Favorite Musical Theme
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Oct 2 2015, 5:13pm

Post #1 of 30 (1836 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Musical Theme Can't Post

At first I was less impressed with the music in these ones than LOTR, but I've come to appreciate and love them just as much.
What musical theme or motif is your favorite in the Hobbit films? I'd have to go with the Misty Mountains theme or Kili and Tauriel's theme. I also like that whimsical theme that plays when wacky shenanigans are going on (sadly it didn't appear in BOFA at all).

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 2 2015, 5:20pm

Post #2 of 30 (1780 views)
Shortcut
Misty Mountains Cold [In reply to] Can't Post

For me it has to be the Misty Mountain theme that became the main theme of AUJ.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 2 2015, 5:22pm

Post #3 of 30 (1780 views)
Shortcut
I like [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel's Theme, Thranduil's Theme, the dwarves' theme in AUJ, and I like the Sons of Durin's music in DOS and BOFA. Gandalf's theme was cool too. And for ones that return from LOTR, I like Galadriel's theme.

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Oct 2 2015, 5:26pm

Post #4 of 30 (1776 views)
Shortcut
Sons of Durin [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone pointed out to me recently that this theme actually opens AUJ, but it's a more soft and welcoming arrangement. Then of course the dramatic versions appears a lot in the other films.

LSF
Gondor

Oct 2 2015, 5:28pm

Post #5 of 30 (1769 views)
Shortcut
Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a reason I listen to these soundtracks alot, more than I do the lotr ones Wink

All the themes are great, but I'll choose Smaug's as my favorite

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Oct 2 2015, 5:32pm

Post #6 of 30 (1763 views)
Shortcut
My favorites are [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ: Misty Mountains theme
Dos: Kili and Tauriel's theme
BOTFA: Bard's family theme

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 2 2015, 5:37pm

Post #7 of 30 (1757 views)
Shortcut
That's really neat! [In reply to] Can't Post

I did not know that, but now thinking about it makes a lot of sense! Thank you for sharing that!

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 2 2015, 5:40pm

Post #8 of 30 (1754 views)
Shortcut
Misty Mountains and [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know the names for everything, but the theme that plays during the prophecy readings and as Fili & co. approach Erebor - Thorin's theme? Durin's theme?

And in the films when Dain arrives - and the faint tones that play when Bilbo enters Erebor.

Bofur01
Lorien

Oct 2 2015, 5:41pm

Post #9 of 30 (1744 views)
Shortcut
The Woodland Realm theme // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Oct 2 2015, 5:42pm

Post #10 of 30 (1746 views)
Shortcut
The opening scene of DOS, after the prologue, [In reply to] Can't Post

- the one where the orcs are on the ridge - very sinister, sets the tone perfectly and tells us that they've left the safety of the Carrock and are now in deep trouble.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Oct 2 2015, 6:26pm

Post #11 of 30 (1726 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel & Kili's Theme [In reply to] Can't Post

It's all good, but that motif is a freakin' jewel.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Oct 2 2015, 9:10pm

Post #12 of 30 (1651 views)
Shortcut
Probably [In reply to] Can't Post

Laketown for me.

That brass version of it Mithril is incredible!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 2 2015, 9:15pm

Post #13 of 30 (1647 views)
Shortcut
Ironfoot - but it's barely in the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

If you sneeze you'll miss it. You get a little bit of it after the Elves jump over the Dwarves in BOT5A, and both Elves & Dwarves are fighting together. The last song on the soundtrack is the full rendition of Ironfoot, and it's the main reason I bought the BOT5A soundtrack.

I also like "Sons of Durin" and what I call Thorin's theme - not sure what it's actually called, but it plays a lot in DOS, I think when they're on the barge and first see Erebor is probably the most prominent. Naturally I like "Song of the Lonely Mountain," especially when Thorin is singing it!EvilHeart

I know that's a shock to some of you, but there you areWink

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Oct 2 2015, 9:22pm

Post #14 of 30 (1641 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

After The House of Durin theme at the start of 'Sons of Durin', Thorin's theme plays in it's most bold setting.

It's actually features a lot in all three films.

This is the first time it's heard (I think):

https://youtu.be/x5k3X9huWVg?t=1m54s

(This post was edited by SafeUnderHill on Oct 2 2015, 9:23pm)

Dwarewien
Rohan

Oct 2 2015, 10:23pm

Post #15 of 30 (1613 views)
Shortcut
That's Misty Mountains... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Naturally I like "Song of the Lonely Mountain," especially when Thorin is singing it!EvilHeart

it has similar lyrics to the Song of the Lonely Mountain, but it is in fact a separate song.Wink

For myself, I really like I See Fire, since it is in fact Thorin's song, even if it is a little sad (but doesn't make me cry, since the only song that actually makes me cry is Into the West, and that's mostly because of the inspiration behind it).

Some other favorites (in no particular order) are the Song of the Lonely Mountain, Misty Mountains, the Last Goodbye (also sad, but it doesn't make me cry. Because of what happened to certain characters, I thought that it would, but it didn't, but then again, I have yet to see the music video for it, so who knows what it will do to me then), Smaug, the Laketown theme (it sounds like a sea shanty to me, which is fitting, since Laketown is a city on the water), the Thorin/Erebor theme (not sure of the name), the Forest River, and probably a few others. Perhaps I should listen to the soundtracks again to find out what songs I really like, but I have no problem with any of the end credits songs, never did.Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

(This post was edited by Queen of Erebor on Oct 2 2015, 10:31pm)

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Oct 3 2015, 1:40am

Post #16 of 30 (1551 views)
Shortcut
There's so many I can't name them! [In reply to] Can't Post

Off the top of my mind one would have to be the Gandalf Theme which shows up only a little bit, and the Radagast Theme that is only on the soundtrack. Also Misty Mountains and Sons of Durin.

"Obviously the idea of being human is a very human idea."
-Dominic Monaghan

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Oct 3 2015, 3:15am

Post #17 of 30 (1528 views)
Shortcut
How did I forget Laketown? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one of the catchiest themes in all 6 movies.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 3 2015, 9:07am

Post #18 of 30 (1481 views)
Shortcut
For me it would be [In reply to] Can't Post

Song of the Lonely Mountain, and the entire scene that accompanied it. For me, it is the musical element that comes closest to the music of LotR.

On a recent trip abroad, I heard the theme music from FotR playing in the loo (of all places) at Heathrow. It made me feel so nostalgic, and made me realise how very much more memorable and moving I found the music for that trilogy than for the Hobbit.

I'm sure the music for the Hobbit is excellent and some like it, but it is nowhere near as powerful in impact as the music for LotR, IMHO. It simply sounds rather pedestrian, IMHO.

I just don't understand the logic behind so many decisions in the Hobbit … perhaps it's just that audiences have changed (or something). For me this trilogy misfired in a major way on several counts, and the lack of a memorable musical theme is one of its negative aspectsUnimpressed It need not have been like this…

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Oct 3 2015, 12:10pm

Post #19 of 30 (1452 views)
Shortcut
Yes you should listen to the albums [In reply to] Can't Post

Most people who listen to the soundtracks enjoy The Hobbit scores, they're far from 'pedestrian'.

The filmmakers tended to make poorer choices with the music in the film (such as removing many new themes from AUJ, and often playing the music so quietly you can't hear it or cutting music altogether).

(This post was edited by SafeUnderHill on Oct 3 2015, 12:11pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 3 2015, 3:14pm

Post #20 of 30 (1412 views)
Shortcut
That's good [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Most people who listen to the soundtracks enjoy The Hobbit scores.

I'm delighted 'most people' enjoy the Hobbit scores – however, I am quite indifferent to them, and do not feel that listening to them more will make me like them any more. By comparison, I've always been able to listen to the LotR scores accompanying the films at any volume, and to love them – in fact I have never listened to the scores on their own. IMHO.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 3 2015, 4:39pm

Post #21 of 30 (1384 views)
Shortcut
Agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

And IMO for me totally sets the tone for this "fishing-based" town and its connection to water - its a perfect transition bringing us into LaketownHeartHeartHeart

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 3 2015, 7:16pm

Post #22 of 30 (1344 views)
Shortcut
Me too.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not good at identifying the themes by name, even when I recognise the tune, but Laketown stood out for me the first time I heard it, and I often find myself humming it.

I love the one that plays when Thorin leads the charge out of the Mountain too - is that 'Sons of Durin'? And the music that plays in 'Feast of Starlight' and 'Beyond the Forest' (I'm guessing that's probably Tauriel or Kili/Tauriel).

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Oct 3 2015, 7:28pm

Post #23 of 30 (1335 views)
Shortcut
Huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
Most people who listen to the soundtracks enjoy The Hobbit scores.

I'm delighted 'most people' enjoy the Hobbit scores – however, I am quite indifferent to them, and do not feel that listening to them more will make me like them any more. By comparison, I've always been able to listen to the LotR scores accompanying the films at any volume, and to love them – in fact I have never listened to the scores on their own. IMHO.

My point was that the scores are not represented very well in the films, so simply watching the films won't give a great reflection of Shore's work.

When I said 'listen to the soundtracks', I mean listen to the CDs. Are you're saying you've never listened to the album releases? Because if not then that's exactly my point.

(This post was edited by SafeUnderHill on Oct 3 2015, 7:28pm)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Oct 3 2015, 7:43pm

Post #24 of 30 (1321 views)
Shortcut
For example [In reply to] Can't Post

If you haven't heard this piece (it's not heard during the films), Beyond the Forest, I'd recommend you do. It's so beautiful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4MaU8NDmlE

(apologies the youtube quality is truly awful, I'd recommend trying on spotify or elsewhere)

I'm not saying you have to like the scores, merely that if you have only seen the scores as heard in the film then you're missing out!

(This post was edited by SafeUnderHill on Oct 3 2015, 7:47pm)

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Oct 3 2015, 7:53pm

Post #25 of 30 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Dosen't it [In reply to] Can't Post

play during the end credits?

(This post was edited by Smaug the iron on Oct 3 2015, 7:53pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.