The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 24 2015, 4:41pm

Post #1 of 12 (678 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! Can't Post

Welcome to the Walk, everyone! How go your journeys through Middle Earth and this Earth?

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 15
Cumulative miles: 762
Goal: Rivendell to Lothlorien

Not a great week for me, again. sigh. But at least some of those miles were weeding in the back yard. We're having some late hot weather here, and my foot was complaining at me a bit. I think I need to rethink another pair of shoes, maybe replace them. harrumph. Especially since, with the Fellowship, we're getting close to the base of Caradhras. I want to start putting some miles on! Not to mention keeping my knee calm, getting in better shape, being active...

Hmmm... I got ranty over Doctor Who in the What Have You Been Watching thread, now I'm grumbling here... Sorry for the crankiness, folks.

And have a good next week on the Road!

Arandiel

Resources
The Walk with the Fellowship Challenge
The Eowyn Challenge Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site includes helpful activity conversion charts, mileages for Bilbo's Hobbitty journey home, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page is useful for keeping track of mileage, though be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity.

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

sherlock
Gondor

Sep 25 2015, 11:50am

Post #2 of 12 (658 views)
Shortcut
This is my time of year to walk. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope my feet & knees hold up. I need to stop walking in flip flops & wear proper shoes.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Sep 25 2015, 12:34pm

Post #3 of 12 (657 views)
Shortcut
Update for September 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, Arandiel!

I'm sorry you haven't been able to make the kind of progress you've been hoping to, but I'm sure it's going to change before long.

It was a slightly slower week for me as well and I imagine it's likely to continue that way, now that the autumn is taking hold more firmly with each passing day.

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 42,5
Cumulative miles: 1500,5
Goal: Rauros to Mt. Doom

In Middle-earth, I'm finally in a nicer region again, having reached northern Ithilien.

Happy walking, everyone!

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Sep 25 2015, 12:36pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 27 2015, 11:25pm

Post #4 of 12 (620 views)
Shortcut
Howdy Walkers! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a more normal week of activity after several days/weeks of moving furniture and boxes for my Daughter... and that's TOTALLY OK with me!!! ;)

The cool weather is going to move in this week (mid-60s), and that's totally ok with me, too! That's my kind of weather!

Hey Arandiel... an old waitress/hairdresser trick to help your feet and legs is to change your shoes 2-3 times throughout the day... depending on your activity. It gives your feet (and legs) a breather and disperses any stresses being caused by a specific pair of shoes. Socks are also something to look at. When my feet/legs are challenged, I start wearing diabetic stockings. They also give extra support.

SO... Thank you for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel, and I hope you and all our walkers have a wonderful week :)

As for the Fellowship and me.... it's taking my turn at the paddle on the River once again!

Miles covered: 32 miles 9/24
Cumulated miles: 1204
CHALLENGE: The Lord of the Rings Walk with the Fellowship Challenge!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 27 2015, 11:28pm

Post #5 of 12 (619 views)
Shortcut
*giggle* Flip-flopping across Middle-earth? [In reply to] Can't Post

A bit Gollumesque, eh? ;) I just gave some aromatic sage advice to Arandiel about foot relief. I get very deep, sometimes ;)

I hope you have an AWESOME week, my Friend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 27 2015, 11:30pm

Post #6 of 12 (619 views)
Shortcut
Ithilien!? [In reply to] Can't Post

*draws in deep breath* Oh.. a very neat place to be about now ;)

I hope you have a Fabulous week and a Bounty of Footfalls! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Oct 2 2015, 6:54pm

Post #7 of 12 (562 views)
Shortcut
Week of October 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's me, head cold and all, Thag you very buch! But, hey, it's another week of the Walk - how go your Fall/Spring activities?

And it's good to 'see' you again, sherlock!

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 12
Cumulative miles: 774
Goal: Rivendell to Lothlorien

The aforementioned cold has sidelined me a bit - that, and having to work a lot at the computer. If only my foot and Bill the Treadmill were getting along, I could walk and type like I used to. sigh. Someday, my foot will calm down again - or we'll get a treadmill with a better deck. Or both. Both would be nice.

Thanks for the advice, gramma. I'd already culled through my shoes a few years back to get rid of the worst offenders, and I'm extremely particular about any new pairs. I think it's a combination of wearing a particular pair of sandals a bit too much and not getting enough miles in that's causing the problem this go-round. The cooler weather that just moved in this week will put the kibosh on the sandal issue! Wink

Enjoy the Road!
- Ara

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 3 2015, 11:34am

Post #8 of 12 (547 views)
Shortcut
Update for October 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a satisfactory week for me. I managed to survive another birthday Laugh *and* keep up a decent pace. We'll see what the next week brings, however, because I too am coming down with a cold. Frown

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 40,5
Cumulative miles: 1541
Goal: Rauros to Mt. Doom

In Middle-earth, I've departed from Faramir and heading towards the Morgul Vale. Unimpressed It just keeps getting better and better, isn't it?

Happy walking, everyone! Smile

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Oct 3 2015, 11:35am)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Oct 5 2015, 3:42am

Post #9 of 12 (502 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope it was a good 'un!

Who knew colds could spread by internet? Crazy Sorry, BlackFox - get better soon!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 5 2015, 9:44am

Post #10 of 12 (498 views)
Shortcut
Howdy All! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so sorry you've got a cold, Arandiel. The change of seasons brings out all sorts of nasties. :(

I've gotten some good mileage in with trying to get done what I can outside and working my second job; but I'm ready for a quiet rest at Bag End... that's fersher :)

The Fellowship and I are still on the River, but we've reached the lands of Emyn Muil... so we're close to Rauros and the Argonath... I can't WAIT to see that!!

I hope everyone has a GREAT week and enjoy watching the trees turn colour for those who live in those regions ;)

Miles covered: 33 miles 10/1
Cumulated miles: 1237
CHALLENGE: The Lord of the Rings Walk with the Fellowship Challenge!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 5 2015, 9:46am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 5 2015, 11:12am

Post #11 of 12 (494 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, it was a "gift" -- I got it from my brother when he came home for my birthday. FrownLaugh

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Oct 7 2015, 6:00pm

Post #12 of 12 (466 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, the Argonath - [In reply to] Can't Post

awesome!

Enjoy the lovely Fall weather while you can, gramma!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.