Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How Peter Jackson’s ‘Hobbit’ Trilogy Misses The Point Of Tolkien’s Novel By Alyssa Fikse
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

LSF
Gondor

Sep 25 2015, 4:56pm

Post #76 of 82 (738 views)
Shortcut
it was funny... [In reply to] Can't Post

because the audience was going along with it, enjoying it. During the intermission(when they reach mirkwood), I heard people going "I wonder how they're gonna do the battle of five armies, and the destruction of laketown, and having Bard kill Smaug, and..."

Then it gets to that part and everyone was confused.

lonelymountainhermit
Lorien

Sep 25 2015, 5:13pm

Post #77 of 82 (739 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to admit that is interesting. And while I agree with Christopher in that the film versions of both stories lack the philosophical depth of their written counterparts, I can understand why certain changes may have been made to bring it to the mainstream audience, even if I don't agree with the motivations.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Sep 25 2015, 5:19pm

Post #78 of 82 (716 views)
Shortcut
Seriously now? [In reply to] Can't Post

LSF offered a good(imo) but completely different story of the Hobbit book, approved by Tolkien and the only argument you could come up with is what Christopher has to say on the LOTR films? Because, Christopher commented on the LOTR, i hope you know that. He had no intention of watching the Hobbit to utter an opinion at that point if i remember correctly.

But that is a problem i often encounter with many critics of these films. They do not have any redeeming critical faculties judging from the number of condescending and arrogant comments-some aimed at fans of these films of course, not only the creators-. They express an unprecedented zeal in a dogmatic and high bound pronouncements as self appointed authorities of all things concerning Middle Earth,constantly hacking away at Jackson's supposed heresies. Thank god, on the other hand there are some critics, especially in this forum who have a reasoning capacity to explain in detail and with arguments why they dislike these films. There comes a somewhat balance in that matter but the damage from the first category is too deep imo.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Sep 25 2015, 5:20pm

Post #79 of 82 (708 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much for posting [In reply to] Can't Post

that LSF! It was a really interesting reading Wink

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

lonelymountainhermit
Lorien

Sep 25 2015, 5:26pm

Post #80 of 82 (699 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

lol yes I am aware that Christopher was referring to the LotR films and so was I...however at the end of the article he says that he imagines the Hobbit will be the same sort of film. An um...he was right.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 25 2015, 5:42pm

Post #81 of 82 (672 views)
Shortcut
The Stage-play [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm. That actually reminds me a little of how Tolkien originally saw the end of the story, when Bilbo stabs the dragon with a magic spear he finds in the lair.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

KW
Rivendell

Sep 30 2015, 3:50pm

Post #82 of 82 (588 views)
Shortcut
So.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was curious and looked up more on this. I found the following on the barrowdowns forum quoted by jallanite from The Tokien Companion and Guide.

"The scripts of a dramatization by Patricia Gray and of a musical by Allan Jay Friedman, David Rogers, and Ruth Perry were published in 1968 and 1972 respectively by the Dramatic Publishing Company of Chicago, ‘authorized by Professor J. R. R. Tolkien’. This imprimatur, however, was given only as part of a compromise between the publisher and George Allen & Unwin, at a time when the validity of the copyright of the first edition of The Hobbit in the United States, and therefore the ability to control or prevent dramatic adaptations, was seriously in question (see * Ace Books controversy, and further in the present entry.) In fact Tolkien disliked at least the version by Gray and still less that he had little or no say in the matter. Through * Rayner Unwin he requested changes where the adapter had departed from the text without (as he felt) any dramatic necessity. Although the Dramatic Publishing Company held that they knew best what was needed for an effective stage play, they agreed to some of Tolkien’s requests, and Unwin felt that these ‘repaired a lot of the worst excesses and infelicities’ (letter to Tolkien, 19 June 1968, Tolkien-George Allen & Unwin archive, HarperCollins). On 20 June Unwin wrote to H. N. Swanson, the American agent for Allen & Unwin, that ‘neither Professor Tolkien nor I are concerned about the process of dramatization so long as it is a dramatization of the book in question and that intrusions from elsewhere conform to the spirit and style of the original’. Tolkien further agreed that ‘the publication is with his authorization . . . [but] he would not wish it to be said that the dramatization had his approval (George Allen & Unwin archive, University of Reading)."

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?p=702043

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.