The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
hobbit dvd music

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Sep 29 2015, 4:20pm

Post #1 of 9 (1842 views)
Shortcut
hobbit dvd music Can't Post

is there enywere available the music that is heard on the dvd documentaries?

Like for example alternate and more quiet and simple versions of laketown, or erebor theme...

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Sep 30 2015, 8:04pm

Post #2 of 9 (1542 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
is there enywere available the music that is heard on the dvd documentaries?

Like for example alternate and more quiet and simple versions of laketown, or erebor theme...

If you mean those lovely folk/alternate renditions of Shore's themes (IIRC there's Laketown, Thorin, Mirkwood and The WoodRealm), which I believe were done by some members of Plan 9, then no I don't think they've had official releases. However since most of them feature in the EE credits, I imagine avid fans would be able to cleanly extract the audio of those pieces.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 1 2015, 4:23pm

Post #3 of 9 (1427 views)
Shortcut
They're *almost* on my website [In reply to] Can't Post

I've already ripped them off my DVDs and am in the process of putting them up on my site (link in footer).

Are you sure they were done by Plan 9? They do sound very folksy, like something Plan 9 would do, but for some reason I thought they were done by Stephen Gallagher.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Now updated with exclusive content from The Battle Of The Five Armies soundtrack.

LSF
Gondor

Oct 1 2015, 4:27pm

Post #4 of 9 (1427 views)
Shortcut
Misty Mountains Cold [In reply to] Can't Post

What I want to hear is the 8 different versions of Misty Mountains Cold that Plan 9 submitted as demos for how the tune and way the song would be done. I love the one they chose for the film, but from the snippets of a couple others they showed in Appendices, I want to hear the other versions.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Oct 1 2015, 7:35pm

Post #5 of 9 (1371 views)
Shortcut
I think you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

I presumed he was part of Plan 9, since seemed to have worked on some of the diegetic music in AUJ.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 2 2015, 2:43am

Post #6 of 9 (1317 views)
Shortcut
Yeah me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Some versions do sound really Dwarvish and have that haunting tone to them. I doubt we'll ever get to hear them though. When I interviewed Plan 9 about their work on LOTR, David D. mentioned having several demos that they submitted but never got used, and hence were never released.

I've also heard through my sources that the Complete Recordings for the Hobbit films are looking very unlikely (this was a few months back), and if we don't get those, we probably won't even be hearing music that was used in the films but never released on disc.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Now updated with exclusive content from The Battle Of The Five Armies soundtrack.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 2 2015, 3:12am

Post #7 of 9 (1314 views)
Shortcut
Plan 9 [In reply to] Can't Post

The Plan 9 members are Steve Roche, Janet Roddick, and David Donaldson (who is a really cool guy, by the way). They frequently collaborate with David Long.

Here's their official website: Link

Here's the interview I did with them: The Plan 9 Interview

I think the Appendices end credits do credit Stephen Gallagher as the composer of the folksy music, but I'll have to pop those DVDs in to confirm.

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 2 2015, 3:20am

Post #8 of 9 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Ahem. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ahem:

https://twitter.com/DougAdamsMusic/status/638357319705849856

Could just be the book, but notice the plural 'Releases"

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 2 2015, 3:28am

Post #9 of 9 (1302 views)
Shortcut
I've been trying to read between the lines too [In reply to] Can't Post

But for me it doesn't get any more definitive than candid information from an inside source :)

Anyway, I hope both me and my source are proven wrong and we do get these releases. More Middle-earth music is always welcome, and in fact, Middle-earth will feel just a little incomplete (for me anyway) with all of this unheard music.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.