Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Movie Music Trivia Game #3

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 10 2007, 9:56pm

Views: 854
Shortcut
Movie Music Trivia Game #3 Can't Post

This weekend and the beginning of next week are busy for me, so I'm going to grab the opportunity to post the next music trivia quiz while I can.

Music Trivia Challenge #1 dealt with a theme.
Music Trivia Challenge #2, with the sounds of the Ring.

For our Music Trivia Challenge #3, I'm going in a slightly different direction.

Housekeeping:
First: if anyone reading is curious but thinks they don't enough about music or the soundtrack to play, let me assure you you're wrong. These games aren't so much about what someone knows going in as they are about looking at a particular aspect of the movie and having a discussion about it. Providing answers in a quiz format is all for fun, but not the only way to participate. I don't care how many resources you use to answer, I don't care if you only guess, or just provide general comments. My main goal is to promote conversation among members of this forum. My next goal is to provide members with some light hearted fun. My next goal is to have people come away with more knowledge or insight about something than when they went in.
Second: I enjoy doing these quite a bit, but they do take some time to prepare. I can find the time to do it but I can't always find the time during the week to play hostess. Please, please forgive me if I seem absent during the week. I will be back for answers and comments. But in the meantime, I would be thrilled if you all made yourself at home and conversed with each other while I'm gone. It's not nearly as much fun, IMO, if people just list their answers and thoughts but no interaction ever takes place. Mingle... talk... :D

The Game:
There are different parts to this challenge and different levels. Feel free to complete different part on different days and in different posts.

This weeks challenge has clips from 8 scenes. The clips can be found by following > THIS LINK <.

Listen to all 8 clips in the first section.
Challenge One:
What do all these clips have in common?
Challenge Two:
What scenes are these clips from?

The Clues:
Now, this is pretty much impossible to complete with using the clues. I'm going to let you decide how many and what type of clues you wish to utilize. The first few clues everyone should read. They're not clues so much as parameters. The rest I'll put in hidden text (highlight to read).
  • The first section contains clips from a CD, either an OST (Original Sound Track) or CR (Complete Recording). Listening to all 8 will help you find the commonality. The scenes in the Extra Challenge Section have issues that make them problematic. Read more below.
  • The second section contains clips from the movie or using sound from the movie. Listening to these may be the only way you can answer complete Challenge Two. Since most will be obvious with movie dialog and sound effects, you should give yourself the opportunity to solve without them, but don't consider it 'cheating' to listen.
  • It is possible that multiple clips may come from the same scene.
  • Challenge clips - These clips are somewhat problematic for the following reasons (hidden text / highlight to read):
  • Scene 5: This music - that's heard on the CD - is not in the movie. To identify this clip for Challenge Two, you'll need to listen to the 'movie' clip which mixes the movie dialog and sound effects with the CR music.
  • Scene 6: This music does not, IMO, provide a strong example of the commonality for Challenge One. Don't let this clip, on its own, throw you off your ideas and opinions for the group as a whole.
  • Scene 7: This music - that's heard on the CD - is not in the movie. To identify this clip for Challenge Two, you'll need to listen to the 'movie' clip which mixes the movie dialog and sound effects with the CR music.
  • Scene 8: This music - that's heard on the CD - is not in the movie. To identify this clip for Challenge Two, you'll need to listen to the 'movie' clip which mixes the movie dialog and sound effects with the CR music.

• Which movie are these clips from: (highlight to read)
  • General hint: all the clips are from either FOTR or TTT. There are surely good examples of the commonality in ROTK, but they aren't included in this game. I will elaborate why when I provide the answers.
  • Of the 8 clips: > 6 < are from > TTT < and > 2 < are from > FOTR <
    Specifically:

• Scene 1 is from TTT
  • Scene 2 is from FOTR
  • Scene 3 is from TTT
  • Scene 4 is from TTT
  • Scene 5 is from TTT
  • Scene 6 is from TTT
  • Scene 7 is from TTT
  • Scene 8 is from FOTR

• Which principal characters are involved with these clips (highlight to read)
  • Scene 1 Frodo, Sam, Gollum
  • Scene 2 the Fellowship
  • Scene 3 Frodo, Sam, Gollum
  • Scene 4 the Three Hunters
  • Scene 5 the 4 Hobbits and Strider
  • Scene 6 Frodo, Sam, Gollum
  • Scene 7 Merry and Pippin
  • Scene 8 Frodo and Arwen

• Clue about the commonality of the music clips: (highlight to read) Pay more attention to how the music sounds than where or how the music is used.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 10 2007, 9:57pm)

Subject User Time
Movie Music Trivia Game #3 Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 10 2007, 9:56pm
    Scary! FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 12 2007, 5:37pm
        You are fun to play with... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 12 2007, 6:00pm
    Tricksier and tricksier... weaver Send a private message to weaver Mar 12 2007, 11:00pm
    Hmmm... Trixie Hobbit Send a private message to Trixie Hobbit Mar 17 2007, 1:13pm
    Here there be Answers! Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 17 2007, 4:56pm
        Recap of answers Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 17 2007, 5:37pm
        Aleotoric! I learned something new! weaver Send a private message to weaver Mar 19 2007, 5:32pm
            OOH... very cool analogy Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 19 2007, 5:51pm
                processing time... weaver Send a private message to weaver Mar 19 2007, 6:16pm
        Thank you, Magpie! FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 22 2007, 9:41am
            some references to aleatoric music Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 22 2007, 11:36am
    Difficult one this week linkin-artelf Send a private message to linkin-artelf Mar 18 2007, 2:26am
    Aha! aleatoric! linkin-artelf Send a private message to linkin-artelf Mar 18 2007, 2:36am
        Thanks for participating LA. Your prize is in the mail. ;^) n/t Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 18 2007, 3:06am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.