The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What if Azog didn't die?

boldog
Rohan

Sep 29 2015, 8:41am

Post #1 of 17 (2402 views)
Shortcut
What if Azog didn't die? Can't Post

Lets push the breaking of canon even more, and assume Azog survived The Battle of the five armies. What would become of him? Would Sauron hate him for loosing the battle? Would he go into hiding? Or would he be in Gothmogs place at Pelennor?

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Sep 29 2015, 9:20am

Post #2 of 17 (2354 views)
Shortcut
Hm [In reply to] Can't Post

He might have been a special guest at the Funeral.

Or probably fell in love with Tauriel.

Who knows.

(This post was edited by NoelGallagher on Sep 29 2015, 9:22am)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 29 2015, 4:44pm

Post #3 of 17 (2199 views)
Shortcut
I'd rather think about one of the Heirs of Durin surviving [In reply to] Can't Post

or maybe more than one, hehe! It's not like I haven't written fanfics on that very subject!

I actually always hated the fact that both nephews died, that's probably the biggest reason why I don't like the book that much. Still, I'm glad I saw the movies - even if my husband isn't! But I digress. Azog should have drown, IMO, that jumping back out of the ice was one of the many stupid things in BOT5A, maybe not as bad as some of Leggy's stunts but still. It would make more sense to me that, after defeating Azog that Thorin is killed by Bolg, run through or something. After that I don't really care who kills Bolg, Legolas or Beorn, Dain even. Don't care as long as he's dead.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

LSF
Gondor

Sep 29 2015, 5:07pm

Post #4 of 17 (2185 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog taking the place of Gothmog would be interesting. Azog comes off as a strategist more so than Gothmog. So instead of the entire orc army attacking the gate and walls of minas tirith head on, I could see more division into different tasks and attack types.

LSF
Gondor

Sep 29 2015, 5:14pm

Post #5 of 17 (2181 views)
Shortcut
Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

From a dramatic story telling point of view, if you build up this personal vendetta with two characters, and both of them must die by the end, they "should" die fighting each other. Otherwise there's no real pay off in building that up.

And personally I think it's a nice (if a little dumb on thorin's part to be standing right over him) moment when azog is floating under the ice and thorin is following him to make sure he is dead. And I wouldn't buy azog going out like that. Azog has the "lure him in" strategy going on, first in the forest fire in AUJ, then to get him up to ravenhill, and finally to get him to get close enough to pounce.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 29 2015, 5:43pm

Post #6 of 17 (2175 views)
Shortcut
Azog has to die for the story to work.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And even within the story, the battle can't end until he dies. So if he survived his fight with Thorin someone else would have to kill him.

LSF
Gondor

Sep 29 2015, 5:45pm

Post #7 of 17 (2171 views)
Shortcut
well yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Well yes, for the story to work. But "what ifs" can be fun to think about anyway Tongue

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 29 2015, 5:48pm

Post #8 of 17 (2171 views)
Shortcut
Leave or Let Die [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And even within the story, the battle can't end until he dies. So if he survived his fight with Thorin someone else would have to kill him.

Well, he could have fled, but that would not have been satisfying.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 29 2015, 5:49pm

Post #9 of 17 (2167 views)
Shortcut
Well yes, they can.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but not that particular one for me. If Azog survives, Azog's won - I wouldn't want that story to end that way.

(This post was edited by dormouse on Sep 29 2015, 5:50pm)

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Oct 2 2015, 5:07pm

Post #10 of 17 (1896 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of canon [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson just e-mailed me and told me Tauriel is his favourite Tolkien character.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Oct 2 2015, 5:55pm

Post #11 of 17 (1890 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'd happily put her in a canon.. [In reply to] Can't Post

and fire over the mountains and out of the story. And, of course, she's not a Tolkien character.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Oakensword
The Shire

Oct 3 2015, 9:43pm

Post #12 of 17 (1811 views)
Shortcut
Wargs! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe he would have helped in the hunt for The Ring? We might have seen Azog return to Weathertop in FotR? Tongue I don't like the ringbearer's chances much but there it is.
I actually got to thinking what if Azog did die of his wounds in Moria and The Necromancer revived him? Again there isn't much give to allow that one but a neat idea.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 3 2015, 10:06pm

Post #13 of 17 (1801 views)
Shortcut
The only reason Tauriel sucks is because of the love story... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien does have two of Thranduil's elves (unnamed) in Laketown. So it's not so much of a stretch to say that one of them was female. It's less likely that one was a prince, but I think they were dining with the Master? So maybe he was important and could be Legolas - although they're referred to as "raft-elves" if I'm remembering any of this correctly.

Anyway, Tauriel could easily have been a great character - and actually she was a really good character. She looked fantastic, the performance was fine, she kicked orc-butt and had a few interesting moments. It's the whole love story that needs to be put in a canon, not Tauriel.

Oakensword
The Shire

Oct 3 2015, 11:26pm

Post #14 of 17 (1786 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! I vividly remember... [In reply to] Can't Post

Pete saying she wasn't set to be anybody's love interest once upon a time.
"It is our fight" alongside her scene with Thranduil was perfect motif enough until the "morgul shaft" shattered half the canon. Unsure

(This post was edited by Oakensword on Oct 3 2015, 11:26pm)

LSF
Gondor

Oct 3 2015, 11:35pm

Post #15 of 17 (1784 views)
Shortcut
tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

From what I remember, she was meant to have the Kili romance since near the start. The Legolas triangle, no, but the romance, yeah. Certainly before the time they started filming, since Lily's first scene to shoot was the healing Kili one. Lily was fine with the romance, but her condition was no triangle.

LSF
Gondor

Oct 4 2015, 12:05am

Post #16 of 17 (1776 views)
Shortcut
Ring hunting [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't see Azog working with the Nazgul to hunt down the ring, or maybe they wouldn't work with him. And this is too important to just let azog do it

Oh, now that is a fun thought Cool

Oakensword
The Shire

Oct 4 2015, 12:28am

Post #17 of 17 (1767 views)
Shortcut
Dain? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I can't see Azog working with the Nazgul to hunt down the ring, or maybe they wouldn't work with him. And this is too important to just let azog do it /reply]

Not very cinematic either, is it? Tongue
I guess at the most realistic if Azog survived Thorin we might have seen King Dain do the deed, restoring book canon. I actually thought it would happen like that before the TE release but ho hum.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.