Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
*Sigh* - the "good enough" job - WETA Thorin figure and Thranduil limited edition staff (sort of review)

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 15 2015, 10:24pm

Post #1 of 9 (1957 views)
Shortcut
*Sigh* - the "good enough" job - WETA Thorin figure and Thranduil limited edition staff (sort of review) Can't Post

So, I finally bit the bullet and bought the WETA Thorin figure, because while IMO this is not a dead-on likeness like WETA's Faramir figure, well, it's the only thing out there like it, and I wanted a nice Thorin figure.
The biggest thing I was worried about was an IMO poor paint job in the face, as these are production pieces and I had seen some figures where the eyebrows arched up so high, it looked like the actor Anthony Zerbe:

Obviously, not Thorin.

Anyway, tho, while I am happy enough with the paint job, I wasn't happy with the one flaw - the figure doesn't sit on its base peg all the way.

It wasn't something I had THOUGHT to be concerned about, as IMO, that's pretty basic, that any figure sits firmly on its base, and it's not as tho the WETA figure is cheapShocked. But IMO even a small gap like this is
a stress point on a brittle, hard material *frown* seeing as the peg is solid metal and the figure is heavy.

Re contacting WETA, I have been told that this kind of thing, from these images I sent and others, is "within the range of acceptable tolerances for polystone" - which mind you, most certainly doesn't show up in any item description. Also, there are no extra bases, as "each base is made with the figure" (tho at that point, I would like to know, how can you not notice a figure is not firmly seated to the base, but sort of floating above it?
And there was a quality sticker on the box.

As for Thranduil's limited edition staff - which I thought might be extra-special BECAUSE it was a limited edition - well, amber does come in a wide range of colors, from light yellow to black. But IMO in general, when one thinks of amber, people think of:

and not:

There are a few comments on the WETA shop site about the lightness of the amber in this staff - in any case for me, although using what looks like flakes of material to imitate the inclusions you see in amber was IMO pretty cleverHeart - really, how hard is it to tint resin, to a color we think more typically as amberUnimpressed? There is fake amber stuff everywhere done in resin or plastic. And the image on the WETA site shows a nice "amber" color even if it is photographed against black.

Contacting WETA, I was again told that the color is "within range".

So, OK, both pieces - the figure and the staff, IMO are OK to pretty good. Pretty good paint work on the figure, and I'm not sorry I own it now. The staff is "pretty good" too, like the fiberglass used to produce this, feels a bit "elastic" e.g. not all hard and brittle, nice paint job - the included bracket is more boring than I thought it would be (I expected some sort of little Elvish motif or something, but it's just a plain small bracket in black metal).

On the other hand, I can't say I am utterly blown away by my first "pricey" WETA piecesUnsure. Because, I sat on getting a Thorin for a long time, because I think the likeness is rather generic, and could be better IMO. But the issues I mention IMO aren't just slight paint variations - to me it's pretty basic that a figure - especially if the base is being made at the same time - is actually seated on the base.

And the staff - well, you can't tell from the images, but it is also a tad sloppy up at the top - paint or something - but most of all, this "amber" looks like modern day tree sap, and it's definitely yellow or yellow-gold, and I am baffled as to why that's OK, when the prototype image looks like amber colorUnsure. I suppose what bothers me the most, re these production pieces, is that with the "acceptable range" assumption - well - some folks out there no doubt bought exactly the same pieces, and theirs have no issues and/or are colored similar to the prototype. But mine aren't, and I had to pay the same price.

Well, anyway, the pieces are "OK enough" that I will deal with it. But. I had just bought something from an Asian E-bay seller, and that seller during the transaction was falling over himself to make sure I was happy, indicating I could contact him for any reason - I was impressed. WETA has been responsive, but I think unimpressed at my issues. And I guess I thought WETA WOULD fall over themselves, because to me these are pretty basic issues re production, and I would have sent both right back to the factory (especially the staff, to get the resin tinted to resemble the prototype especially being a limited edition) if I worked for WETA. In any case, there was no offer of anything - a coupon or something, tho I sort of did expect something, I guessUnsure. Like Amazon or Target will send you a duplicate piece and gives you 30 days to return the one you don't want, and so on.

Not a deal breaker for me, but does give me pauseUnimpressedUnsure - I was thinking of hopefully a few more dwarves, and such, when I could afford it - but, I think I will dial any plans like that down *sigh*. I'm a bit disappointed. A bit less inclined to spendUnsure. I don't want this to be a purely bash thread because if the pieces were BAD they would have already been on their way back, weeks ago. But these could be better, I think, without much effort on WETA's part. A while ago, someone in the graphics world told me "they" used the term "good enough job" for a lot of production, seeing as a lot of folks don't know the difference anyway.

I just didn't think WETA would think in those terms, especially as these are not cheap collectibles. And nobody IMO NEEDS collectibles. And I don't think my issues are unreasonable, overallFrown. *Sigh*. Oh, well, guess I will stuff something under Thorin's boot, and if I really feel like it use glass paint or something to color up the amber, and maybe get a crafter who works w. metal to pretty up the hanging bracket to something elvish-looking if I want. Just thought I'd post an honest review - overall, the pieces IMO get a "B" but I was SURE I'd be giving them an "A".

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Sep 16 2015, 1:05am

Post #2 of 9 (1939 views)
Shortcut
Must be a common issue [In reply to] Can't Post

My WETA Fili figure has the same problem. I think the gap is a little bigger than your example. It's noticeable and it irked me a bit but I was happy to have a replica Fili with nice details. As you said, the likenesses aren't perfect but it would probably be more difficult for them to replicate the faces better - probably making them even more expensive.

Justice for Fili

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 16 2015, 6:52pm

Post #3 of 9 (1908 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

My WETA Fili figure has the same problem. I think the gap is a little bigger than your example.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it - just be fair - because w. figures this heavy (my first so I didn't know re polystone) I just wanted it seated firmly on the base - after all, some day these figures may not be available, easily, anywhere except for many $$$$$$!Shocked

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Sep 16 2015, 8:04pm

Post #4 of 9 (1904 views)
Shortcut
Wow.. [In reply to] Can't Post

You sure are picky!

I'm afraid I agree with Weta on this one. The Thorin issue isn't something you'd really notice. I know these items are expensive, I have an extensive collection that I've been adding to since 2002, but there really are far more things in the world to concern oneself with.

'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'
'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 17 2015, 2:24am

Post #5 of 9 (1878 views)
Shortcut
I thought some folks would think that [In reply to] Can't Post

You sure are picky!

*Shrug*. On the other hand, IMO, I don't think these collectibles are inexpensive, for one thing. Since you mention other things in the world, yes, I could have given that same money to a charity, or saved it, and so on.Unimpressed But I am a NEW collector and I have seen rave reviews for WETA - so I thought I would post what I thought was a fair assessment of a product.

And I'd like to have the pieces around for a while - re the Thorin figure (or I imagine any polystone figure), it's not whether it's noticeable in this case - tho I noticed - it's having a hard material being stressed by a not-firmly-seated metal spike - the weight of the figure in theory IMO is supposed to be carried by the base, not floating on a spike like a brick on a railroad tie.

As for the staff - it's a nice thing, but a little sloppy on top, and I can't find any excuses for the "acceptable color" from the company's perspective really - being a limited edition there aren't that many of them, so as far as I can tell nobody could be bothered to tint the buckets of resin, really, to something that resembles the prototype (which is all you have to go by when you are buying by mail). Seeing as this is WETA who knows perfectly well what amber (in general) would look like - "amber colored resin" is a big feature in Thranduil's sets.

So no, I don't think I am being picky. It's not like I'm annoyed because one of the scales on Thorin's armour didn't get painted silver, or I think the paint on the staff is a little too dark. Not (I thought) from this company, and not at this price. They are nice pieces with some issues I don't think they should have had, coming from WETA, who I think knows better. I just wanted to be blown away, that's all, so I am a little more wary now. Especially as I wanted a second Thorin and was thinking about some other pieces *sigh*.

And why should I pay the same, when other folks I assume with luck get pieces that are "just right?"Unimpressed

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Sep 17 2015, 5:49am

Post #6 of 9 (1860 views)
Shortcut
You are right. [In reply to] Can't Post

At the end of the day, if you're buying these collectibles, you must be completely happy with the product.
As Weta seems happy with how it looks, I presume they haven't offered a replacement or discount? A few fans of Weta believe that they will make another version, armoured from the last film, so maybe you could return this one and get any newer one they do?
Also, I'd highly recommend getting Balin to go with him!

'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'
'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Sep 17 2015, 6:35am

Post #7 of 9 (1858 views)
Shortcut
The Weta Web Site Show Exactly What You Get [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't understand the complaint. If you don't like what you see in Weta's catalog, don't buy the stuff. If what you've received is not as advertised, talk to Weta Workshop about returning it.

You can clearly see in the pictures on the Weta Workshop web site that the polystone figurine of Thorin Oakenshield is supported by its armature, and does not fully rest on the base. (Which, in fact, is the right way to do it. If both the polystone and the metal armature are anchored to the rigid base, temperature fluctuations can cause the metal to contract, creating stress that can crack the polystone.)

You can also clearly see the color of the amber stone in Thranduil's staff. But, even a bit sillier, if you search the web for "Amber," among the pictures of Amber Heard, you will find that the color of the stone is quite precisely that depicted in the prop.

Darn. In the back of my mind, I'm once again hearing Bilbo telling Frodo about his chest of gold.

(This post was edited by CamdenMcAndrews on Sep 17 2015, 6:37am)

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 17 2015, 4:08pm

Post #8 of 9 (1835 views)
Shortcut
I'll disagree with that [In reply to] Can't Post

Because, in theory, then anyone who has any kind of figure made with this kind of material and support where the figure is firmly seated ought to send all their figures back, because it's a manufacturing flaw that their figure doesn't have an app. 1/32" to 1/4" inch gap when placed on the base spike. I don't believe that.Unimpressed

And I am gonna guess, with these kinds of materials, that contraction and expansion re temperature and humidity isn't much of a factor as the pieces are likely kept inside - unlike wood where in certain furniture a "floating" panel is a desirable feature - like w. some wood panel door and drawers, for instance. Also the figures don't attach permanently, they rest on the base, you don't glue them to the base (unless you want to I guess).

And yes, I am quite aware of the range of colors that amber can occur in, including a golden yellow shade. However, in as I mentioned, I believe a golden orange brown color is what generally what people think of when the term "amber" is mentioned and what is depicted as a prototype - and again, more puzzling since I can't imagine it's a big deal to tint resin.

Yes, if needed I can send things back, as I did with the broken Noble dwarf bookends and the DOS barrels figure which showed up with Thorin being pretty pale re the paint and a great big paint splotch mole by his eye - Amazon is great about exchanges (and I am not saying WETA isn't). And I am aware of the phrase "variations will occur" but frankly I am tired - not just with WETA - of what seems to be a way out for any company - of course variations will occur, but who gets to decided the "acceptable" variation?

Finally, since you mention why buy from them - as stated I was a first-time buyer of this kind of thing, so I didn't know what to expect. Which is why I posted, since there will be other first time buyers - especially re Thranduil's staff, there never seemed to be much online about it. Even now I would say if you love, love, Thranduil, and can tolerate a few things - POSSIBLY - go ahead and get it. It's a cool piece, even if you just love the woods - has a nature vibe to it.

As I mentioned, this wasn't a pure bash thread of WETA products, since I already owned some smaller things. There's a lot of good things about both pieces - the fiberglass and wood look to the staff - and it feels sturdy but a bit elastic, so it feels like quality - and the paint job on Thorin is very nice, especially around the hairline and clothing. I'd buy from WETA again, sure. I'm just less glassy-eyed about it than before, that's all.

(This post was edited by Avandel on Sep 17 2015, 4:14pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 17 2015, 4:47pm

Post #9 of 9 (1826 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Re WETA:

As Weta seems happy with how it looks, I presume they haven't offered a replacement or discount?

No, that was not offered for either piece - I wasn't "trolling" for that but I guess I am kind of spoiled re Amazon, Target, and even Overstock who are quick to replace or exchange or offer a discount.

It's hard to make a post that isn't black and white, bad or good - that says you are fairly happy, butUnimpressed. It's not that I wouldn't buy from WETA again and so it's good to hear about Balin. No way I could ever afford all the dwarves but I think LOL Thorin could use a friend or two for display. I had to leave Dain (that I had been thinking about) as while the piece looks great IMO like Smaug I just can't do it $$$$$ for a single piece.

WETA did say, since I was also nagging in my e-mails, about a another Thorin - (because if they came out with the dwarf charge w. say Kili, Fili, and Thorin maybe set between two shields - paint job or no, I'd buy that. Or even if you could buy the 3 each - maybe looking like the BOFA banner with the 3 of them in front of Erebor)

Anyway, all that was mentioned is that Thorin is a consideration but NOTHING IS SET yet. I was actually kind of bummed thinking there would be only one Thorin figure, everFrown. But that's not what was said eitherCrazy. But I guess I am not the only fan who is has favorites and all the barrel riders aren't even out yet + LOTR fans have wishes, too.

LOL I guess I could learn 3D software and make my own figure w. a 3D printer - it would only take, say, 15 years or so I imagine.Laugh

So I'll be keeping my Thorin and already have plans for the foot - I may even switch the base out one day and make a kind of diorama (I have family members who do train layouts, so maybe they can help).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.