Ori's portrait of Bilbo scene?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Goldeneye
Lorien

Sep 28 2015, 4:08am

Post #1 of 28 (3181 views)
Shortcut
Ori's portrait of Bilbo scene? Can't Post

I recall hearing at some point that there was a scene with Ori and Bilbo, where it's revealed that he drew the portrait of Bilbo that we see at the beginning of AUJ. Is there any truth to this, and if so will it be included in the BOFA EE?

LSF
Gondor

Sep 28 2015, 4:14am

Post #2 of 28 (3140 views)
Shortcut
Portrait [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that was something revealed in the chronicles books, along with (though these are never shown in movie) his portraits of bifur, nori, and gloin. I didn't hear of them actually filming him drawing it, though it would be a nice little thing to see.

If it was a scene, I would've imagined it while they're on the road or at Rivendell. Definitely before Mirkwood.

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Sep 28 2015, 4:46am

Post #3 of 28 (3121 views)
Shortcut
Is this the portrait of Bilbo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you thinking of this one?

That picture is loose in Bilbo's journal at the beginning of An Unexpected Journey. We first see it when Ian Holm is thinking, "I'm not the same hobbit that I once was." I don't know who the artist is.

LSF
Gondor

Sep 28 2015, 4:51am

Post #4 of 28 (3116 views)
Shortcut
Ori [In reply to] Can't Post

It's confirmed to be ori in the chronicles books.

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Sep 28 2015, 5:02am

Post #5 of 28 (3107 views)
Shortcut
Is Adam Brown really the artist? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did Adam Brown really draw the portrait, or is that just part of the character's story?

LSF
Gondor

Sep 28 2015, 5:15am

Post #6 of 28 (3103 views)
Shortcut
Artist [In reply to] Can't Post

Adam was an artist in his younger days, and the chronicles book did mention he did draw some of the stuff in ori's journal, but the film graphic designer, Daniel Reeve, was the actual artist of the portrait.

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Sep 28 2015, 6:20am

Post #7 of 28 (3076 views)
Shortcut
Now I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! I'm always wondering who created all the eye candy. Now I can properly credit Daniel Reeve, should the occasion arise.

LSF
Gondor

Sep 28 2015, 6:30am

Post #8 of 28 (3068 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Daniel Reeve did pretty much all the drawings and writing stuff you see (and things the camera never got close enough to to see), like the "No admittance except on party business" sign.

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Sep 28 2015, 8:58am

Post #9 of 28 (2987 views)
Shortcut
I think I've seen him in the videos [In reply to] Can't Post

Ohhh... so Daniel Reeve is the calligrapher. I'm pretty sure I've seen him in one of the Appendices or production diaries, working on the "No Admittance" sign. His must be one of the names that didn't stick in my head... until now. :)

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 28 2015, 10:38am

Post #10 of 28 (2956 views)
Shortcut
I've seen people say they'd like to see Ori give Bilbo the drawing.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't ever remember seeing it mentioned as a scene that was filmed. Would be nice, but I think it's only something people have imagined.

The pictures of Ori's pack and sketchbook in the Chronicles book have made that my favourite prop of all!

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 28 2015, 4:20pm

Post #11 of 28 (2800 views)
Shortcut
Ori's book [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a real shame we only get to see Ori writing in his book once in the entire trilogy, and it's in the background of a shot. One of the many things they came up with for the dwarves but never fleshed out in the movies themselves, even though they had plenty of time to.

The only time we actually get to see his writings acknowledged is in LotR...and he's dead.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Sep 28 2015, 4:22pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 28 2015, 6:59pm

Post #12 of 28 (2717 views)
Shortcut
my imagined "campfire" scene *cries into my chai tea* [In reply to] Can't Post

the brief scene that never happened and was never filmedTongue...more or less at the base of the carrock...the one after Bilbo saves Thorin and we get to see them talking a bit, their relationship wholly changed, and Ori could be sketching Bilbo by the fire, and Fili and Kili messing about and Dwalin sharpening his axes while Oin fusses over making some potion for Thorin's injuries, and Bifur carves a toy, and Bombur is sneaking food from a leather sack, and Bofur catches him, and Gloin is counting some coins while Nori looks interestedly on, and there's at least one peaceful moment before the howls of wargs are heard in the distance....

http://megatruh.deviantart.com/...d-is-ahead-358341332

*Sourly* well at least some artists have thought that kind of journey moment might have been important.Unimpressed

*Sigh* 2 weeks or so and we will know all - tick tockUnsure - what we will have, and what might have been. At least until the mythical ultra super unrated director cut.Evil

Goldeneye
Lorien

Sep 28 2015, 7:28pm

Post #13 of 28 (2698 views)
Shortcut
Sadly... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's such a shame that we spend three films with the dwarves and barely get to know their backgrounds or personalities (aside from maybe Thorin and Balin). For example, if someone hadn't read the book, they wouldn't even have known that Fili and Kili were Thorin's nephews until the third film (unless they mentioned it earlier and I forgot, but nonetheless it is not something that they exploit whatsoever).

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 28 2015, 7:40pm

Post #14 of 28 (2693 views)
Shortcut
Kili and Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's such a shame that we spend three films with the dwarves and barely get to know their backgrounds or personalities (aside from maybe Thorin and Balin). For example, if someone hadn't read the book, they wouldn't even have known that Fili and Kili were Thorin's nephews until the third film (unless they mentioned it earlier and I forgot, but nonetheless it is not something that they exploit whatsoever).

I believe you are mistaken about when we discover that Fili & Kili are Thorin's nephews. But even if you are correct that is better than the book. Tolkien doesn't reveal this until after they are dead!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

AndHeHandedHimTheTobaccoJar
Bree

Sep 28 2015, 7:57pm

Post #15 of 28 (2683 views)
Shortcut
I thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

That Tolkien revealed it in Laketown?

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Sep 28 2015, 8:09pm

Post #16 of 28 (2671 views)
Shortcut
Both book and film it is in Lake town. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book, chapter 10 A warm welcome.

"The sons of my father's daughter, answered Thorin

And in the film Fili calls Thorin for uncle when he is fighting with Thorin about living Kili behind.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 28 2015, 8:19pm

Post #17 of 28 (2659 views)
Shortcut
So it is! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the book, chapter 10 A warm welcome.

I totally missed that! I still think that the revelation might come sooner in the films--possibly even in AUJ.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 28 2015, 10:28pm

Post #18 of 28 (2613 views)
Shortcut
I love the picture.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and your imagined scene's pretty nice as well, but I'm betting Ori wouldn't have enough light for sketching in those conditions. Firelight is lovely and dim and atmospheric, but it flickers a lot and the smoke gets in your eyes. Give me strong daylight for drawing portraits! Wink

PS. Some of us won't know until November, and even then, I don't think we'll know what might have been....

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Sep 28 2015, 11:29pm

Post #19 of 28 (2578 views)
Shortcut
that portrait [In reply to] Can't Post

that portrait looks like a mix between Ian Holm and Martin Freeman doesn't it? the perfect Bilbo in my opinion. we can really see it if it was a larger version

Goldeneye
Lorien

Sep 29 2015, 12:47am

Post #20 of 28 (2556 views)
Shortcut
You may be right [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't remember when it is first mentioned, but regardless it is not really made explicit at all. I felt they could have played that relationship up more, which would have paid off in spades when it came to their respective death scenes. Oh well.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 29 2015, 1:33am

Post #21 of 28 (2538 views)
Shortcut
I'm not so sure now... [In reply to] Can't Post

I gave AUJ a quick view and couldn't find a reference to Thorin as the brothers' uncle. It might not be mentioned before the company reaches Lake-town! Since I was already familiar with Tolkien's mythos, it is far too easy to assume certain things.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 29 2015, 1:43am)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 29 2015, 1:39am

Post #22 of 28 (2536 views)
Shortcut
exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

The dwarves weren't really fleshed out at all in the book, so it didn't matter that they brought it up so late. But I couldn't believe that they didn't even bring it up in AUJ. Maybe the few uncle/nephew references they shot for AUJ just coincidentally ended up being in scenes they didn't decide they needed, and it was too late (or they didn't notice) to do anything about it when they finished editing.

LSF
Gondor

Sep 29 2015, 1:53am

Post #23 of 28 (2526 views)
Shortcut
To be fair [In reply to] Can't Post

If I was travelling with my two nephews/heirs while on a potentially dangerous journey where unsavory people might recognize me on sight (those two bounty hunters in Bree, elves I don't trust, Goblin King...) I wouldn't openly say they're my heirs. The less we mention it, and less other people know, the better.

Also, Fili addressed him as "uncle" in an emotional moment in DOS. So it wouldn't surprise me if they were told not to call him that as a protection measure. But I think it's obvious enough in AUJ that they are close.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 29 2015, 2:19am

Post #24 of 28 (2515 views)
Shortcut
That makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

That makes sense. But if that's what they were going for, they should have written a little scene around that. It could have added some extra tension to the story.

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Sep 29 2015, 3:55am

Post #25 of 28 (2491 views)
Shortcut
Yup, the clues are there! Kinda. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... I think it's obvious enough in AUJ that they are close.

Now that you mention it, when I saw An Unexpected Journey for the first time, when they got to the scene where Fili and Kili were engaging in some immature humor about a night raid by orcs and Thorin called them down, my first thought was, "Golly! Thorin is too much of a grump!"

Not a second later, I remembered that Thorin was their uncle, and realized that it was actually a quite brilliantly written scene of him trying to guide his nephews into maturity. But my knowledge of who they were came from reading the Appendices at the end of Return of the King, not from the old children's edition of "The Hobbit."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.