Gender/race-swapped LOTR cast
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Annael
Immortal

Sep 16 2015, 2:15am

Post #1 of 31 (1804 views)
Shortcut
Gender/race-swapped LOTR cast Can't Post

This was kind of fun. Who would you cast?

http://bookriot.com/...apped-lotr-recast-2/

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Maciliel
Valinor

Sep 16 2015, 3:27am

Post #2 of 31 (1778 views)
Shortcut
i find recasting / gender-flipping interesting in general [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you for posting this. :)

i find recasting / gender-flipping interesting in general, even if i don't agree with the specific changes. and i don't here... the selections seemed very gimmicky and trendy to me, especially the hobbits.

shall we do a gender-swap recast here, on this thread? that might be fun.

cheers ---

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Annael
Immortal

Sep 16 2015, 6:22pm

Post #3 of 31 (1733 views)
Shortcut
what interests me [In reply to] Can't Post

is casting for movies set in the future. I would like to see a real effort to cast people who are obviously mixed-race (in other words, hard to pin down to one race) and perhaps also rather androgynous-looking in any movie set more than one century ahead of ours.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

squire
Half-elven

Sep 16 2015, 7:31pm

Post #4 of 31 (1725 views)
Shortcut
That's quite an effort. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just as with movies about the past, commercial movies about the future don't often dare to alienate the present-day audience completely. To see the past as it most likely was - or to speculate cleverly about the future, as you do - is to ask an audience to identify with people who look, act, and think in extremely alien and off-putting ways.

An analogy might be a foreign film without subtitles or dubbing. A few might try to decode the plot from the visuals alone, but most would walk out after a few minutes.

I remember 'The Forever War' (Joe Haldeman, ca. '70s) had fun with a future a few centuries from now when the government had promoted a social switch to homosexuality to control the birth rate. Our hero, an officer and unlikely battle survivor from the 20th century (i.e., an apparent 40 years old, but chronologically over 200 years old due to near-light-speed time dilation) is attracted to women. His soldiers, men and women both, call him the "Old Queer". I thought it was one of the better attempts by a sci-fi writer in my youth to make the future seem really different.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 17 2015, 12:37am

Post #5 of 31 (1698 views)
Shortcut
Well, those choices certainly are... ummm... bold...? // [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 17 2015, 12:48am

Post #6 of 31 (1700 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Suddenly, I am wondering what a LotR film trilogy would look like if directed by Akira Kurosawa.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Arthael
Lorien

Sep 17 2015, 2:15am

Post #7 of 31 (1692 views)
Shortcut
Some inspired choices! [In reply to] Can't Post

Future Middle Earth adaptions would certainly benefit from a mixed-race cast at a minimum. Gender-swapping, while not necessarily as interesting to me, could certainly lead to some creative and exciting interpretations.

Even before reading their cast list I conjured Idris Elba, but as Aragorn and not Arwen. Viggo owned that roll and I loved his performance, but I have no doubt Idris would be equally regal as the King in Exile.

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Arthael
Lorien

Sep 17 2015, 2:30am

Post #8 of 31 (1693 views)
Shortcut
Some gender-swapped ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

Theoden - Meryl Streep (a commanding screen presence with vulnerability)
Aragorn - Noomi Rapace (book-Aragorn, driven and undaunted, has what it takes to rule)
Eowyn - Chris Hemsworth (straw-headed, strong-headed beauty)
Faramir - Rashida Jones (wise for her age and gentle, but strong)
Borimir - Zoe Saldana (as the prouder, more arrogant sibling)
Gandalf - this is hard, because Hollywood on the whole hates women over 40. I'm struggling to name more than a handful. Damn our sexist cultural brainwashing!

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

squire
Half-elven

Sep 17 2015, 2:32am

Post #9 of 31 (1686 views)
Shortcut
Um. Gandalf = Judi Dench. Duh. // [In reply to] Can't Post

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

Arthael
Lorien

Sep 17 2015, 2:58am

Post #10 of 31 (1687 views)
Shortcut
Well said. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dignity and power incarnate!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 17 2015, 3:10am

Post #11 of 31 (1690 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf, gender-swapped [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Gandalf = Judi Dench. Duh.

Good. I like Helen Mirren better! Maybe Judi Dench for Théoden.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 17 2015, 3:11am)

squire
Half-elven

Sep 17 2015, 3:45am

Post #12 of 31 (1678 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, Theoden's taken. Can you say "Meryl Streep hai!" // [In reply to] Can't Post

squire online:

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 17 2015, 3:53am

Post #13 of 31 (1682 views)
Shortcut
Oh, so? [In reply to] Can't Post

I offered an alternative. Deal with it. Evil

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 17 2015, 1:49pm

Post #14 of 31 (1655 views)
Shortcut
I’ve always pictured [In reply to] Can't Post

Mariette Hartley as Ar-Pharazon the Golden Wink

Oh, there ain’t no Silmarillion movie . . . . yet?

“Nevermind!”
- Gilda Radner

How about Sammy Davis, Jr. as “The Eye of Sauron”
Sammy Davis photo Sammy.png
Oh, there ain’t no gender switch?
“Nevermind!”

I am sooo off topic... Crazy Tongue

"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once."
-John Wheeler

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 1 2015, 4:21pm

Post #15 of 31 (1337 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmmm..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo: Melissa McCarthy
Gandalf: Maggie Smith
Aragorn: Zoe Saldana
Sam: Rosie O’Donnell
Merry: Kirstie Alley
Pippin: Mo’Nique
Legolas: Emma Watson
Gimli: Margaret Cho
Boromir: Ziyi Zhang
Bilbo: Kathy Bates
Gollum: Naomi Grossman
Bombadil: Lady Gaga
Goldberry: Chris Hemsworth
Arwen: Colin Firth
Galadriel: Morgan Freeman
Celeborn: Gong Li
Saruman: Helen Mirren
Elrond: Rie Miyazawa
Theoden: Julie Christie
Eomer: Ming-Na Wen
Eowyn: David Wenham
Wormtongue: Tilda Swinton
Faramir: Miranda Otto
Denethor: Angelina Jolie
Treebeard: Whoopie Goldberg
Butterbur: Sandra Bullock
Rosie: Sean Astin

"Mister Frodo, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good frying pan at your side. I’ve been from one side of this garden to the other, I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Providence controlling everything. There's no Music of the Ainur that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 1 2015, 6:08pm

Post #16 of 31 (1328 views)
Shortcut
Okay, I'm LOLly' here. And may not stop until the kine come home :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

”. . . computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.”
- Popular Mechanics, 1949

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 1 2015, 6:16pm

Post #17 of 31 (1325 views)
Shortcut
But I'll not Cotton to Rosie O’Donnell [In reply to] Can't Post

playing Sam. Waaay too much screentime for these tired old eyes.

Praps Fatty Bolger?

And if Sandra Bullock's servin' at the Pony --- I'M THERE MAN!!

”. . . computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.”
- Popular Mechanics, 1949

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2015, 4:17pm

Post #18 of 31 (1237 views)
Shortcut
another Takei on that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Uncle George did a bit on why Star Trek had no LGBT characters. It was the 60s, and the South shut ST down just for a kiss between Kirk and Uhura (first interacial kiss on TV)...

George Takei appraoched Gene Roddenberry at one point and kind of skirted around the LGBT issues. We're talking a deeply closeted gay guy and a very progressive intellectual here...

Rodenberry basically said that he couldn't introduce a gay character, because he had to deal with civil rights, the Vietnam War and other social issues of the time, and to do that he had to stay on the air.

A ST exhibit at the Smithsonian Air and Space museum pointed out the relationship between the 60s and ST, how ST influenced the next decades and how the 60s influenced the kinds of stories being told.

Yet, indeed, there were limits on how far you could expect the audience to stretch.

http://time.com/3990410/george-takei-lgbt-star-trek/

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Member of Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2015, 4:23pm

Post #19 of 31 (1234 views)
Shortcut
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssss! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or Hiyao Miyazaki

bigger on the inside...

To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Member of Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2015, 4:27pm

Post #20 of 31 (1234 views)
Shortcut
bend it like Swinton [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm with you on Maggie Smith
Emma Watson
Zoe Saldana
and my fav martial arts woman: Ming-na Wen

I'd do Michelle Yeoh (Courching Tiger) as Boromir.

Chris Hemsworth as goldberry....

SlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySlySly

bigger on the inside...

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 6 2015, 4:50pm

Post #21 of 31 (1223 views)
Shortcut
As I recall.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...a lot of the first slash fiction was Kirk/Spock.

"Mister Frodo, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good frying pan at your side. I’ve been from one side of this garden to the other, I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Providence controlling everything. There's no Music of the Ainur that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2015, 5:25pm

Post #22 of 31 (1214 views)
Shortcut
oddly [In reply to] Can't Post

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssss!

But back then, in the Days Before the Interwebs, you had to go looking for fanfic in fanfic mags in the backs of real mags and send for them in the mail or find them at cons and stuff...

bigger on the inside...

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 6 2015, 5:51pm

Post #23 of 31 (1210 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. [In reply to] Can't Post

I recall Jacqueline Lichtenberg's early1970s "Kraith" fan-fic series. It did have some great ideas on how the rest of the galaxy was reacting to a Human dominated Federation, but it was also pretty "Mary Sue" (Between the female protagonist and Spock). I kinda lost interest when it started detailing the sex life between a dominant Amanda and a submissive Sarek.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 6 2015, 6:15pm

Post #24 of 31 (1208 views)
Shortcut
Studio Ghibli? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see Hayao Miyazaki playing around much with race or gender in an animated LotR (as much as he likes to have young girls as heroines). Do you know that the studio that animated the Rankin/Bass specials of The Hobbit and The Return of the King eventually evolved into Studio Ghibli?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 6 2015, 6:21pm

Post #25 of 31 (1209 views)
Shortcut
Yes. Yes it was... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...a lot of the first slash fiction was Kirk/Spock.

And I believe that it was Star Trek fan-fic that also saw the origin of (Ensign) Mary Sue. But it wasn't the fan-fic writers that Rodenberry had to be concerned with. Rather, it was the same sort of rednecks that got Robotech cancelled in Dallas, Texas for the inclusion of a bi-racial relationship.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.