Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BOFTA EE Promo (Warning: It's not what you think)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

lionoferebor
Rohan

Sep 30 2015, 1:16pm

Post #1 of 36 (3471 views)
Shortcut
BOFTA EE Promo (Warning: It's not what you think) Can't Post

BOFA EE hits theaters in two weeks, and - IMO - the promotion of the theaterical release has been lacking.

Now, I do not expect anything too extravagant, after all BOFA was only in theaters less than a year ago and I'm sure WB is probably more focused on promoting more fresh, new movies rather than the extended edition of a previous film. Still it would seem to me that - at least in terms of revenue - the studio would push this event a tad bit more to ensure ticket sales.

Is WB confident tickets will sell regardless of their efforts? Is it possible the theatrical release was PJ's idea and WB simply did the leg work to get it in theaters and is not too concerned about ticket sales? I know the latter seems unlikely, but despite the unlikeliness does not mean it should not be considered. Plus, anything is possible. Or is there another speculation why the promotion surrounding the theatrical release of BOTFA EE has been lacking?

(This post was edited by lionoferebor on Sep 30 2015, 1:18pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Sep 30 2015, 1:23pm

Post #2 of 36 (3371 views)
Shortcut
Warner are useless [In reply to] Can't Post

We had a trailer for the DoS: EE by this time last year. Even if you discard the limited theatrical release, you would have thought that with the digital download coming a week later we'd have received something similar for the BOTFA: EE by now.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 30 2015, 1:29pm

Post #3 of 36 (3365 views)
Shortcut
Promotional Trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

We know that there will be a promotional trailer of some type for TH:BotFA-EE if only because Warner Home Video will want to include it on DVD/Blu-ray releases prior to the movie's home-video debut. And they will want to produce t.v. spots for the film.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

AshNazg
Gondor

Sep 30 2015, 1:48pm

Post #4 of 36 (3340 views)
Shortcut
There are two trailers. Rated 12 by the BBFC [In reply to] Can't Post

One is 1m44s the other is 2m37s

They'll be released soon.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 30 2015, 2:11pm

Post #5 of 36 (3291 views)
Shortcut
That makes sense. [In reply to] Can't Post

I expected as much. Thanx.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 30 2015, 3:10pm

Post #6 of 36 (3200 views)
Shortcut
Seems like a local urban area event [In reply to] Can't Post

E.g., it seems like it's more up to Fathom to promote this, as opposed to WB - so, OK, I just did a fast check via Fandango, and there's roughly 10 theaters around that I suppose I could get to - which sounds like a lot, until you look at a map...these are 2, 3 hour drives one way in a heavily urban area. Some aren't even in the same state. Then it's a week night. None of them are what I would call convenient, and most would be road trips, for me. Which I might have done for a marathon, but for me, not for a single film - for me.

Having read comments on this board from folks indicating they live in areas with maybe one, or two major theaters - or less - I'm thinking it's only the major cities that can support multiple theaters in the U.S. that are showing this. So there's no point to a big PR campaign, when only a tiny percentage of U.S. fans will be attending this. It's not even like the fan event for DOS, where around the world folks could get on a computer if they couldn't be in New York or LA or wherever.

IMO releasing a DVD/BR/download trailer would be really confusing, if you did it right now - you would have to word it very carefully. On the other hand, you have some small showings and get some "viral buzz" going because you know the audiences who DO go to the Fathom event are going to talk online, and then you release a full trailer for the EE - it's kind of elegant, really. A little PR, but not too much. Then more. Tongue

I'd be willing to bet that in the fan community, someone will talk about some scene from the Fathom event and that comment will have a lot more people thinking "I have GOT to see that" and if they weren't planning to download before, suddenly they change their minds. And that's what companies want, to eventually get rid of disks altogether and stream everything. It's elegant and evil, like waving a box of chocolates at someone dieting.Evil

So I think we will get a nice, lush EE trailer. Just wait. IMO no way is WB going to give up a last great opportunity to scoop up some dollars and improve the end-of-year balance sheet.Cool

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 30 2015, 3:27pm

Post #7 of 36 (3168 views)
Shortcut
Theatrical and Home-video Releases [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...it seems like it's more up to Fathom to promote this, as opposed to WB

Yes; and the discussion is primarily about the theatrical screenings. However, Warner Bros. is still going to want to promote the upcoming digital, DVD and Blu-ray releases. These are probably the trailers that were referenced by AshNazg. At least this is my guess.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 30 2015, 3:29pm)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 30 2015, 4:02pm

Post #8 of 36 (3122 views)
Shortcut
clip [In reply to] Can't Post

The clip was also coming "soon," but that was back in August.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 30 2015, 4:05pm

Post #9 of 36 (3117 views)
Shortcut
The odd thing is.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That the BBFC are still rating features for the Appendices - another six have gone up this week that I haven't seen anyone mention here including a different tribute to Andrew Lesnie - but they still haven't rated the extended version of the film itself.

Here's the page with the latest ratings: http://www.bbfc.co.uk/...Five%2BArmies?page=1

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 30 2015, 4:28pm

Post #10 of 36 (3098 views)
Shortcut
ads and stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the short version of the trailer play before I saw Black Mass a couple weeks ago. It was shown when all the advertisements play before the trailers start, and the Hobbit facebook page just put up a big "1 WEEK" ad for the AUJ EE screening.

I guess Warner Bros (and Fathom Events) think that's enough, and maybe it is. But it still feels underwhelming. It's especially strange because we got more stuff last year (and the year before), and that was just for the home video releases. You'd think we'd get a little more with a theatrical release, not less... There's still time for trailers and a clip, but they're definitely taking their time this year.

Cirashala
Valinor

Sep 30 2015, 4:56pm

Post #11 of 36 (3041 views)
Shortcut
Well? [In reply to] Can't Post

Was there anything new in the trailer?

nusilver
Rohan

Sep 30 2015, 5:53pm

Post #12 of 36 (2968 views)
Shortcut
these are.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I saw the short version of the trailer play before I saw Black Mass a couple weeks ago. It was shown when all the advertisements play before the trailers start, and the Hobbit facebook page just put up a big "1 WEEK" ad for the AUJ EE screening.

I guess Warner Bros (and Fathom Events) think that's enough, and maybe it is. But it still feels underwhelming. It's especially strange because we got more stuff last year (and the year before), and that was just for the home video releases. You'd think we'd get a little more with a theatrical release, not less... There's still time for trailers and a clip, but they're definitely taking their time this year.

Let's try to all remember these are one night only theatrical events. They're not going to rake in a ton of money from these. They're promoting these just as well as they're promoting tonight's screening of The Iron Giant (which I sadly won't be able to attend.) So the amount of promotion they're giving the event is pretty appropriate. It's a shame PJ is so quiet on his Facebook page these days, but I'd say he's earned that.

LSF
Gondor

Sep 30 2015, 6:13pm

Post #13 of 36 (2932 views)
Shortcut
it's still kinda strange [In reply to] Can't Post

The Iron Giant screening event? Wow I know I'm not old but I haven't even thought about that movie in years Tongue

I agree with your point, but The Hobbit is much more fresh in people's minds, and this is a "new" version of the movie to see. I remember seeing more promotion for the special event of Star Wars Phantom Menace 3D a few years ago. And I suppose it's a problem that they did spoil us for the last two EEs, for just the disc releases.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Sep 30 2015, 6:23pm

Post #14 of 36 (2920 views)
Shortcut
Not bothered about promotions. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be happy enough for the option to see this at the cinema. For an international production of a British story produced in New Zealand, with a worldwide audience, it would have been easy enough to make copies available for cinemas outside the U.S. My local independent would probably be interested - a one or two night special showing is the kind of thing they do quite often. The advantage of digital projection is that the tech is now there for the physical aspect of film distribution to be made simple and cheap. If the film's worth a theatrical release, then give cinemas outside the US the option of showing it.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

AshNazg
Gondor

Sep 30 2015, 6:52pm

Post #15 of 36 (2881 views)
Shortcut
I think they waited way too long for this EE release... [In reply to] Can't Post

The long wait worked for all the other movies, because the hype was still there, even RotK, after all the awards, people were excited for the EE so we were willing to wait for October/November time.

But with BoFA I think they should have broken tradition and released this in the Summer, when people were at least a little interested. At this point The Hobbit feels like it's been and gone and most people have moved on now. Even as a fan, I've kinda lost interest in seeing this EE - I'll catch it at some point, but I'm not excited. Even if it fixes all of the problems that the movie had I don't think it'll sell particularly well, it just feels too late.

Also, releasing it in cinemas, where all the extra footage can leak online, a month before the Blu-ray release is a big mistake, people won't even buy it through curiosity. Crazy

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Sep 30 2015, 6:54pm)

LSF
Gondor

Sep 30 2015, 7:02pm

Post #16 of 36 (2856 views)
Shortcut
Hm... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Theater release is only a week before the digital release, so even without theater, the digital has three weeks to be leaked before the discs. Also, I watch stuff in as much HD as I can, so leaked theater footage isn't something I go for. But for those who aren't so picky about visual quality, that could be a thing.

The timing of it hasn't dampened my excitement any. I can't judge the excitement overall, but I think fans who want the EE will buy it now.

What would you say to if they had done this theater release in the summer, then the digital/disc release in October?

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Sep 30 2015, 7:28pm

Post #17 of 36 (2826 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps they've only just finished it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Presumably WETA etc. have other projects on the go, and limited staff available to finish off the relatively low priority EE of the film, so if they are making an effort to really produce the best edit possible, with extended footage and new CGI, with a smaller team, or with having to fit the work round other commitments, it could easily take up to now to have finished it. So this might be the earliest possible release.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 30 2015, 7:30pm

Post #18 of 36 (2818 views)
Shortcut
same old thing [In reply to] Can't Post

It was just the same Fathom Event trailer we got in August.

LSF
Gondor

Sep 30 2015, 7:33pm

Post #19 of 36 (2808 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

They would've had to have finished it at least a couple months ago to submit it for rating, and to start the production of the discs. But yeah, I would rather they take the time they need to do it "right." And since people have an expectation for the EEs to be released in November, since the last five were, they shouldn't have to feel a pressure to release it earlier.

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 30 2015, 9:04pm

Post #20 of 36 (2712 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

But with BoFA I think they should have broken tradition and released this in the Summer, when people were at least a little interested. At this point The Hobbit feels like it's been and gone and most people have moved on now.

On the other hand, Google anything like BOFA extended edition and all the news and media sites immediately pop up, in wandering around the 'net the fan community is still drawing and painting and writing fan fic, so I think the interest is high - it's not over yet, and won't be for a while. There's pages of links - unfortunately not one wee spoiler image thoEvil. So IMO if there wasn't interest, there wouldn't be that level of secrecy.

Also, releasing it in cinemas, where all the extra footage can leak online, a month before the Blu-ray release is a big mistake, people won't even buy it through curiosity. Crazy

Hmm - IMO yes and no, because the pirated stuff is so awful, and besides it's not just the film - fans want the Appendices too.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 30 2015, 9:43pm

Post #21 of 36 (2660 views)
Shortcut
I'm not convinced they have finished it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The BBFC have just rated a second tribute to Andrew Lesnie for the EE today which seems to be longer than the one they rated weeks ago - and they still haven't rated the extended film itself.

LSF
Gondor

Sep 30 2015, 9:55pm

Post #22 of 36 (2645 views)
Shortcut
It has to be finished [In reply to] Can't Post

The MPAA rated it R at least a month ago, meaning the film itself has to be finished. Just because it's taking the BBFC site a long time to rate things (they started rating the Appendices stuff a month ago) doesn't mean its not done.

And sometimes there's just a long space between the completion of a film and its release.

(This post was edited by LSF on Sep 30 2015, 9:56pm)

nusilver
Rohan

Oct 1 2015, 5:13am

Post #23 of 36 (2431 views)
Shortcut
no... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The BBFC have just rated a second tribute to Andrew Lesnie for the EE today which seems to be longer than the one they rated weeks ago - and they still haven't rated the extended film itself.

It's still listed as 5:30, which is what it was before.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 1 2015, 7:20am

Post #24 of 36 (2360 views)
Shortcut
No, look..... [In reply to] Can't Post

This was the first one they rated, at 4 mins 27 seconds, on 19 August:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/...nie-remembered-video

...and this is the newer rating, at 5 mins 30 seconds, rated on 28 September:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/...-journeys-end-andrew

It's not actually a second tribute, I was wrong about that, but it is a bit longer and has the word (Revised) attached, which does suggest to me that they are still working on the extras at least.

(This post was edited by dormouse on Oct 1 2015, 7:20am)

lionoferebor
Rohan

Oct 1 2015, 11:05am

Post #25 of 36 (2249 views)
Shortcut
Rating pending [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish there was a "Reply All" option.

Just curious, aside from the BBFC does anyone know of any other rating agency that has not yet rated the EE itself?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.