Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 3 2015, 11:25pm

Post #26 of 44 (1058 views)
Shortcut
No, I didn't! :( [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
did you know about this?

What a shame. That kind of history can't ever be replaced.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Withywindle
Bree

Oct 4 2015, 5:14am

Post #27 of 44 (1030 views)
Shortcut
Excuse me... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That is plain wrong. The critical response to DOS was pretty clearly the best out of the three. AUJ and BOFTA reviews were lukewarm overall. How can you say, especially the last two? Just because AUJ is probably your favourite of the three does not change the fact that DOS was received better

Personally, i enjoyed reading all the reviews from all directions, the positive and the negative ones. I was pretty surprised to find out that most of the positive elements pointed out by the majority of the reviewers were not in my top list of personal preferences. The same applied with the negative ones. Almost none of the negative aspects, according to them, matched my own
gripes and parts i disliked.

I think he just used the last two because the user which he responded to was saying that they were greatly acclaimed. There was nothing in his post saying that AUJ was his favorite. Yes, DOS was received the best, but it was still not very well received. I did what he suggested to the other user. On rottentomatoes from top critics: AUJ: 46% "rotten", DOS: 66% "certified fresh", and BotFA: 49% "rotten". Going through each movie I noticed that the number of critics goes down. AUJ: 48, DOS: 44, BotFA: 41. If the same number of critics reviewed each one then the movie could either have gotten a much higher rating or lower. It does not really matter about their opinion, though, but just what you think was the best.

Thank you for reading.

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Oct 4 2015, 5:46am

Post #28 of 44 (1016 views)
Shortcut
Works for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... if you want to just say that all critics are bollocks and untrustworthy, then we can just go ahead and chuck out all critics ...

Good plan! Laugh

Reviewers, I trust. They tell you about their experience with the films, usually telling us what's in the work and sometimes providing interesting background information.

Critics are just twits trying to bolster their tiny egos by tearing down the works of others. I've not seen a single one with any talent or expertise applicable to the subject.

Of course we see a lot of self-proclaimed "critics" babbling on about nearly everything these days. Anybody can claim to be a critic about anything. There has been a marked change across the Internet starting some time around 2008; it is the advent of the Age of the Troll, everywhere. They create innumerable sock puppets to come in on YouTube and the discussion boards to support their arguments. They deface articles in the Wikipedia by using sock puppets to insert links to their own click-hungry web sites. And they do it all anonymously.

Meanwhile, they cling to the volume of artificial noise they have made on the net while the Hobbit film trilogy continues to be among the highest-grossing movies in the entire history of cinema.

More amusement: The origin of the term "troll" on the net really didn't have anything to do with Tom, Bert, and William or any of their relatives. It derives from the fishing term, dragging bait through the water to see if you can get something hooked. It started out as "trolling for trouble" and, as such things tend to do, evolved to its shorter form.

(This post was edited by CamdenMcAndrews on Oct 4 2015, 5:47am)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 4 2015, 6:02am

Post #29 of 44 (1007 views)
Shortcut
You are excused [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

DOS was received the best

On rottentomatoes from top critics: AUJ: 46% "rotten", DOS: 66% "certified fresh", and BotFA: 49% "rotten

I am not sure where we disagree. The critical response to DOS was indeed the best. As far as AUJ is concerned, i am in this forum for a good amount of time to be familiar with the personal preferences of regular membersWink

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Oct 4 2015, 6:06am

Post #30 of 44 (1003 views)
Shortcut
Edgar Rice Burroughs [In reply to] Can't Post

Meanwhile, back at the original topic for this thread...

If Peter Jackson and the folks in New Zealand were looking for ideas about what to do next, I'd say: Do a series on "Tarzan of the Apes." (Hey, I can dream!)

Among the hundreds of films made about the character created by Edgar Rice Burroughs, only one ("Greystoke") has even tried to be faithful to the original story. I'd love to see the Wingnuts and Wetas tackle that one! I think they have the talent, resources, and technology to finally do a fantastic job of bringing the original story to the screen.

One might be tempted to point out that a bazillion films have already been made about the Tarzan, but in fact, although all those films capitalized on the character's name, only "Greystoke" is really about him; and even "Greystoke" took unnecessary license with the story, and only told half of it.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 4 2015, 8:02am

Post #31 of 44 (989 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't there something Peter Jackson talked about filming.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...or bought the rights to or something - a story about a ship. I think I can vaguely remember the idea, but no details.

And on your general point yes, I think it would be interesting. His King Kong was a film I had no interest in until I saw it on TV - then it won me over by the way the story was told. I'd certainly take an interest in any future films of his.

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 4 2015, 8:27am

Post #32 of 44 (990 views)
Shortcut
What should Peter Jackson do now? [In reply to] Can't Post

This is an oldie, but quite an interesting read in light of the topic of this thread.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 4 2015, 9:44am

Post #33 of 44 (960 views)
Shortcut
That is an interesting read... [In reply to] Can't Post

...not that old, and I for one hadn't seen it before. Very fair-minded too.

Temeraire was the thing I was thinking of.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 4 2015, 10:59am

Post #34 of 44 (948 views)
Shortcut
David Reimer [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are more information on the man "As Nature Made Him" is all about. Having rewatched Heavenly Creatures recently this could really be interesting coming from PJ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 4 2015, 1:31pm

Post #35 of 44 (928 views)
Shortcut
ERB [In reply to] Can't Post

A series of Tarzan films more faithful to the books (while presumably reducing the racist elements) is an intriguing idea. Jackson might also be the person to take another stab at the John Carter of Mars series. And I'd really love to see what could be done with Pellucidar with a real budget (Tarzan at the Earth's Core anyone?).

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 4 2015, 6:57pm

Post #36 of 44 (895 views)
Shortcut
Well I'm willing to say it [In reply to] Can't Post

I think critics are crap, don't care what any of them say! I actually saw "Fargo" based on so-called critical review, and I thought it was awful. Pretty much if I know critics hate it, I'll probably like it, and vice versa. The individual movies each made close to (or over) $1 Billion, so you can't hardly call that a "failure." You can call them terrible if that's your opinion, but $1 Billion in sales is definitely not a failure.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Bishop
Gondor

Oct 4 2015, 7:09pm

Post #37 of 44 (883 views)
Shortcut
out of context [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll notice I never said the movies were failures, and I actually DID say I don't take much stock in critics opinions anyways. So no need to make stuff up about what I'm saying! :)

Imladris18
Lorien

Oct 5 2015, 5:44pm

Post #38 of 44 (791 views)
Shortcut
I am excited for Dambusters. [In reply to] Can't Post

As someone whose top interests are military aviation and Tolkien, it's a match made in heaven.

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 6 2015, 1:18am

Post #39 of 44 (757 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know this story. It's incredibly sad.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2015, 5:56am

Post #40 of 44 (751 views)
Shortcut
I'm most curious about... [In reply to] Can't Post

...his "small, New Zealand" films, although I do wonder how small he'll be able to keep it. This is probably the most promising of his future projects to me.

I'd be very curious to see his version of Dambusters even if it the comparisons to George Lucas and Red Tails write themselves. PJ was connected to so many projects back in the mid-to-late 2000s though that I sometimes wonder if any of them will come to fruition.

I never saw the first Tintin and I have to wonder how if Spielberg is still interested in continuing their collaborating after this many years, but I know a lot of people who liked the first one so for their sake I hope there are more.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 6 2015, 6:29am

Post #41 of 44 (744 views)
Shortcut
I found Tintin [In reply to] Can't Post

horribly disappointing and will definitely not watch any future Tintin films if they are anything like the first.

Imladris18
Lorien

Oct 6 2015, 1:18pm

Post #42 of 44 (718 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, Red Tails was pretty bad. [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved seeing/hearing P-51s and B-17s flying around in modern cinema, but that's about where the good of the movie stops. I never even thought of the Lucas comparison, especially considering Lucas did not direct Red Tails.

If Dambusters gets made, and it's any good at all, I don't think PJ will catch flak (pun not intended) for Lucas comparisons.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2015, 3:45pm

Post #43 of 44 (703 views)
Shortcut
I was being a little flippant [In reply to] Can't Post

I do recall a rumor that Lucas had ghost-directed significant portions of Red Tails during reshoots, but I can't confirm that offhand. I do think that PJ has the potential to make a pretty cool Dambusters movie but I couldn't resist mentioning the potential comparison depending on how it turns out. Sly

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Crystal

Oct 14 2015, 2:50pm

Post #44 of 44 (613 views)
Shortcut
History is fun [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to see films about the early history of New Zealand. I bet Peter Jackson would do an excellent job of it since he's so darn good with most everything else he's done and he really loves the subject. Stories about the Maori and their settlement in New Zealand before the Europeans arrived would be cool, too.

And yeah, Tarzan. But I never even read Edgar Rice Burroughs until Camden got me hooked on it back when I was an impressionable teenager. All of the Burroughs stories are really love stories with adventure stories wrapped all around them. I like those. I think he'd do good with them especially with Fran Walsh and Philppa Boyens writing the screen play, but only if they can check their political baggage at the door and just let the women be real turn of the century women instead of some silly fantasy.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.