The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Personal Anniversary Today

AshNazg
Gondor

Sep 29 2015, 8:39pm

Post #1 of 21 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Personal Anniversary Today Can't Post

Three years today I signed up to TORn and joined this great community. Three years and 1002 posts later, I've just entered Gondor and still posting strong. Here's to many more.

When did you first join TORn and how did you find out about it? I was actually a member of kongisking.net and thehobbitblog.com before I joined TORn, anyone familiar with those sites? Smile

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Sep 29 2015, 8:41pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Sep 29 2015, 8:46pm

Post #2 of 21 (1097 views)
Shortcut
I think I joined in early 2002 [In reply to] Can't Post

but I can't remember exactly, and I don't know if it's possible to find out, as the board set-up has changed. I've met some great people through the boards, and shared some wonderful experiences.

eowyn22
The Shire

Sep 29 2015, 9:23pm

Post #3 of 21 (1091 views)
Shortcut
LOL I just joined... [In reply to] Can't Post

I recently joined TORn, and I am loving every second of it! That is really cool that you have been on here for 3 years. I found out about this site while looking for sites about the Hobbit/ LOTR. I just decided to join this forum so I could talk to other people who have the same passion for Tolkien as I have. Congrats on 3 yrs! Wink

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 29 2015, 9:37pm

Post #4 of 21 (1084 views)
Shortcut
Congrats on making it to "Gondor" [In reply to] Can't Post

I came across TORn (don't remember exactly how Crazy) lurking around the net about one & one-half years ago.

Does that make me a "newbie" or a "big mouth"? Shocked Shocked

Now, there are many Tolkien sites on the net, but NONE remotely compare to the quality, ease of use, knowledgeable registrants, and superb administration of THIS HERE SITE!

THANK YOU MODS.... Smile

photo torn.png

Edited to say "Welcome eowyn22" a 'real newbie'. Have fun!! Sly

”. . . computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.”
- Popular Mechanics, 1949

(This post was edited by Bracegirdle on Sep 29 2015, 9:39pm)

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Sep 29 2015, 10:56pm

Post #5 of 21 (1071 views)
Shortcut
Your user profile will tell you when you joined the discussion board [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! Three years! Congratulations!

If you click on the link from your username, your public profile will show when you joined the message board. F'rinstance, CamdenMcAndrews says I joined on July 9, 2015, just a couple of months ago.

Silliness as an Art Form: In fact, I've been a fan of theonering.net for years, often using the other resources on the site and watching videos on YouTube. I think I first became aware of the web site from a web search, but it might have been from finding Happy Hobbit videos along the way. But it wasn't until Peter Jackson happened to mention the fan boards on one of the production videos that it occurred to me to look around for Tolkien discussion boards on the net. (I went on in another thread about how incredibly incongruous it is for me, of all people, not to think to look for Tolkien BBS sites. I don't recall which thread, but if you stumble across it, you might be amused.)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Sep 29 2015, 11:14pm

Post #6 of 21 (1071 views)
Shortcut
Only this "new" version [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been part of TORn since the January after Fellowship

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

squire
Half-elven

Sep 29 2015, 11:20pm

Post #7 of 21 (1069 views)
Shortcut
Sometime in the fall of 2003, I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had found TORn in preceding years, when I was trying to find out how good this new movie project for LotR was likely to be. But I didn't get to the message boards until well into the release cycle for the films. If I remember, the Reading Room was discussing The Hobbit, and I lurked for a few weeks before daring to speak up.

I actually volunteered to lead a discussion the following summer, for The Silmarillion discussion. It was a lot of fun.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 29 2015, 11:58pm

Post #8 of 21 (1059 views)
Shortcut
January 2003 [In reply to] Can't Post

I stood in line for 5 hours one afternoon, waiting to get Viggo Mortensen's autograph, This was totally out of character for me, and I still don't understand what made me do it. In my bewilderment at the event, I went on line to see if it was in any way newsworthy, and encountered a report by CAHobbit on TORn. I also found here a number of other intriguing articles, and one thing led to another.

I discovered the Reading Room in February, I think. They were in a LotR read-through, having gotten to the Bridge of Khazad-Dum. I was thoroughly hooked at that point, and have never looked back.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 30 2015, 4:26am

Post #9 of 21 (1046 views)
Shortcut
November 2001 [In reply to] Can't Post

Just before FotR. But I had been following the front page for several months before that and sending occasional spy reports, having no idea there was a forum. One of my posts triggered a discussion on the boards, and it was announced on the front page, and I followed the link and jumped into the discussion without ever introducing myself. I really had appalling manners, but it was due to ignorance, not malice.

Happy TORniversary!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Sep 30 2015, 4:26am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 30 2015, 4:28am

Post #10 of 21 (1035 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Eowyn22! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is amazing community, and I'm so glad you found your way here.

GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Sep 30 2015, 4:38am

Post #11 of 21 (1039 views)
Shortcut
Yes, there's a reason the website is called "newboards" :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

They opened in 2007. But the original boards go back to I think 1999 (before my time, so I'm not sure.) Here's what they looked like: http://archives.theonering.net/rumour_mill/rpg/viewer/sitefeedback/45CE02F9000037CE.html

GNU Terry Pratchett

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 30 2015, 6:09am

Post #12 of 21 (1028 views)
Shortcut
I joined the boards in April 2000. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I found the site in June or July of 1999 and had been lurking on the boards since Oct '99.

I remember Kongisking.net - it was founded as an offshoot of TORN, actually. I never really joined over there (I didn't have much to say about King Kong), but I did help with the beta-testing of their message boards before they went live.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Starling
Half-elven

Sep 30 2015, 6:23am

Post #13 of 21 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Seven years [In reply to] Can't Post

And they haven't banned me yet!*
I would have joined sooner, but the interwebs were not so easy to come by back in the day in Godzone.

Congratulations on your TORniversary, AshNazg. Cool

*I live in hope.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 1 2015, 9:11am

Post #14 of 21 (954 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

And Congratulations on making it to Gondor! *high five*

Isn't this the best place EVER!?! :D

I found TORn shortly after I had joined the "official" LotR website December 25, 2001. One of the posts there led me to a link on TORn, and I just stayed. I joined TORn about January 8, 2002. LotR & TORn were my first time joining online communities... so I was pretty intimidated :) But being with TORn has given my the best times of my life inspiring travel, writing, sketching, costume-making, and so much more... including finding incredible friends!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 1 2015, 9:11am)

shadowdog
Rohan

Oct 1 2015, 6:28pm

Post #15 of 21 (912 views)
Shortcut
Good Lord. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure. I first joined the Peter Jackson chat room that was attached to TORn years ago and never really went to TORn itself much until the chat room was shut down. So about 10 years - I think.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 1 2015, 6:39pm

Post #16 of 21 (910 views)
Shortcut
December 2001 [In reply to] Can't Post

Just seen FOTR and was googling to see who would play Eowyn.

"Mister Frodo, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good frying pan at your side. I’ve been from one side of this garden to the other, I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Providence controlling everything. There's no Music of the Ainur that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

Ettelewen
Rohan

Oct 1 2015, 11:01pm

Post #17 of 21 (884 views)
Shortcut
About the time The Two Towers was released [In reply to] Can't Post

if I recall correctly. Late 2002 possibly?

I lurk more than post, obviously. Whether actively part of a conversation or not, TORN is a great support group! Cool

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 2 2015, 11:46am

Post #18 of 21 (866 views)
Shortcut
Belated Happy Anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

And many more to come Smile

I found TORn by googling. Lurked for ages, actually joined in June 2009 according to my profile. I remember the other two sites but didn't join them.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2015, 5:21am

Post #19 of 21 (783 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

I got excited when I found I was sneaking up on the "Gondor" rank recently myself. I'm also nearing the sixth anniversary of when I joined TORn, but my activity here has always come in spurts. I knew of TORn as a Tolkien news site first but my forum activity had been concentrated elsewhere for a while. I think TORn was the third Tolkien forum I joined, and it was for a while in early 2010 the one I was most active on. Nowadays I read a lot more than I post but I still enjoy posting when I do.

NB I never posted on thehobbitblog.com but I am aware of what it was and it always seemed to me rather unfair that they did away with the forum so unceremoniously.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 6 2015, 5:25pm

Post #20 of 21 (770 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary! I'm on five years today! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Oct 9 2015, 8:02pm

Post #21 of 21 (743 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

I joined up in March 2004, though I've been missing for a while lately. I still have the link saved to my first post HERE.

I remember kingiskong.net and thehobbitblog.com, though I never joined up with either. I know a lot of our regulars made their way over there throughout the years, though.

Glad you finally joined us. And a very belated Happy TORniversary!

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.