Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Gender/race-swapped LOTR cast
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 6 2015, 6:54pm

Post #26 of 31 (644 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I lived in Dallas in the late 60s. I recall the local NBC affliate always pre-empted I Spy, which irritated me cause I liked Robert Culp from his earlier Trackdown TV Western, and I loved Bill Cosby's comedy records. And the CBS affiliate always delayed Hawaii Five-0 until after the local news at 10:30pm, again presumably because of its racial make-up.

On the other hand I remember seeing a re-release of Disney's Song of the South (1946) in a Dallas theater in the 60s, regularly watching syndicated Amos 'n' Andy reruns on local TV, and viewing a lot of old Warner Brothers and Popeye cartoons on Saturday and afternoon TV that would definitely not be politically correct today. (I loved the WB Mynah Bird cartoons!)

Oddly enough, I distnctly remember seeing the Kirk/Uhura kiss on Star Trek. Guess it slipped by the local affiliate. Personally I felt very uncomfortable with it, but that was because it was mentally forced. For me Uhura was scifi in boots and a mini-skirt. This teenage boy was in love!

"Mister Frodo, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good frying pan at your side. Ive been from one side of this garden to the other, I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Providence controlling everything. There's no Music of the Ainur that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Oct 6 2015, 7:48pm

Post #27 of 31 (637 views)
Shortcut
"Star Trek: The Lost Episode". [In reply to] Can't Post

But back then, in the Days Before the Interwebs, you had to go looking for fanfic in fanfic mags in the backs of real mags and send for them in the mail or find them at cons and stuff...

Right, although there was at least one partial exception late in the pre-Interwebs era: this edited audio recording of Star Trek clips, or something very like it, aired several times on the nationally-syndicated Dr. Demento radio program starting in at least 1995; I remember--and the Demento episode archive concurs--that it was titled "Kirk and Spock" at the time.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 7 2015, 3:14am

Post #28 of 31 (615 views)
Shortcut
wow [In reply to] Can't Post

their animation improved dramatically!

I still haven't forgiven them for the hideous "woodelves"...

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Ml 'lain nallol, I sl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Member of Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 7 2015, 4:55am

Post #29 of 31 (607 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit (1977) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I still haven't forgiven them for the hideous "woodelves"...

The film had two character designers: Lester Abrams at Rankin/Bass and Tsuguyuki Kubo at Topcraft. I'm afraid I can't say for certain who was responsible for the design of the Elvenking and the Wood-elves.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 7 2015, 4:56am)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2015, 2:21am

Post #30 of 31 (582 views)
Shortcut
someone, somewhere [In reply to] Can't Post

mentioned that the Japanese animators/designers might have a culturally different view of Elves (kind of like the fairly hideous "House orcs..uh...elves" in the beloved and excellent Harry Potter... in which I suspect JKR was trying to veer away from Tolkienish fantasy and do something unique).

I still think they needed to read the books. As in "fair of face beyond the measure of men"...

Studio Ghibli on the other hand, has given us some fantastically beautiful and classic animation and storytelling.

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Ml 'lain nallol, I sl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Member of Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 10 2015, 11:09am

Post #31 of 31 (565 views)
Shortcut
Interesting point... [In reply to] Can't Post

On the other hand, the Wood-elves of the animated movie remind me of German wood-cuts and illustrations, so I wouldn't necessarily blame the designs on the Topcraft folk.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.