The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Two weeks to go folks!

grimbeorn15
Rivendell

Sep 29 2015, 2:10pm

Post #1 of 15 (2439 views)
Shortcut
Two weeks to go folks! Can't Post

If BOTFA extended edition is showing in your local theater, what scene are you most anticipating? I'll be happy with anything to do with Beorn (my profile name kind of gives it away). Dol Guldor would be awesome, but even a fleeting shot of something at this point would be great.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 29 2015, 4:01pm

Post #2 of 15 (2282 views)
Shortcut
Er.... that'll be six weeks for some of us! [In reply to] Can't Post

Much as I'm looking forward to seeing it, America's a bit far..... Wink

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 29 2015, 4:13pm

Post #3 of 15 (2265 views)
Shortcut
Excited and nervous [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel like I'm going in blind this time. The last two times I was able to spoil myself before I saw it because of the early digital release (the one good thing about that). I watched a couple of the scenes on youtube, and read people's lists of what was included. It helped me get my disappointment out of the way, instead of expecting to see something like the missing Thranduil scene and then having my hopes shattered in the middle of the movie. I ended up loving both extended cuts, but I also didn't have my first experience with them tainted by unfulfilled expectations.

I'm trying not to set up too many expectations for myself this time, which will be hard to do after all the speculation and list making/reading I've done over the last few months. It will be nice to have a few surprises though. I just hope there aren't too many bad ones.

LSF
Gondor

Sep 29 2015, 4:24pm

Post #4 of 15 (2250 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the problem with knowing about scenes that were filmed and cut out of the TE from various interviews with actors and other people involved. We know they exist and sound great, but if they're not in, we'll be disappointed. So it'll be a hard thing to balance expectation and possible disappointment.

Though I'm glad they didn't have a gag order about possible scenes that night it might not be in, since just knowing about then can lead to good discussions Tongue

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 29 2015, 4:36pm

Post #5 of 15 (2239 views)
Shortcut
Definitely the Battle Rams! [In reply to] Can't Post

From what little I've seen (and at this point I've given up hope of any kind of trailerMad) it looks like they've completely redone Dain's entrance, and the brief Dwarves v. Elves scene looks AWESOME! I'm crossing my fingers that the rest of the Company gets their "Hero moments," but I don't want to "expect" them, in order to avoid disappointment. Pretty sure we're going to get the Funeral scene, but I'm not really looking forward to that.Unsure

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 29 2015, 4:50pm

Post #6 of 15 (2226 views)
Shortcut
I could go, I suppose *ducks* [In reply to] Can't Post

But I have opted not to for various reasons - not that as far as I can tell, for me, it would be that convenient anywayUnsure - involving a long drive and so on. And IMO with the global love for these films *sigh* it's truly unfortunateFrown IMO that there are not key showings around the world, tho maybe the business logistics of so many countries prevented that from happening.

Or maybe it is some LOL nefarious and inexplicable marketing scheme of sortsCrazyCrazyCrazy that none of us could possibly understand - that the U.S, was chosen as a "free viral publicity news point" because the stereotype is that folks from the States are boisterous, chatty, friendlyCool w. lots of technology, and the second the film is over (and probably during it) there will be Tweets and posts and such streaming across the 'net. Free PR for an EE that hasn't had a single high res leaked still, yet! No interviews with PJ & Philippa, nothing.Shocked

(I wonder, will the EE be tweaked some more based on this event, like some sort of test?Unsure)

Well, anyway, I guess it's more a case of HOPING for what I want to see the most? Hmmm - I guess the chariot sceneHeart, because it looks cool and by default it looks like there will be more dwarf interaction because of the scene. And it seems that will actually be in the EE.

The wish listTongue of unknowns for me includes: More Beorn, more dwarf interaction, seeing the dwarves actually fight in battle including Thorin, and if I am really lucky they will extend Thranduil's fighting in Dale scenes as he is a thing of beauty IMO as is Thorin when fighting - and Fili as well.

And *cough* an overall edit with a more BALANCED approach re screen time for characters.AngelicEvil

LSF
Gondor

Sep 29 2015, 5:03pm

Post #7 of 15 (2203 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering the release of the digital download version is a week after this theatrical event... I don't know if your idea of using this as a sort of test screening and then tweaking it more is a plan. Yeah, they could do it in a week, but the question is have the DVD/bluray discs already been made. And everything has already been officially rated, so adding more footage now would mean having to resubmit it for rating.

And yes, definitely more of a character screentime balance. I think that's why it feels like there's too much alfrid and legolas. If they don't add anything more than a few seconds to them, the balance will feel better and won't be as big a complaint.

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 29 2015, 5:22pm

Post #8 of 15 (2194 views)
Shortcut
oooh - agree - battle rams! [In reply to] Can't Post

From what little I've seen (and at this point I've given up hope of any kind of trailerMad) it looks like they've completely redone Dain's entrance, and the brief Dwarves v. Elves scene looks AWESOME! I'm crossing my fingers that the rest of the Company gets their "Hero moments," but I don't want to "expect" them, in order to avoid disappointment. Pretty sure we're going to get the Funeral scene, but I'm not really looking forward to that.Unsure

In the trailer this scene for me - with the camera angles and such - looked like a terrifying charge and for me was just plain
exhilarating - dwarves at their most deadly, and definitely a powerful people that can build something as grand as Erebor and take on elves (LOL as tho Thorin and Dwalin and Balin and Fili and Kili etc. hadn't already overturned the stereotypes of dwarves, foreverHeart)

IMO an amazing use of animals and amazing rams - and a nice nod back IMO to the AUJ scene where we see the exiled dwarves
using horned animals, but only at a distance.

Re:
Pretty sure we're going to get the Funeral scene, but I'm not really looking forward to that.Unsure

Yeah. Evidently "probably" the "most anticipated" scene in the EE if one is generalizingUnimpressed; for me it's nothing to look forward to, but something to uncomfortably and depressingly watch "because I should" and then head for a nice long swim in the River, preferably with drinks, and hang out with the Durins in floaty chairs and discuss Thorin's coronation. After all, the crown is a problem as we think it restricts his hair too much, even with the wind machine turned up all the way.WinkEvilLaugh

eowyn22
The Shire

Sep 29 2015, 6:48pm

Post #9 of 15 (2134 views)
Shortcut
The Elves are my favorites... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say, I am most looking forward to anything with more of the Mirkwood elves. I know some people hate that Legolas is in these movies, but I have to say I really like that he is in them because he is a great connection to the Lord of the Rings movies. And then there's Thranduil... who, unexpectedly also became one of my favorite characters as well. I'm hoping that there is more about the necklace that belonged to his wife that Thorin finds in the theatrical version. I'm hoping to find out more about that storyline (even though it's not really part of the book). I have very few problems with the adaptation of the Hobbit movies, no offense to anyone who thinks otherwise... Smile

Aside from that, I am looking forward to seeing more of the Dol Guldor sequence with the members of the White Council. Elrond and Galadriel are two of my favorite characters, and Saruman has such an interesting role in this movie... we see him just before he turns to evil. Aside from that, I would agree that more of Beorn would be nice- we barely saw him at all in the third film.

Let's face it... I can't wait for this extended edition. I have all of them, and this one will complete my collection. That in itself excites me a lot.

nusilver
Rohan

Sep 29 2015, 7:17pm

Post #10 of 15 (2108 views)
Shortcut
welp... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Much as I'm looking forward to seeing it, America's a bit far..... Wink

If you don't want to wait six weeks, you can always download it from iTunes in your country on 10/20. Pretty sure it's a global digital release.

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 29 2015, 7:22pm

Post #11 of 15 (2106 views)
Shortcut
You are right - I am not thinking straight! [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering the release of the digital download version is a week after this theatrical event... I don't know if your idea of using this as a sort of test screening and then tweaking it more is a plan. Yeah, they could do it in a week, but the question is have the DVD/bluray discs already been made.

Ooops - and I was the one yet, earlier in other posts, commenting on the disk production and artCrazy - all that has to be set up and done and distributed - so, yes, I guess this is it. I keep forgetting about those digital releases too, since my mind is set on the disks (my first and only time for a download, I could get the DOS EE but not all the other material, and Apple didn't know why, but after a couple of tries with me they just refunded my money - will say the customer service was great with me.

I don't have a Mac so maybe that was the problem, but in talking to people and reading there were just too many things that might have been wrong, or needed, re the download issue for meFrown. Other people I know had no problem at all).

Guess it was just in my head that PJ "tweaks things until the last minute" but he's already been working on BOFA for quite a while.

In any event, this is really going to be an interesting release!ShockedShockedShocked Don't know if they will do it, but I love Ryan Gage's Alfrid but as I have posted before, IMO there is too much of him, and I truly don't need to see his demise and DON'T think it's important, or adds to anything at all - having him run off was quite adequate and actually better, in a way, to imagine how he might end upCool. A loose end of sorts that IMO is better left untied.

Re Legolas, for me- while I don't object to him having a hand fighting, the Bolg/Legolas thing never worked and I never felt invested in it, so IMO they could shave some time off all that, somehow - for me. As it is, I am still pondering re the new footage how one would get a panicked bat to fly exactly the right way along more or less a straight line, because a frightened creature is more likely to take off any which way.CoolAngelic Tho the recent post re all of Legolas' arrows not falling out was good info.

LSF
Gondor

Sep 29 2015, 7:34pm

Post #12 of 15 (2091 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I really don't want or need to see Alfrid die by getting eaten by a troll (as discussed in the Chronicles book). I like that he runs off with pockets full of gold like the Master does in the book.

I wouldn't want them to shave parts off the Legolas/Bolg fight, since it is a cool fight. But they shouldn't add anything to it, defintely.

eowyn22
The Shire

Sep 29 2015, 7:42pm

Post #13 of 15 (2086 views)
Shortcut
Wow... I almost forgot [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't believe I forgot to mention the funeral scene! We all know that it's not going to be happy but I think it is necessary. I still can't believe it is not in the theatrical version.

It's not okay that I forgot that.

(This post was edited by eowyn22 on Sep 29 2015, 7:50pm)

Dwarewien
Rohan

Sep 29 2015, 10:35pm

Post #14 of 15 (1984 views)
Shortcut
Check this out: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Re:
Pretty sure we're going to get the Funeral scene, but I'm not really looking forward to that.Unsure

Yeah. Evidently "probably" the "most anticipated" scene in the EE if one is generalizingUnimpressed; for me it's nothing to look forward to, but something to uncomfortably and depressingly watch "because I should" and then head for a nice long swim in the River, preferably with drinks, and hang out with the Durins in floaty chairs and discuss Thorin's coronation. After all, the crown is a problem as we think it restricts his hair too much, even with the wind machine turned up all the way.WinkEvilLaugh

http://queen-of-erebor.deviantart.com/...f-Our-King-399143172

just in case you're curious what Thorin would look like at his coronation. I've yet to read the story that comes with it (luckily, I also have an Ao3 account that I mostly created as a place to post drabbles to the various imagines on tumblr, since I'm on the writer's list of both imaginexhobbit and thereandbackagainimagines). Sometimes denial is a good thing, since sometimes bad things might happen to our favorite characters, but that doesn't mean we have to like it (or even accept it, since you won't find one reference to those scenes in my tumblr, it's mostly naughty, or at least the reblogs about Thorin are).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 30 2015, 12:01am

Post #15 of 15 (1945 views)
Shortcut
oh that's OK [In reply to] Can't Post

A year from now we will all be celebrating at Thorin's annual coronation holiday & fall festival.LaughWink

Even Thranduil, who will be supplying the wineAngelic. This miraculous turn of events will be courtesy of the mysterious blue wizards,
who are female (probably) and decided life was better with the Durins in it. And their hair.WinkLaughLaughLaugh

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.