The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
"It"

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 28 2015, 10:06pm

Post #1 of 16 (627 views)
Shortcut
"It" Can't Post

I hate to create this thread, because it is just above Brethil's sad news thread and I really sorry about her loss... but, anyway, this forum needs to run, so, moving on!

So, I live in Brazil, and here we speak portuguese, just like Portugal, but with a accent. In portuguese, EVERYTHING has a gender. Every noun is "male" or "female".

For example, mesa (table) is female, but carro (car) is male!! In english, this does not exist. The english guys never says "my shirt, where is he?" they say " my shirt, where's it?". English use "it" for non persons...

I've a question then:

If my dog can speak, he is must be called it or not? And what about and alien? He is not a human, but is a person...

Thank you for replies!

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Sep 28 2015, 10:17pm

Post #2 of 16 (591 views)
Shortcut
A dog has a gender [In reply to] Can't Post

so I would use 'he' or 'she'. I wouldn't dream of calling the family dog 'it'. I imagine the same would apply to an alien, unless he/she/it was an hermaphrodite.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 28 2015, 10:22pm

Post #3 of 16 (586 views)
Shortcut
Depends [In reply to] Can't Post

Should not a male dog be "he" and a female a "she"? That seems pretty straightforward, at least if we are discussing pronouns.. If you don't know then go with what is called for by your language.

An extraterrestrial might have very complicated gender-issues or might even only have one gender.

There are exceptions to using gender-neutral terms in English. There is the tradition, for example, of speaking of ships as female.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Sep 28 2015, 10:27pm

Post #4 of 16 (582 views)
Shortcut
As Greenwood Hobbit said [In reply to] Can't Post

When the gender is known, that's the one you use. I would never call my dogs, who are like family, it. But generally, if it's not known if a dog or cat is male or female, it's referred to as it. It doesn't seem right, though Unsure Some people think of all cats as female and all dogs as male unless they know otherwise. So if they are talking about a cat whose gender is unknown, they'll call the cat she.

By the way, you are right to follow the wise Maciliel's advice to continue posting and keep the boards moving. Smile

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 28 2015, 10:42pm

Post #5 of 16 (580 views)
Shortcut
In British English I think we always tend to use a gender.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...with a pet dog or cat or other creature when we know the gender we'd always say 'he' or 'she'

With anything sentient - be it animal or alien - we tend to use a gender even if we don't know which gender is correct, because to say 'it' sounds very cold and dismissive. I think we're more likely to say 'he or she' rather than 'it'.

A table is it, or a stone, or a pencil, but something alive, or something that feels as if it has a character - like a ship, or a car - is always more likely to be called 'he' or 'she'.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 28 2015, 11:06pm

Post #6 of 16 (574 views)
Shortcut
I think the only time I refer to animals as "it" [In reply to] Can't Post

is when it's a strange animal and I do not know or cannot tell the gender. If I know the gender, I use it, but if I don't I will use the gender-neutral "it". People randomly choosing a gender when they don't know kind of bugs me, so I try to avoid doing that myself.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

squire
Half-elven

Sep 29 2015, 12:37am

Post #7 of 16 (563 views)
Shortcut
"I saw a dog on my walk this morning, and it was barking really loudly." [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I cannot sex a dog by sight, I always refer to one I don't know personally as 'it'.

If - and it's a big if - I happen to know the owner and thus know (and remember) the dog's sex, I will probably be able to say 'he' or 'she' when referring to ...

wait ....

it.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 29 2015, 8:34pm

Post #8 of 16 (506 views)
Shortcut
Living vs. non-living things [In reply to] Can't Post

If it is alive, it most likely has a gender, but if it's something like a table or shirt, then no gender is assigned and the objects are either called "it" or what they are - a table and a shirt. What really gets complicated is when you have a crowd of people, or if the gender of the person is unknown. You would NEVER call a person "it," that's just rude. So a crowd becomes "them." If you are sending a letter to someone, say, for a job interview, and you don't know their gender, then you'd say "Dear Sir or Madam"; likewise, when describing people you don't know in a report you'd say "he or she." Lately people have been saying "them" or "their" instead of "he" or "she", and it's becoming more acceptable as the English language is pushing to be even more gender-neutral than ever. I probably just gave you a headache, sorry 'bout that, sometimes it gives me a headache, too.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 29 2015, 8:47pm

Post #9 of 16 (505 views)
Shortcut
"hesheit" [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes "hesheitthey".

"Mister Frodo, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good frying pan at your side. I’ve been from one side of this garden to the other, I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Providence controlling everything. There's no Music of the Ainur that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 29 2015, 9:35pm

Post #10 of 16 (484 views)
Shortcut
Thank you guys! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a matter of gender, then! Great.

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 30 2015, 1:23am

Post #11 of 16 (470 views)
Shortcut
Then there's the problem with indefinite pronouns.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Animals are easy, as others note, because they do have gender. Where English speakers have a problem that remains unresolved is with indefinite pronouns, such as "everyone" or "someone":

"Everyone should state his or her name on entering" is clunky. A common solution is, "Everyone should state their name..." but that is incorrect, since "everyone" is singular and "their" is plural. The best approach is to try to re-word the sentence to avoid the awkwardness, such as:

"People should state their name..." (ok because both "People" and "their" are plural) or:

"Please state your name..." (made to be 2nd person instead of 3rd)

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Sep 30 2015, 1:25am)

Annael
Immortal

Oct 1 2015, 3:57pm

Post #12 of 16 (419 views)
Shortcut
actually "they" as a single noun is acceptable and has been for centuries [In reply to] Can't Post

The American Copy Editors Society ruled it was okay at their annual conference this year. The editors at the Oxford Dictionaries agree (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/...e-or-she-versus-they), as do the editors of The Wall Street Journal and The Economist, which makes the point that "they" is particularly useful in these days when not everyone identifies with a gender.

Shakespeare used it. Jane Austen used it. Even Fowler, the most rigid of the English language usage guides, says it's okay.

And we must remember that technically, "you" is also a plural pronoun, but we all accept it when used as a singular pronoun these days.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Oct 1 2015, 3:58pm)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 1 2015, 11:24pm

Post #13 of 16 (404 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm from the South... [In reply to] Can't Post

...where the plural of "you" is "you all".

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 1 2015, 11:27pm

Post #14 of 16 (401 views)
Shortcut
And if it's a really big group, [In reply to] Can't Post

"all y'all."

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 2 2015, 12:53am

Post #15 of 16 (396 views)
Shortcut
Around here it's "yous". [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is like nails on a blackboard to me.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 2 2015, 1:18am

Post #16 of 16 (393 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd rather hear youse than 'peeps'. *vomits slightly*

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.