The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Thorin suffering from dragon sickness fan art

CFGriffith
The Shire

Oct 3 2015, 8:37pm

Post #1 of 5 (3314 views)
Shortcut
Thorin suffering from dragon sickness fan art Can't Post

Hello, folks! It took me a long while, but I didn't really work on it every day (and sometimes didn't go near it for a week or longer at a time)... finally though! My latest drawing of movie-Thorin is finished. Oof!

Posting a link to the drawing on deviantART, because shrinking the image down makes it get a bit choppy...

From the dA page:

I LOVED Richard's portrayal of the dragon sickness, and I wanted to capture that look while he wandered around Erebor looking for the Arkenstone (and believing one of his own Company must have stolen it and kept it from him). I wanted to make the viewer feel like one of the Company, wandering around discouraged, coming around a corner, and then looking up to see Thorin glaring at them as he lurks around the treasure like a mad ghost. Quickly now! Back to work! You probably don't want him getting too close and asking if you've found it yet...

I decided to take my time with this and try a lot of different things -- in some ways, I think my inked drawings are becoming more like paintings, as well as using things other than ink. Since I work in B&W, I want to find ways to still have parts of the image stand out over others so they don't turn into a muddy blur. It can be difficult for me to work on backgrounds especially, but the streaky effect ended up working in my favor for damaged Erebor.

Drawn on 8.5x11 drawing paper as a blue pencil sketch, then regular pencil to darken lines. Enlarged and transferred to 11x14 Bristol using a lightbox and blue pencil. Inked using Black Magic ink, Winsor & Newton series 7 brushes (#1, #2, and #3), as well as Micron pens (#'s 005, 01, 03, 08) and a Faber-Castell pen (M). Finished using Black Magic ink as ink wash, as well as black pencil, and Dr. Ph. Martin's Bombay white India ink. Scanned, then only slightly adjusted contrast -- for once, I didn't mind the effect of the scanner slightly washing out the spot blacks.

Original sketch (lines turned to grayscale and darkened to show on scan) here.
The sketch, ready for transfer to Bristol by lightbox and blue pencil here.

Thanks for looking! :)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 5 2015, 7:08pm

Post #2 of 5 (3190 views)
Shortcut
WOW, that is fabulous! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so envious of people who can draw - I suck at it. I especially like how he looks a little thinner in your sketch - he hasn't eaten for days, apparently! Also love your historical costumes. I'm crocheting a shawl in the style of the "Outlander" show. My office is putting together a gift basket for a silent auction fundraiser, and doing Outlander was my idea. Sorry, getting off topic here. Great job, mind if I copy it?

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

CFGriffith
The Shire

Oct 5 2015, 8:05pm

Post #3 of 5 (3185 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the reply Kilidoescartwheels! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool! My mom always did lots of crochet. I could never get good enough beyond practicing chains, tried knitting, but it was a little too much for me to do for too long sadly. Always neat seeing those who can knit and crochet!

My husband put together the scans I took through the process and made a neat animation showing how it looked at various stages.

You mean save a copy to your computer? Sure! Also -- and it's a big file -- but there is a "download" button on the right side of its dA page that will let you download the big version to print out if you want a paper-copy too. Thanks for looking! :)

Kim
Valinor

Oct 6 2015, 12:10am

Post #4 of 5 (3165 views)
Shortcut
This takes the Thorin glare to a whole new level [In reply to] Can't Post

Another excellent piece of artwork, thanks for sharing. And yes, I think it would be a bit disconcerting to come around a corner and run into him in that frame of mind! Shocked

I also saw that Thorin Oakenshield (Heirs of Durin) shared your Thorin with Roac drawing a few days ago on FB. Fun conversation in the comments. Smile

CFGriffith
The Shire

Oct 6 2015, 12:52am

Post #5 of 5 (3160 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Kim! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yes, I saw -- it was a lovely surprise to see. :D So thankful that group has kindly shared my art since I first started drawing again -- I credit them to be the other half of the reason I started drawing again (and a few of my drawings, like the Gloin locket drawing and the Fili pencil drawing, were drawn for them specifically). A nice bunch, they are! :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.