Two Towers Read Through- Chapter One
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

noWizardme
Half-elven

Sep 21 2015, 7:55pm

Post #76 of 82 (955 views)
Shortcut
A mile, maybe, from Parth Galen... [In reply to] Can't Post

“A mile, maybe, from Parth Galen in a little glade not far from the lake he found Boromir. He was sitting with his back to a great tree, as if he was resting. But Aragorn saw that he was pierced with many black-feathered arrows; his sword was still in his hand, but it was broken near the hilt; his horn cloven in two was at his side. Many Orcs lay slain, piled all about him and at his feet.”

So Aragorn might have to cover a mile to get to Boromir (more or less, depending upon whether Amon Hen is the same side of Parth Galen as Boromir's Glade, or whether it's the other way). How fast can a Ranger run? It would be a few minutes' run, I'd have thought.

I'd forgotten Boromir's broken sword! So quite likely he's ceased to be a threat to the orcs, and all he can do, propped against the tree and stuck full of arrows, is to blow a warning (or rallying call, or defiance, as one chooses). I can certainly imagine the hoots of derision as an Orc doubles back to silence that horn....

I think that's a better hypothesis than my earlier 2, myself....

~~~~~~

Join us for a read-through of The Two Towers (Book III of Lord of the Rings) in the Reading-Room - 13 September- 29 November 2015.
Schedule etc: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=864064#864064

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 21 2015, 9:20pm

Post #77 of 82 (948 views)
Shortcut
Yes, agreed, it depends [In reply to] Can't Post

on the relationship of Parth Galen, Amon Hen, and the Glade.

In Reply To
So Aragorn might have to cover a mile to get to Boromir (more or less, depending upon whether Amon Hen is the same side of Parth Galen as Boromir's Glade, or whether it's the other way). How fast can a Ranger run? It would be a few minutes' run, I'd have thought.

I’d always thought somewhat closer as Aragorn could “distinguish the harsh voices of Orcs.”.

If it was just voices and not ‘cries’ a mile would be pushing it methinks.

But what’s a furlong or two amongst friends, eh?

”. . . computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.”
- Popular Mechanics, 1949

noWizardme
Half-elven

Sep 22 2015, 5:08pm

Post #78 of 82 (928 views)
Shortcut
And meanwhile, in the confusion, Frodo and Sam get clean away.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only realised this week how close the orcs get to nabbing them. Maybe it's one of the closest calls of the whole adventure.

But thanks to the confusion and that all halflings probably look the same to orcs, both Saruman and Sauron are left assuming that Baggins was rescued by the Rohirrim, or has now had the Ring seized by some upstart Ring Lord.

~~~~~~

Join us for a read-through of The Two Towers (Book III of Lord of the Rings) in the Reading-Room - 13 September- 29 November 2015.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Sep 23 2015, 3:49pm

Post #79 of 82 (896 views)
Shortcut
That was quite a week! [In reply to] Can't Post

Many thanks to MirielCelebel for leading this discussion, and thanks to everyone who contributed so enthusiastically.

If anyone wants to post anything further here, please do go ahead (our threads go ever on and on, down from the post where they began).

Or you might like to join in the discussion of the next chapter, which is here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=872792#872792

If you are enthused by all this and would like to be a chapter leader in this mission...quest...thing, then there are some chapters later on that are looking for a chapter leader: follow the link in my Atarai-like footer to see which and when...

See you in Rohan, everyone!

~~~~~~

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 23 2015, 4:32pm

Post #80 of 82 (890 views)
Shortcut
I second the thanks to Miriel for leading! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a bit MIA as my left hand getting cut and stitched kept me from too much typing - but a great discussion all around. Cool

oliphaunt
Lorien

Sep 24 2015, 2:46pm

Post #81 of 82 (876 views)
Shortcut
Nought but wood...nice going [In reply to] Can't Post

"Perhaps that has all been archery work with Gimli standing ready with the axe in case they are seen and rushed. If so, that might explain why Gimli later tells Eomer that he's "hewn nought but wood since Moria": he's stood guard, but has not been needed while Legolas picks off isolated orcs sniper style."

Thanks! Even if the comment to Eomer is really an error, I can now believe your answer!

noWizardme
Half-elven

Sep 24 2015, 5:12pm

Post #82 of 82 (867 views)
Shortcut
I had fun imagining the scene from L& G's point of view [In reply to] Can't Post

As you say the comment to Eomer may just be a small error, but it's fun to make these fan theories!

I had fun imagining the scene from L& G's point of view. They set off to find Frodo. They see orcs in the woods, but they don't know what is going on - have the orcs caught Frodo? Do they need to try and sneak up on Frodo's captors & release him? Or is Frodo hiding in the woods nearby somewhere (in which case they have to worry about accidentally drawing the orcs towards him)? Either way it might be wise not to make a noise until it's clearer what is happening. So I imagine Legolas picking off orcs as needed, & if I were doing that I'd be glad to have a lookout making sure I didn't get surprised whilst concentrating on making a silent kill.

Then, I suppose, they hear Boromir's horn and sounds of fighting. They assume the action is thataway but again they don't want to make a noise until they find out how best to help.

So little chance for axe-work perhaps, & just maybe Tolkien meant exactly what he wrote in the dialogue with Eomer..

~~~~~~

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.