The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Daniel Reeve in New Jersey March 30, 07

Shadowfaxfan
Rivendell

Mar 10 2007, 5:18pm

Post #1 of 1 (1950 views)
Shortcut
Daniel Reeve in New Jersey March 30, 07 Can't Post

I posted this in the art section and thought I would post it here too!

Daniel is thrilled to be asked to appear as the keynote speaker at Thinking Creatively 2007, the annual conference of the Art Director's Club of New Jersey! This is a melting pot of the best art directors, designers and creative thinkers, local and international, in a two day event which bubbles with creative energy! Let those juices flow!
Thinking Creatively is on 30 - 31 March, 2007 at Kean University in Union, NJ, and will also include a mini exhibition of "The Art of Daniel Reeve".

CREATIVITY SPECIAL EVENT
MAIN STAGE PREVIEW / Meet Daniel Reeve
4:30pm-6:00pm
Daniel Reeve will be available before his presentation to sign books, chat, and personalize invitations to Bilbo Baggins birthday party.
Fees for the personalized invitation are paid directly to Daniel Reeve.
VISIT: http://www.danielreeve.co.nz/Merchandise/
FRIDAY, March 30
SPECIAL EVENING MAIN-STAGE
6:30pm – 7:30pm
"Where there's a Quill, there's a Way."
Daniel Reeve, Typographer, artist, and cartographer for Lord of the Rings, Narnia, King Kong
The Lord of the Rings: one of the great works of literature, and a major event in film history! The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe! King Kong! - two more blockbuster movies from New Zealand. Pirates of the Caribbean! Daniel Reeve, the artist responsible for all the typography, calligraphy, and cartography in these films, will take us behind the scenes, looking through the lens of his own involvement in these pieces of cinema history. We will see creativity, seat-of-the-pants ingenuity, craftsmanship, and why the humble quill still has a place in today’s high-tech productions. Why you make up the rules as you go!
Daniel Reeve is a freelance artist from New Zealand. He is most well known for the calligraphy and cartography on the film trilogy of The Lord of the Rings, but has also worked on Van Helsing, King Kong, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and Dead Letters (not yet released). His film work extends to the merchandise side of things as well, creating lettering, fonts, and other artwork and illustrations, not only for the film studios’ style guides, but also for the product licensees themselves - a set of illustrations for a Pirates of the Caribbean game is a recent example. In 2005 Daniel was involved in creating replicas of The Treaty of Waitangi, New Zealand's founding document, for an exhibition which traveled the length of the country. An ever-lengthening waiting list for commissioned work fills the gaps between movies, and when time permits, Daniel creates paintings, exhibiting from time to time with The New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts and with Watercolour NZ, in Wellington. Daniel’s paintings are represented in private collections in New Zealand, United Kingdom and South Africa, and in New Zealand’s Parliament.
Visit: http://www.danielreeve.co.nz/
On Friday, March 30, Daniel will also be part of a “Meet-and-Greet” session before his evening presentation. It will give conference guests the opportunity to say hello the artist and browse his work, and give everyone a chance to commission a personalized piece of Daniel’s calligraphy, such as reproductions of Bilbo Baggins’ birthday party invitation, as seen in The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
The Meet-and-Greet session will begin at 4:30pm, followed by the presentation at 6:30pm.
SATURDAY, MARCH 31
WELCOME & REGISTRATION
9:00am – 10:00am
Kean University Center / Atrium
Mini-Exhibition: Lettering Lord of the Rings: The Art of Daniel Reeve
Main-stage presentations are held in the Little Theatre (first floor).
Breakout sessions are held in the Little Theatre and Conference Rooms (second floor); Conference rooms have limited enrollment, 70 participants per session. Little Theatre is limited to 225.

The repetition, the doubling and the long strands of interconnected narrative all mean something. They say that life is a series of cycles, and that we will likely meet the same kinds of archetypal guardians, opponents and allies at various stages along the way. But the nature of the conflicts changes as you age and grow over the span of an epic. Reading 'The Lord of the Rings' in my 20s, I was inspired by its idealism, but also terrified by its vision of middle life and old age as a patient, plodding struggle against the mundane grinding of evil. Seeing the movie meant something else to me from my current perspective, around the corner of age fifty, reminding me that the raw intensity of youthful dreams still has purity and power. At the same time, I felt the death of comrades in the movie keenly, for comrades have started to fall around me, and I looked to the story for the courage to continue the struggle without them.~As the legend says, 'One Ring to rule them all and in the darkness bind them.' We were certainly bound in the darkness, me and that afternoon's audience for the first chapter of 'The Lord of the Rings,' fellow travelers on a long journey together, seeking meaning for our shadowed world in the mirror of a myth, just as humans have always done.~Christopher Vogler

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.