Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Why have there been no Hobbit video games?

Goldeneye
Lorien

Oct 2 2015, 2:50pm

Post #1 of 14 (3641 views)
Shortcut
Why have there been no Hobbit video games? Can't Post

Back when LOTR came out, I had a blast playing The Two Towers and Return of the King for Xbox. They were amazingly well designed action/adventure games, very true to the films, and had a ton of support from Peter Jackson and Co. Most of the cast even recorded new dialogue for the games.

So why has there been no attempt to make any legitimate Hobbit games since AUJ? I'm not counting the cutesy Lego version. I feel like they flushed a golden opportunity, especially since they decided to expand the Hobbit into a trilogy and make it more action-packed. I'm not even kidding, when I saw BOFA in theaters there were numerous scenes where I said to myself "this would make a cool level on a video game!"

With its very distinct changes in locations & characters for each chapter, I think The Hobbit could make an excellent video game. I'd love to see a cross between the hack-n-slash gameplay from the LOTR games, and the more free-roaming RPG style akin to Skyrim/Oblivion. We all know that PJ loves and embraces gaming...in addition to the LOTR games he also oversaw King Kong. And let's not forget that he was attached to the doomed Halo film adaptation for a few years. So what's the deal then? After all the money dumped into these Hobbit films, why has there been no serious attempt to make even one good video game?

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Oct 2 2015, 2:54pm

Post #2 of 14 (3614 views)
Shortcut
Because- [In reply to] Can't Post

-the movies are already like video games in several places.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Oct 2 2015, 3:04pm

Post #3 of 14 (3601 views)
Shortcut
Ha, true [In reply to] Can't Post

That is true, except it's not fun just watching a video game, is it? If they're going to make Legolas an invincible one-elf-army, well I darn well better be able to control him myself lol.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Oct 2 2015, 4:20pm

Post #4 of 14 (3549 views)
Shortcut
I don't know. [In reply to] Can't Post

The worst part is that they didn't even finish the Lego Hobbit game. It just ends at the end of DoS. Then they gave up on even making DLC to finish up the story.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Oct 2 2015, 4:39pm

Post #5 of 14 (3542 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow that sucks, I haven't played the Lego Hobbit so I had no idea that was the case. They really dropped the ball!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 3 2015, 10:08am

Post #6 of 14 (3418 views)
Shortcut
Definitely play Lego Lord of the Rings... [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the most underrated gaming masterpieces ever, and one of the few games I've replayed over and over for fun. It's not at all what you'd expect from trailers or even Let's Plays (which tend to only show the story mode). The game is actually a big open world and the main story is about 5% of the full experience. Cannot recommend it more, especially to fans of the film.

Lego The Hobbit, though feels more rushed by comparison, less love and they didn't even finish the story Frown It's still fun, though. Just running around as Thranduil on a warg can be entertaining, Laugh

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Oct 3 2015, 10:11am)

Goldeneye
Lorien

Oct 3 2015, 5:33pm

Post #7 of 14 (3345 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the tip, I have heard others say the same thing about the LOTR Lego game and I will check it out. I really wish they would make a proper open-world Middle-earth RPG game (not with Lego characters), like the Elder Scrolls games. I'm salivating at the thought lol.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 3 2015, 6:59pm

Post #8 of 14 (3334 views)
Shortcut
Elder Scrolls... [In reply to] Can't Post

https://youtu.be/X7Pkt9irCwc Wink

Imladris18
Lorien

Oct 5 2015, 5:22pm

Post #9 of 14 (3099 views)
Shortcut
I've heard that LEGO lost the Hobbit license after 2 years [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the added third movie messed up their timeline and they were never able to get the BotFA content out in time.

Imladris18
Lorien

Oct 5 2015, 5:29pm

Post #10 of 14 (3095 views)
Shortcut
I, too, am disappointed there have been no games whatsoever bar the unfinished LEGO game. [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems the licensing for the Hobbit has been very fishy and lacking eg. the action figures fell off after AUJ, there have been no games, etc.

There's Shadow of Mordor that was a huge success and great game, but that pulls almost nothing from the Hobbit, mostly LotR (with a hefty amount of made-up lore). I'd love to see a Dragon Age/Elder Scrolls/Adult LEGO LotR-style game that really pulls from ALL source material. Hopefully one day.

(This post was edited by Imladris18 on Oct 5 2015, 5:30pm)

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2015, 6:04am

Post #11 of 14 (3051 views)
Shortcut
Technically, there have been others [In reply to] Can't Post

There were a couple mobile/browser games released under The Hobbit name and timed to coincide with the movies. The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle-earth was probably the highest profile. It comes up in a number of Hobbit-related google searches, but I don't play games like that so I don't know how well it was really received.

The lack of a major console tie-in is a little stranger, but I wonder if that might be more due to shifts in the video game industry (and a recognition that tie-ins usually suck, even though the LOTR games were awesome, as mentioned).

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Imladris18
Lorien

Oct 6 2015, 1:31pm

Post #12 of 14 (3021 views)
Shortcut
Yes, there is that mobile game. [In reply to] Can't Post

So there is *some* sort of tie-in other than the LEGO game, but that's one of those free-to-play mobile games with a bunch of in-game purchases/microtransations that is basically a re-skinned version of a thousand other mobile games of the same type.

That's a good point regarding movie tie-ins in the game industry. Part of the frustration for me, however, is there is so much potential to make a really great, AAA game with all the material now available that goes way beyond what a run-of-the-mill movie tie-in game would be. Shadow of Mordor is an excellent example of how it can be done right (lore discrepancies aside), and that was a game that solely took place in Mordor during one time period.

ninja_hepek

Oct 8 2015, 9:07am

Post #13 of 14 (2989 views)
Shortcut
What about an oldie? [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a game back in '03 or '04, I believe. It was Hobbit and I remember playing it as a youngster and having a blast. I remember spiders and, what's more important, I remember Trolls and sneaking around them. It was a great game, one I really loved playing and I enjoyed. I played it with a friend of mine, too bad I can't find any copies available on the internet, I'd buy 'em in a second!

Also, +1 for the Lego LOTR. I have it on steam, not only is it relatively cheap but it's also great fun! I have played it to 100% and I really enjoyed. I have 44 hours played as opposed to LEGO Hobbit with 35 hours. My only regret is that we won't get to see third move in a Lego form. Really, really sad.

(This post was edited by ninja_hepek on Oct 8 2015, 9:10am)

Goldeneye
Lorien

Oct 13 2015, 5:53pm

Post #14 of 14 (2774 views)
Shortcut
That game [In reply to] Can't Post

That game was just called The Hobbit. It wasn't related to the Peter Jackson films, since at the time New Line did not own the rights as I recall. You may remember there being a Fellowship of the Ring game as well, which wasn't related to the films.

What I would love to see is an official Hobbit game based on the films...and not a LEGO interpretation!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.