am

Post #16 of 34 (1678 views)
Shortcut
They've done it multiple times for 'LotR' [In reply to] Can't Post

I went and saw all three in December of 2012 (it was rapturous).

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Oct 6 2015, 2:41am

Post #17 of 34 (1680 views)
Shortcut
Screening Report. [In reply to] Can't Post

About 10 people in the crowd including me

PJ's intro was extremely basic. Nothing specific to AUJ. Just a big thank you and mention of fathom events and saying he hopes people enjoy the films. Probably lasted around a total of 20 seconds or so. So a bit disappointing, not as film specific and in depth as the LOTR EE special screening ones 4 years back. Hopefully they do something special for BOFA EE though.

There was also an advertisement for the digital HD release of BOFA EE on October 20th; singling out iTunes and maybe a brief new overhead shot of the Rams from Dain's charge I couldn't tell. Very brief. Other than that pretty much stuff we've seen before.

Was really nice to see AUJ EE on the big screen though. Still my favorite of the bunch. Bring on DOS Wednesday!

Elarie
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2015, 3:15am

Post #18 of 34 (1651 views)
Shortcut
Yes, just got back [In reply to] Can't Post

SO NICE to see it again on the big screen and in a theater with no distractions. Enjoyed every minute Smile I love having the DVD's to watch any time I want, but nothing compares to seeing these movies on a really large screen, the way they were meant to be seen. Heart

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2015, 4:08am

Post #19 of 34 (1611 views)
Shortcut
Yes, indeed. And I had an absolutely glorious time... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

I actually wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it. But I got out of work early enough to stop for dinner and make it to the theater. I came in at the tail end of PJ's intro (which, judging by the description above, doesn't sound like it was anything special) and was whisked away once more into PJ's cinematic Middle-earth.

It's funny what a couple years (and an extended edition) will do. The first time I saw AUJ in theaters, I was quite let down after years of expectation. Tonight, however, I was grinning ear to ear. It was truly wonderful to see the longer cut on the big screen (the Theatrical never felt complete to me - same thing with DoS). Beyond the added footage, however, it was just a pleasure to see it on the big screen again period. These movies BELONG on a cinema screen. There's a sense of awe and majesty that even a large HD screen can't come close to capturing.

There were only about 5 other people in the theater, but that suited me just fine. They were, of course, Tolkien fans and there was something wonderful about watching the film in the cinema with a small group of "our kind". Tongue In the row in front of me was an elderly couple. I normally get annoyed at even low whispers from other audience members, but the sound of the elderly man whispering such things as "that's straight from the book", "her name is Belladonna...", etc. to his wife just made my heart warm.

I hope to make it on Wednesday to DoS, but family stuff might prevent it. Either way, I'll be there for sure next Tuesday for BotFA. Can't wait! Cool

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 6 2015, 4:10am)

elf_wannabee
Lorien

Oct 6 2015, 4:20am

Post #20 of 34 (1588 views)
Shortcut
Sure did! [In reply to] Can't Post

There were only about 20 people in the audience though. I wish there had been more. I went dressed as Bilbo. Did any other TORnsibs go cosplay at their theaters? I've got tickets for DoS and Bo5A too. There were 5 people in the audience that are Trilogy Tuesday veterans of 2003!! All these folks have tix to the other showings too!

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 6 2015, 4:22am

Post #21 of 34 (1581 views)
Shortcut
a wonderful day tho [In reply to] Can't Post

Only film marathons I have ever been to - so much fun. People in costume, everyone there to share the joy.Heart

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2015, 4:24am

Post #22 of 34 (1582 views)
Shortcut
Same here. Just got back [In reply to] Can't Post

from seeing it with all three of my grown kids, plus one of their friends. Theater was not crowded at all, and mostly middle-age people. But then, it seemed like hardly anyone was going to any of the other movie showings - Monday must be a quiet night.

Loved, loved, loved seeing it on the big screen with all the extras, with others who laugh at the right places (such as dwarves in the fountain!). I wanted to linger longer in Dale and in Bag End and Rivendell, soaking in all the details. Every scene seemed to go by more quickly than I remembered, even "Scene 88".

Loved Dame Edna's the Great Goblin's song, and the quiet moment with Elrond and Bilbo. And Gollum in full split personality detail.

It was a delight. Now I'm so excited for Wednesday night!
Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 6 2015, 4:35am

Post #23 of 34 (1560 views)
Shortcut
Yes, absolutely. [In reply to] Can't Post

As everyone else has said, the fans are not turning out in droves - there were about 10 people in the audience at the Regal Union Square in Manhattan. I didn't even see any of the folks who normally show up in costume to these kinds of events, which is sad... though perhaps they attended at the bed bug infested AMC Empire 25, which is also doing this event.

The PJ intro was disappointing to say the least, especially after so much time with radio silence from the man who has been a hero to so many of us (and so many of us hoping that BOTFA EE will be much better than the messy theatrical version.) As others have said, hopefully he'll have something more specific to say about BOTFA next week, but for now, all he's said was, essentially, thank you for coming out to see The Hobbit Extended Editions, and I hope you enjoy the films. Absolutely no passion... felt like a contractual obligation kind of thing.

The movie, on the other hand, was glorious, and I spotted many details I've never even seen on the Blu-ray just because I had a gigantic screen in front of me (like the Great Goblin's poo bucket... great detail, and YUCK!)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2015, 5:09am

Post #24 of 34 (1537 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

just did a two thirds marathon of LOTR ( had to skip out due to granddaughters work schedule and the two hour drive home. Now if they'd started at 9 AM instead of 1 PM we could have done the whole) and last year when BOTFA came out they did a hobbit marathon here in town ( didn't have to drive to Los Angeles) and I took the day off and went. It's easier for me to clear one complete day that it is to clear three evenings.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 6 2015, 5:29am

Post #25 of 34 (1511 views)
Shortcut
Wish I could've! [In reply to] Can't Post

Between the theatre around the block not showing it (still not sure why...) and my schedule, I wasn't able to attend. If nothing else, I'll try to do a trilogy screening in the next few weeks, if possible.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.