View Results (70 votes)

lionoferebor
Rohan

Sep 12 2015, 11:49pm

Post #1 of 20 (2311 views)
Shortcut
The exclusion of Dol Guldur Can't Post

I seem to have a thing for polls as of late. Crazy

Over on The Hobbit Movie Board another poster has started a thread about how the trilogy would have been better without the inclusion of Dol Guldur. Personally I am not huge a fan of the DG subplot, but at the same time I don't dislike it. If there are subplots (and characters) I could think of excluding from these films, DG isn't one of them.

This said do you feel The Hobbit trilogy would've been better if one of the following subplots was excluded:

Dol Guldur
Kili/Tauriel Romance
Legolas/Bolg feud
Other (please specify)

Or do you feel the trilogy is fine the way it is? Multiple answers allowed.

(This post was edited by lionoferebor on Sep 12 2015, 11:50pm)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 13 2015, 12:37am

Post #2 of 20 (2262 views)
Shortcut
Bolg, Azog and the Grossfest [In reply to] Can't Post

I have other quibbles (the characterizations of Radagast and Beorn - thankfully, my imagination still works fine for those) but I liked the attempt, if not quite fully the execution, to bring in the wider story of Middle Earth that Bilbo and the Dwarves were having their adventure in. So, Dol Guldur's inclusion per se doesn't bother me. I don't even mind having Tauriel around, romance with Kili and all, though I find myself wishing the relationship had been handled differently.

But the whole blood-feud thing between the Orcs and the Dwarves? A total distraction. PJ & Co proved you don't need an in-the-flesh enemy to heighten the dramatic tension in the LOTR trilogy; inserting them into TH seems like a big step backward.

And then there's the visual potty humor throughout TH. No thank you. The Trolls, Goblintown and Laketown are the primary loci for these offenses, and they're so bad, they're among the primary reasons I don't re-watch TH like I do LOTR. I suppose I should be relieved that these particular scenes tend to be the ones that get the most over-the-top dark color grading. I know it's not a subplot, more of a subtheme, but still. This is fantasy, not a slasher series.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 13 2015, 12:58pm

Post #3 of 20 (2214 views)
Shortcut
Kili/Tauriel, Legolas/Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually didn't mind the Kili/Tauriel "romance" until BOTFA came along. I thought it went full bore down the cliché road at that point and diminished the respect I had for both characters. (And don't get me started on Tauriel's dialogue in BOTFA...Tongue) I am also in the camp that insists that the heirs of Durin should die together, and the romance hampers that too.

As for Legolas/Bolg...as it turned out to be the stage for most of the OTT Legolas stuff, well, yuck. I had no problem with Legolas being in the Hobbit movies, but I thought the majority of the stunts were just too much. (Yes, I have my favorite Legolas moments--getting saved by Thorin during the barrel sequence, the climbing the falling stairs thing,Blush shooting the Goblins/Orcs coming after Thorin on the frozen river, and of course the return of Orcrist at a certain critical juncture!)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 13 2015, 2:16pm

Post #4 of 20 (2199 views)
Shortcut
Kili/Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel's interest in and concern for outsiders was legitimately interesting and Kili's fascination with Elf-maidens might have been an endearing quirk, but turning those elements into a love story was an unneeded distraction from the main plot.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Sep 14 2015, 1:53am

Post #5 of 20 (2145 views)
Shortcut
Kili and Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

was my least favourite of these. I wouldn't miss it at all.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Sep 14 2015, 2:58am

Post #6 of 20 (2128 views)
Shortcut
Alfrid! [In reply to] Can't Post

Honestly don't know why we couldn't just have the Master - Stephen Fry is very talented. I voted "other." But for the most part, I think the trilogy is fine the way it is; as much as I dislike Alfrid he does serve a purpose, just like Legolas does.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Sep 14 2015, 4:07am

Post #7 of 20 (2121 views)
Shortcut
All of the above, really! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Dol Guldur could have worked had they approached it differently...like the original "bridge" film that PJ and Del Toro talked about way back when. Kili/Tauriel was bad fan fiction, and the Legolas/Bolg feud ruined what should have been screentime for Beorn.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 14 2015, 2:40pm

Post #8 of 20 (2076 views)
Shortcut
Availability? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Honestly don't know why we couldn't just have the Master - Stephen Fry is very talented.

I am guessing that Fry was not available for the final round of major shooting, necessitating replacing the Master with his lackey once Lake-town was destroyed.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 14 2015, 4:55pm

Post #9 of 20 (2066 views)
Shortcut
More subplots! [In reply to] Can't Post

Enough for a multi-season "Game of Arkenstones" type adventure...quest...series..

CFGriffith
The Shire

Sep 14 2015, 5:13pm

Post #10 of 20 (2061 views)
Shortcut
I picked two [In reply to] Can't Post

I most definitely am not a fan of the "romance" (I was very disappointed they went there -- and not very well-written, sadly -- with a character I had such high hopes for and felt she was far more useful in other ways). As for "other" -- I didn't mind Legolas being in these films, but I really would have preferred less of him and similar "wasted time," and more of the actual characters from The Hobbit.

Annael
Immortal

Sep 14 2015, 5:34pm

Post #11 of 20 (2057 views)
Shortcut
Supersized Orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

I have made no secret of my dislike of PJ's tendency to supersize everything, and for me, the whole "pursuing orcs" arc was the worst example of that. It would have made much more sense to have the orcs be like the Moria orcs of FOTR - and I would have enjoyed the film a lot more without Azog, Bolg, and company.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Sep 14 2015, 5:49pm

Post #12 of 20 (2047 views)
Shortcut
Exactly.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Sep 25 2015, 5:38am

Post #13 of 20 (1757 views)
Shortcut
Kili/Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

I despised this subplot. It felt so ham-handed and poorly written and was a huge departure from canon. I had no objection to Tauriel as a character, at least in theory. She seemed pretty cool and it made sense to expand the nameless captain of the guard into an actual character and a foil for Thranduil and Legolas. But shoehorning your new female character into a romance plotline is such a condescending Hollywood move.

"This movie is all swords and weird creatures and stuff. We should put a love story in it for the ladies!" As if women don't like fantasy or can't be in a fantasy movie unless they're someone's love interest. Blurgh.

To be honest, of all the new subplots Peter Jackson added to the films, Dol Guldur is the only one I actually like. Probably because it's at least based on something Tolkien wrote (albeit summarized in an appendix) rather than just seeming like pure fan fiction or Hollywood pandering.

Could it have been improved in some ways? Sure. Could have done without the ghost-from-The-Ring version of Galadriel. Saruman could have been portrayed more heroic and less arrogant and officious. And Thrain's Wilhelm scream death scene was just laughable. But I loved watching the White Council in action and finally getting to see what Gandalf was doing all those times he disappeared in the book.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Sep 25 2015, 1:27pm

Post #14 of 20 (1737 views)
Shortcut
I could really live without [In reply to] Can't Post

the Legolas/Bolg feud but i liked the Kili Tauriel and Dol Guldur subplots very much.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Sep 28 2015, 8:00pm

Post #15 of 20 (1649 views)
Shortcut
yup [In reply to] Can't Post

though I love Tauriel as a character.... that's basically who I played in all the D&D games and living history I did in the 80s and 90s.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2015, 6:12am

Post #16 of 20 (1534 views)
Shortcut
Hard for me to say. [In reply to] Can't Post

I ended up voting for Dol Guldur though. I didn't like the Kili/Tauriel or Legolas/Bolg plotlines either (though Evangeline Lily did an admirable job with the material she was given), but I am okay in principle with fleshing out supporting characters to give a broader view of the events surrounding Bilbo. Given that we can't get inside Bilbo's head in a movie without narration (which, if it was coming from Bilbo himself, would also have been a change from the book), focusing so narrowly just on him might not have been as effective onscreen. However, I still think that adding the Dol Guldur and Sauron elements was a mistake and indicative of the misplaced priorities for the trilogy (making a LOTR prequel over adapting the book), and so I think cutting out Dol Guldur has to be a higher priority for me. It doesn't help that the DG subplot takes forever to go anywhere and ends with a really meager payoff.

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 28 2015, 11:37pm

Post #17 of 20 (1331 views)
Shortcut
All of the above. [In reply to] Can't Post

It didn't need any of them, and it would have been better to go smaller scale with the quieter, more intimate story that Tolkien wrote instead of trying to sex it up with flash and action.

Konrad S
Lorien

Oct 30 2015, 10:03am

Post #18 of 20 (1313 views)
Shortcut
Kili and Tauriel thing [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont even understand why they maked that love thing the book says nothing about Kili and a random Wood elf being inlove. Well its only bad that they have that in the Movie..

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 30 2015, 2:20pm

Post #19 of 20 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Adaptations [In reply to] Can't Post

There are times, Konrad, when one is adapting a story from one medium to another that the source material needs to be expanded upon. Granted, it can be argued that this is not one of those times.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 26 2015, 4:06pm

Post #20 of 20 (1169 views)
Shortcut
amen // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.