The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
About the funeral running time...

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 14 2015, 8:19pm

Post #1 of 11 (3093 views)
Shortcut
About the funeral running time... Can't Post

I can't imagine a scene five minutes longer just with characters crying above the dwarves. So, I guess it will be very short.

I've heard that Gandalf will make a very emotional speech during that scene, so I think it will consume the whole time..

what do you think, folks?

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

Arannir
Valinor

Sep 14 2015, 8:32pm

Post #2 of 11 (3036 views)
Shortcut
Could be much more. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the funeral scene stuff such as the Arkenstone could be resolved as well as the fates of several characters, especially Dain and Bard.

I think when people talk the funeral scene here they often mean everything that could be included between the end of the battle and Bilbo leaving.

This potential material also includes some wild cards such as more on the gems of Lasgalen, Beorn getting additional scenes (maybe even carrying Thorin from the battlefield), Ori giving Bilbo his drawing or Bilbo planting the acorn.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Sep 14 2015, 8:35pm)

Gandalf the Green
Rivendell

Sep 14 2015, 9:16pm

Post #3 of 11 (2971 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it will be 20 minutes long.
There will be a final battle added in by PJ to make it a more exciting thing because PJ needs to turn everything up to eleven.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 14 2015, 9:22pm

Post #4 of 11 (2963 views)
Shortcut
Here's what I'd like to see [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to see about 5 - 7 minutes, with the camera panning the company (including Bilbo) and individual closeups of Thorin, Fili & Kili. I'd like to see Thorin with Orchrist and the Arkenstone, and then Gandalf's speech. I don't know why I want to see this, because I'll cry my eyes out!Unsure I also want to see Dain there, and for him to talk briefly to Bilbo before the Hobbit leaves. I don't really want Bilbo to plant the acorn there, I'd rather he plant it in his garden like he said he would, but if it happens oh well.

Yep, I will definitely cry my eyes outUnsure

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 14 2015, 9:28pm

Post #5 of 11 (2964 views)
Shortcut
Another thing I'd like to see [In reply to] Can't Post

is Ori giving Bilbo the drawing. I guess I'm just into sharing fanart today - wish I was half as talented as some of those Deviant Artists!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Sep 14 2015, 9:46pm

Post #6 of 11 (2933 views)
Shortcut
The shorter the better [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it can all be wrapped up in about two minutes. Anything longer and they'd be putting more emphasis on some of them in death than when they were alive. The movie, despite the 20 extra minutes, will probably still be fast paced and a long funeral scene would be out of place.

I hope Gandalf's speech covers how pointless their deaths were. If only those eagles would have shown up a few minutes earlier....

Justice for Fili

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Sep 14 2015, 10:16pm

Post #7 of 11 (2905 views)
Shortcut
"Thorin was proud king... -- Oh no, we forgot about the were-worms!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf then continues to shout his speech while Legolas jumps around on on everyone's heads, shooting the giant worms as they destroy Erebor. Luckily, just as everything seems to be at its worst, the eagles fly in and save the day. Credits.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 14 2015, 10:59pm

Post #8 of 11 (2869 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Gandalf then continues to shout his speech while Legolas jumps around on on everyone's heads, shooting the giant worms as they destroy Erebor. Luckily, just as everything seems to be at its worst, the eagles fly in and save the day. Credits.

Insert just before 'Luckily…':

Then Legolas vaults onto the back of a bat and emits X-ray bolts from his eyes at all and sundry badies, while simultaneously hewing with a knife and firing two arrows a second with his feet.

Wink

NManfredi
Rivendell

Sep 15 2015, 3:11am

Post #9 of 11 (2737 views)
Shortcut
I wish that is the case [In reply to] Can't Post

My personal wish is that some of these scenes you mention are included in the EE, either in the funeral scene or right after it. The flow of the final part of the movie could carry much more weight and significance having some of those scenes in.

Anyway, Peter is well known for delivering outstanding emotional scenes, and since this is the last goodbye to the most courageous Dwarves of the company... I think it will cary a lot of emotional weight.

Coming back to the topic, my guess is that the scene will last some 2-3 minutes to adjust to the runtime of the movie, but I wouldn't care it is short if the material is moving.

"Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing? So small a thing! And I have seen it only for an instant in the house of Elrond! Could I not have a sight of it again?"

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 15 2015, 8:12am

Post #10 of 11 (2632 views)
Shortcut
How long is a piece of string? [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's just 'crying above the dwarves' then it need not be very long at all. Less than a minute would do it. But they could use the scene in a number of ways:

The return of the Arkenstone to Thorin, if not by Bard (as he seems to be in Dale) then by someone else. Bilbo perhaps....

Thranduil (or someone else) laying Orcrist beside Thorin

Dain's accession as king - and the return of the necklace to Thranduil

A speech which salutes the dead, makes reference to the danger that has passed and points forward to the danger still to come.

None of these things is necessary, they're just possibilities. In that still image of the scene taken from one of the Chronicles books (and reflected in one of the drawings that appeared behind the credits of BotFA) it seems to have been a very elaborate scene and setting which would have been a bit wasted on a few seconds 'crying above the dwarves.'

But who knows - we'll just have to wait and see!

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Sep 15 2015, 10:03am

Post #11 of 11 (2565 views)
Shortcut
I LOVE THIS DRAWING! [In reply to] Can't Post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.