Reaching out to U.K. TORners - for a class project
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 2 2015, 9:25pm

Post #1 of 49 (1151 views)
Shortcut
Reaching out to U.K. TORners - for a class project Can't Post

So I'm taking a nutrition class this semester, and we have this "cultural" assignment. Come up with a 14-day menu for a different culture. I must confess, my first choice was Italian, but someone beat me to it. I listed a "U.K. or Northern European" menu as second choice, because a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away) I was in the USAF stationed in England. I'm sure a lot has changed in 30 something years, and what I remember is the typical U.K. diet wasn't that different from the USA. There were of course sandwhich trucks, fish 'n chips, and steak & kidney pie, but also burgers and fries/chips. There was the whole thing about tea time, kind of a late lunch/early dinner if I recall; peas and cabbage were common vegetables, and there were lots of Indian restaurants. I remember one place where I'd go at least once a month in Ipswich that was a Tandori restaurant, really good food. Anyway, that's what I can remember, and that's really not much, certainly not enough for 2 weeks, so if anyone in England/Scotland/Wales can throw some ideas my way for "typical U.K. meals" I'd really appreciate it. Cheers!Cool

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Oct 3 2015, 1:34am

Post #2 of 49 (1056 views)
Shortcut
I do not live in the UK... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I found this online!
http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/...tions/food/meals.htm

I can also ask a couple great friends of mine in the UK! But that might take a little time, I'll try to though. But you'll probably get an answer before me from someone around here.

"Obviously the idea of being human is a very human idea."
-Dominic Monaghan

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 3 2015, 2:04am

Post #3 of 49 (1045 views)
Shortcut
Thank You!! [In reply to] Can't Post

The link is very helpful. I didn't remember beans and mushrooms for breakfast, certainly the sausage and eggs, and tomatos. But the cereal, that's interesting. If you wouldn't mind, I would like to know what your friends think as well. The project fortunately isn't due for a month, I just don't want to wait 'til the last minute.Cool

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 3 2015, 8:08am

Post #4 of 49 (1033 views)
Shortcut
Can an English mouse help? [In reply to] Can't Post

'Full English breakfast' varies quite a bit depending on who you are and where you are. Fried or scrambled egg and bacon was the traditional home-ccoked breakfast, with fried bread and maybe tomato, maybe mushroom. But over the years things have been added, particularly with hotels and cafés getting in on the act and wanting to offer big, full plates. So sausages come into it and baked beans (when I was a kid and cooked breakfasts were more usual, the sausage and baked beans weren't a breakfast thing, they were more of a main meal - sausage, beans and chips or mashed potato.) In the north they also have black pudding as an ingredient of a 'full English'.

And don't forget the toast and marmalade afterwards!

What else? Boiled egg in an egg cup with soldiers (toast cut into fingers, which you dip in the egg yolk) - that's another breakfast think. Kipper is another breakfast food, especially in Scotland. But the link is right, cereal is much more common now, maybe with fruit or fruit and yogurt.

Lunch - I think most people have some kind of takeaway now, sandwiches and the like, with fruit or something sweet to follow, particularly if they're at school or out at work, and a main meal in the evening.

Tea/dinner - Always used to be some variant of 'meat and two veg' but people are much more adventurous these days and there are SO many cookery programmes. We've also pinched ideas from other countries and cultures - pasta and curries and pizza and ....

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2015, 4:44pm

Post #5 of 49 (1012 views)
Shortcut
I am not sure my menu would be of any help to you [In reply to] Can't Post

In a typical week we can flit from English to Indian, over to Thai, back across to Italian with a bit of Mexican thrown in for good measure.

Meals I would consider "English" include fish and chips, shepherd's pie, cottage pie, roast dinners etc. But when I look at my own eating habits and the habits of those around me, we definitely seem to travel the world via our food choices.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Oct 3 2015, 8:10pm

Post #6 of 49 (1001 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... UK adn northern European is a very wide area in a culinary sense! [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I'll go for some fairly traditional UK options:

Bangers and mash - sausages and mashed potatoes, usually served with peas or carrots
Haggis, bashed neeps and mash (Scottish) - bashed neeps being mashed swedes
Hot pot - more or less any kind of meat, diced and slow cooked with vegetables of the season and topped with sliced potato that gives a crispy top crust
Corned beef hash - diced corned beef mixed up with mashed potato (again!) and finely copped fried onion, then fried in a shallow pan
Cawl (Welsh) - sort of halfway between soup and stew, involving diced lamb, leeks and other vegetables (but always with lamb and leeks), served with a chunk of wholemeal bread

Light snacky meals could be just about anything on toast - scrambled or fried egg, baked beans, cheese, tinned sardines etc

Then of course there's high tea, a bit more ceremonial involving a choice of nicely presented sandwiches and small cakes, scones and so forth - nothing too heavy.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 3 2015, 8:41pm

Post #7 of 49 (994 views)
Shortcut
Kippers [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a type of fish, isn't it? Normally smoked? Or am I thinking of something else?

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 3 2015, 8:43pm

Post #8 of 49 (993 views)
Shortcut
What is "cottage pie?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in the USA, shepherd's pie is pretty much a ground beef dish topped with mashed potatoes, that are browned in the oven. Is it the same for you?

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 3 2015, 8:47pm

Post #9 of 49 (994 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, "Northern Europe" is a large area [In reply to] Can't Post

But while stationed at RAF Bentwaters I did some touring to Sweden, France and Germany. Seems like fried potatoes are pretty universal, as are sausages and smoked fish. I've heard of Haggis, but not neeps and swedes - are they a vegetable? I seem to remember that peas were served frequently, as well as cabbage for the vegetable. And the base served some kind of fried rabbit, which I've never had before or since, not sure if it had a special name.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 3 2015, 8:48pm

Post #10 of 49 (991 views)
Shortcut
Many thanks to all who've replied [In reply to] Can't Post

This is very helpful!Smile

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 3 2015, 9:18pm

Post #11 of 49 (985 views)
Shortcut
Yorkshire pudding! [In reply to] Can't Post

and not forgetting "toad in the hole"

From Wales you might get Leak and potato soup, welsh cakes, Bara Brith, Laver Bread (seaweed)

" Grant me a good sword - but no use for it "

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 3 2015, 9:53pm

Post #12 of 49 (974 views)
Shortcut
Kipper = smoked herring // [In reply to] Can't Post

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 3 2015, 10:05pm

Post #13 of 49 (989 views)
Shortcut
Cornish pasties [In reply to] Can't Post

I've posted about these before.

Good luck with your project! Are you going to get to prepare any of your recipes for the class?

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 3 2015, 10:23pm

Post #14 of 49 (972 views)
Shortcut
Well sort of but not quite.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Shepherd's pie is minced lamb (mixed with chopped vegetables) topped with mashed potato and cooked in the oven.

Cottage pie is minced beef (mixed with chopped vegetables) topped with mashed potato and cooked in the oven.

That's the basic - but there are loads of different recipes.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 3 2015, 11:34pm

Post #15 of 49 (957 views)
Shortcut
I'm supposed to present one [In reply to] Can't Post

Naturally I've watched "Poldark" & read about those pasties - I keep thinking of sweet rolls but obviously that's not it. Thanks for the link, that will come in handy!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 3 2015, 11:39pm

Post #16 of 49 (956 views)
Shortcut
"Pudding" is kind of like a cake, isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I tried to make a Yorkshire pudding a long time ago, but the recipe wasn't very good. My grandfather said there's more to it than just flour and oil, go figure. Pudding makes me think of Jello, in the USA it's a milk-based product, more like custard. This is so much fun! I'm learning alot, thanks so much! I'll have to look up "toad in the hole," sounds interesting!

Na Vedui
Rohan

Oct 3 2015, 11:44pm

Post #17 of 49 (947 views)
Shortcut
Some Welsh stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

If you'd like to add a Welsh flavour to a slap-up fried breakfast with bacon etc, there are laverbread (an edible seaweed) and Glamorgan sausages (veggie; if you google them there's probably a recipe).
Welsh rarebit is a nice snack on toast.
For an afternoon tea there is bara brith ("speckled bread") - a kind of fruit loaf - serve thinly sliced and buttered; the best recipes have the dried fruit soaked in tea before use. Also Welsh cakes (aka Pice bach or Pice ar y maen) small flat sweet cakes made on a griddle - serve with butter and jam available.
Cawl is a soup made with Welsh lamb, leeks, and other vegetables, and is a traditional dish for St David's Day (or whenever you like). Serve with bread, butter and a piece of a Welsh cheese.

Na Vedui
Rohan

Oct 3 2015, 11:59pm

Post #18 of 49 (948 views)
Shortcut
A nice Northern English cake [In reply to] Can't Post

is Yorkshire parkin, made with black treacle and oatmeal. There's also Thor (or Thar) cake, which is a bit similar. I think I have recipes if you want them; maybe for bara brith and welshcakes too.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Oct 4 2015, 7:50am

Post #19 of 49 (923 views)
Shortcut
'Neeps' is colloquial Scottish for turnips [In reply to] Can't Post

but it gets complicated, because what is usually cooked is swede, which has golden coloured flesh. Turnips tend to have white flesh. Diced swede and carrot are often served as a vegetable (with a bit of butter, salt and pepper); the visual effect of orange and yellow cubes is attractive.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 4 2015, 8:11am

Post #20 of 49 (920 views)
Shortcut
Depends on the pudding.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yorkshire pudding is savoury, meant to go with roast beef (at one time they served it first, so people could fill up on it because it was cheaper than meat). (Toad in the hole is sausages cooked in a batter mix similar to a Yorkshire pudding mix.)

Originally puddings were savoury - meat and other stuff mixed to a thick goo and steamed or boiled in some kind of casing - like haggis. Or like the way Christmas pudding is cooked - only of course that's a sweet pudding.

Now in England we tend to use the word pudding to mean 'dessert', so in that sense it's anything sweet that you have as a last course.

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 4 2015, 10:11am

Post #21 of 49 (909 views)
Shortcut
And don't forget the black pudding [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my favourite childhood treats!

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 4 2015, 11:24am

Post #22 of 49 (902 views)
Shortcut
How could I forget the black pudding! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 4 2015, 6:06pm

Post #23 of 49 (868 views)
Shortcut
That would be fabulous! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we're supposed to do a nutritional breakdown, so the recipes would be really helpful for that!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Oct 5 2015, 4:14am

Post #24 of 49 (850 views)
Shortcut
and 'Swedes' is colloquial for rutabagas [In reply to] Can't Post

at least, that's what I learned when we lived in Scotland. Speaking of...

Soup is popular, at least around the University of Glasgow it was. Carrot and coriander is a biggie, and cock-a-leekie (chicken soup with leeks), and leek and potato.

And Indian takeaway (take-out) gave me the worst heartburn of my life when I was pregnant with my Hobbit. It's as ubiquitous as Mexican food in many parts of the US, and just as adapted for local tastes.

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

ShireHorse
Rohan

Oct 5 2015, 1:56pm

Post #25 of 49 (838 views)
Shortcut
When I think of 'English' food...... [In reply to] Can't Post

.....I think of what I eat when I stay in an English hotel, when someone else is cooking for me. I know that a lot of this has been said already.

There is quite a range for breakfast for people to choose from. You start with a choice of cereals, including porridge topped with sugar, honey or a fruit, like sliced bananas. Then you can move onto a choice from the 'Full English' range, as it's called: bacon, eggs (fried, poached or scrambled), tomatoes, and definitely mushrooms, with local sausages and baked beans. People often don't choose them all and if they want something lighter, a popular breakfast choice is scrambled egg mixed up with smoked salmon on toast or even kedgeree, a spicy rice and smoked haddock dish, something that the Brits invented during the days of Empire when they were in India. You often see this served in period dramas:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10421/kedgeree

And if you have any more room, toast with jam and marmalade finishes things off plus the accompanying tea or coffee.

If I go out for a light lunch, then certain things are offered quite frequently in nice cafes: quiche and a salad is always good (or is that considered French?) A large potato in its jacket with a whole selection of toppings is also popular: just butter, or grated cheese, or baked beans, or creamy chicken and mushrooms, or tuna, or prawns in a sauce etc etc. Some of the following are more 'exotic' than others:

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/...cket-potato-fillings

Then there's the famous pasty which has, nowadays, a huge variety of fillings and not just the traditional 'Cornish' one. Or you might choose hot sausage rolls (sausage meat in flaky pastry) or the wonderful (cold) pork pies, traditionally from Melton Mowbray.

A favourite on a cold day is a soup with lovely, crusty bread: tomato, tomato and red pepper, leek and potato, carrot and coriander, spinach and orange, Mulligatawny, Devonshire crab. Here's a list of old-fashioned British soups:

http://www.allbritishfood.com/soup/soupindex.php

And how about a traditional 'ploughman's lunch' in a local pub? This is bread, cheese, pickles and possibly ham, hard boiled eggs and pickled onions:

http://foodnetwork.sndimg.com/...hmans-lunch_s4x3.jpg

Afternoon tea is yummy with delicious cakes or a cream tea (scones with jam, butter and clotted cream, accompanied by tea or coffee). Clotted cream is to die for but I don't think it's readily available in America.

Evening meals, as mentioned, include roasts (roast pork joint with crackling and roast apples is my favourite), fish and chips, local sausages and mash, and, of course, curries. If you want a curry invented by the English then it's the hugely popular tikka masala:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/...chicken-tikka-masala

Other suggestions: fish pie (selection of fish and prawns in a creamy sauce, covered with a mashed potato topping), boiled ham with new potatoes and peas, steak and kidney pie (delicious - the kidneys thicken and enrichen the gravy and are essential).

'Pudding' is just another name for a dessert or 'afters'. Comfort food is often implied, something hot and stodgy with custard or cream. Popular desserts are the trifle, lemon posset, banoffee pie (toffee and bananas), apple crumble, bread and butter pudding (my favourite) and the ultimate comfort food - sticky toffee pudding:

http://allrecipes.co.uk/...ritish-desserts.aspx

Restaurants, cafes and pubs (which now nearly all offer food with many becoming gastro pubs), have all improved tremendously over the past 20 years and the British are very adventurous in their choice of foreign or foreign-inspired foods. We'll try anything, LOL!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.