Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
What's one of your favorite Tolkien quotes/passages?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 3 2015, 12:24am

Post #1 of 21 (4393 views)
Shortcut
What's one of your favorite Tolkien quotes/passages? Can't Post

Please share a favorite and also why you like it or why it stands out for you.

This month I'll go with Saruman using his Voice on Gandalf:

So great was the power that Saruman exerted in this last effort that none that stood within hearing were unmoved. But now the spell was wholly different. They heard the gentle remonstrance of a kindly king with an erring but much-loved minister. But they were shut out, listening at a door to words not meant for them: ill-mannered children or stupid servants overhearing the elusive discourse of their elders, and wondering how it would affect their lot. Of loftier mould these two were made: reverend and wise. It was inevitable that they should make alliance. Gandalf would ascend into the tower, to discuss deep things beyond their comprehension in the high chambers of Orthanc. The door would be closed, and they would be left outside, dismissed to await allotted work or punishment. Even in the mind of Théoden the thought took shape, like a shadow of doubt: ‘He will betray us; he will go – we shall be lost.’

Then Gandalf laughed. The fantasy vanished like a puff of smoke.

I love the buildup of tension in that paragraph, as everyone, even Theoden who's just resisted the Voice, falls under its spell, step by step. Then we're smashed in the face with Gandalf's laughter and yanked back to reality.

The way that a simple laugh dispelling doubt is reminiscent of Galadriel after she's passed the test at her Mirror:

Then she let her hand fall, and the light faded, and suddenly she laughed again, and lo! she was shrunken: a slender elf-woman, clad in simple white, whose gentle voice was soft and sad.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 3 2015, 2:42am

Post #2 of 21 (4354 views)
Shortcut
Personal eucatastrophes [In reply to] Can't Post

and that use of buildup to tension...ending with unexpected softness. Reminds me of Strider at the Pony:

"If I had killed the real Strider, I could kill you. And I should have killed you already without so much talk. If I was after the Ring, I could have it - NOW!"
He stood up and suddenly seemed to grow taller. In his eyes gleamed a light, keen and commanding. Throwing back his cloak, he laid his hand on the hilt of a sword that had hung concealed by his side. They did not dare to move. Sam sat wide-mouthed staring at him dumbly.
"But I am the real Strider, fortunately," he said, looking down at them with a face softened by a sudden smile. "I am Aragorn, son of Arathorn; and if by life or death I can save you, I will."

In this passage, its similar to Galadriel, where there is also a physical action that mesmerizes the small Hobbits (them, our proxy in the book, and us reading along) and then ... relaxes, and unexpected warmth shines through.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 3 2015, 3:30am

Post #3 of 21 (4350 views)
Shortcut
Gets my blood pumping [In reply to] Can't Post

Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them. Éomer rode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed, and the front of the first éored roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Théoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the city.

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 3 2015, 12:56pm

Post #4 of 21 (4310 views)
Shortcut
Great find, Breth! [In reply to] Can't Post

And now I realize how JRR, ever the environmentalist, recycles the same device several times. Think of Faramir mesmerizing/daunting Frodo & Sam at Henneth Annun when speaking of taking the Ring from them. Then poof, it's over, and he's kindly again.

Though Tollkien recycles the scene, it doesn't get old or feel repetitive. It's more about a recurring theme abouit the juxtaposition off perilous power and human/elvish decency, with the latter triumphing over the former.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 3 2015, 12:57pm

Post #5 of 21 (4309 views)
Shortcut
Mine too [In reply to] Can't Post

I swear, I could be in a coma, and someone could read that passage by my hospital bed, and I would wake up and look for my weapons and sword to follow Thedoen. Very inspiring passage.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 3 2015, 1:59pm

Post #6 of 21 (4308 views)
Shortcut
“Tell me, who are you, alone, yourself and nameless?” [In reply to] Can't Post

The most profound passage in all of Tolkien, if not in all of Western culture.

"We’re orcs of the Misty Mountains,
Our singing’s part of canon.
We do routines and chorus scenes
While dancing with abandon.
We killed Isildur in the Gladden,
To help Sauron bring Armageddon!"
-From "Monty Python and the One Ring"

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 3 2015, 3:39pm

Post #7 of 21 (4295 views)
Shortcut
Another favorite, of a most dissimilar bent… [In reply to] Can't Post

From The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen:

Lady Undomiel . . . ask whether you would indeed have me wait until I wither and fall from my high seat unmanned and witless. . . . Now, therefore, I will sleep. . . .
In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! We are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory, Farewell!

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Sep 5 2015, 3:52am

Post #8 of 21 (4226 views)
Shortcut
Two of my favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

Both happen to be from Book III, but this is what came to mind.

"The Road to Isengard":

'You should be glad, Theoden King,' said Gandalf. 'For not only the little life of Men is now endangered, but the life also of those things which you have deemed the matter of legend. You are not without allies, even if you know them not.'

'Yet also I should be sad,' said Theoden. 'For however the fortune of war shall go, may it not so end that much that was fair and wonderful shall pass for ever out of Middle-earth?'

'It may,' said Gandalf. 'The evil of Sauron cannot be wholly cured, nor made as if it had not been. But to such days we are doomed. Let us now go on with the journey we have begun!'

I've always found this to be very poignant and apt summary of one of the major themes of LOTR. Theoden is great throughout this chapter too.

"The Riders of Rohan":

They followed their enemies now by the clear light of day. It seemed that the Orcs had pressed on with all possible speed. Every now and again the pursuers found things that had been dropped or cast away: food-bags, the rinds and crusts of hard grey bread, a torn black cloak, a heavy iron-nailed shoe broken on the stones. The trail led them north along the top of the escarpment, and at length they came to a deep cleft carved in the rock by a stream that splashed noisily down. In the narrow ravine a rough path descended like a steep stair into the plain.

At the bottom they came with a strange suddenness on the grass of Rohan. It swelled like a green sea up to the very foot of the Emyn Muil. The falling stream vanished into a deep growth of cresses and water-plants, and they could hear it tinkling away in green tunnels, down long gentle slopes towards the fens of Entwash Vale far away. They seemed to have left winter clinging to the hills behind. Here the air was softer and warmer, and faintly scented, as if spring was already stirring and the sap was flowing again in herb and leaf. Legolas took a deep breath, like one that drinks a great draught after long thirst in barren places.

'Ah! the green smell!' he said. 'It is better than much sleep. Let us run!'

'Light feet may run swiftly here,' said Aragorn. 'More swiftly, maybe, than iron-shod Orcs. Now we have a chance to lessen their lead!'

Tolkien has a lot of great physical descriptions but this one is probably my favorite. In part because I really like the setting of Rohan.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Sep 5 2015, 3:53am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 6 2015, 1:07am

Post #9 of 21 (4169 views)
Shortcut
Recurring theming and staging [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Though Tollkien recycles the scene, it doesn't get old or feel repetitive. It's more about a recurring theme abouit the juxtaposition off perilous power and human/elvish decency, with the latter triumphing over the former.

as both Galadriel and Strider both have kinetic power in those scenes...that you really see and feel, followed by warmth.

'Recycling'. Wink Excellent. A man ahead of his time.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Sep 6 2015, 9:12am

Post #10 of 21 (4143 views)
Shortcut
"Generous deed should not be checked by cold counsel" [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf to Pippin, in Minas Tirith, Ch 1 of Book V (Return of the King). They are discussing Pippin's interview with Denethor, during which Pippin spontaneously enlisted as a soldier of Gondor.

Why I like it?

Sounds like wise advice generally.

Sounds like an authentic traditional saying, though I expect Tolkien made it up - I think he plants several such aphorisms, and they sound entirely plausible as traditional sayings. Sometimes authors try to 'update' real life sayings (e.g. a science-fiction story in which someone exclaims "what in space?" for "What on Earth?" - that usually sounds unbelievable to me).

Tolkien just can't help coming out oratorical and alliterative, can he? I think the satisfying sound of it adds to the impression that its a real traditional saying.

I think one could argue that this is a theme in Middle-earth - great things often turn on spontaneous generous acts. As examples, Pippin could not later thwart the murder of Faramir unless he had enlisted (though, arguable, the flip side is that Gandalf is not on the battlefield to save Theoden). Similarly Bilbo, then Frodo and then finally Sam spare the life of Gollum, though each might calculate that it would be safer to kill him. And Gollum turns out to have a unique role to play... As a last example, at the breaking of the fellowship, Aragorn chooses to try to rescue Merry and Pippin from what looks like certain torture and death, rather than to track Frodo and Sam. And again, that is an important choice.

~~~~~~

Join us for a read-through of The Two Towers (Book III of Lord of the Rings) in the Reading-Room - 13 September- 29 November 2015.
Schedule etc: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=864064#864064

noWizardme
Half-elven

Sep 13 2015, 5:36pm

Post #11 of 21 (3953 views)
Shortcut
I sometimes think... [In reply to] Can't Post

I should mark each page of LOTR on which I've found a favourite quote. Over time the marks would mount up; then I'd read the unmarked pages with new attention and find new favourites. And so on...

~~~~~~

Join us for a read-through of The Two Towers (Book III of Lord of the Rings) in the Reading-Room - 13 September- 29 November 2015.
Schedule etc: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=864064#864064

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 14 2015, 12:46am

Post #12 of 21 (3937 views)
Shortcut
Probably the only place I wouldn't find a favorite quote is [In reply to] Can't Post

the index.

And I'll just say "probably."

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 14 2015, 1:05am

Post #13 of 21 (3930 views)
Shortcut
I think *you* should lead that long-awaited Index discussion. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Probably the only place I wouldn't find a favorite quote is the index.

And I'll just say "probably."

squire
Half-elven

Sep 14 2015, 2:21am

Post #14 of 21 (3925 views)
Shortcut
I got a million of 'em, but here's one I don't usually bring out [In reply to] Can't Post

The others cast themselves down upon the fragrant grass, but Frodo stood awhile still lost in wonder. It seemed to him that he had stepped through a high window that looked on a vanished world. A light was upon it for which his language had no name. All that he saw was shapely, but the shapes seemed at once clear cut, as if they had been first conceived and drawn at the uncovering of his eyes, and ancient as if they had endured for ever. He saw no colour but those he knew, gold and white and blue and green, but they were fresh and poignant, as if he had at that moment first perceived them and made for them names new and wonderful. In winter here no heart could mourn for summer or for spring. No blemish or sickness or deformity could be seen in anything that grew upon the earth. On the land of Lórien there was no stain. - LotR II.6

It took me a while, but over the years I realized this passage is one of the most explicitly-framed collisions of the First Age and the Third Age in the entire LotR. And the odd thing is, I think, that Tolkien could not have written this within The Silmarillion, in all the decades he spent writing it, before he moved on to The Lord of the Rings. The awareness of Faerie that Frodo experiences takes its power from the fact the Frodo is, in many ways, not of Faerie himself. He is, at this point, a stand-in for the reader, for a bourgeois Englishman of the early 20th century (and his close descendants, us!). And here he enters the world of The Silmarillion, newly created and original for the Elves and yet preserved, thousands of years later, in Lothlorien by the virtue of the Ring of Galadriel.

I'm less sure about this, but I also suspect this passage is a reference to the theories of Tolkien's friend Owen Barfield, He speculated that ancient peoples did not distinguish between the thing and the word for the thing, so that language was itself the experience rather than a retelling. Thus Frodo's impression that he had made words for his sensory feelings at the same instant that he had the sensory feelings.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Maciliel
Valinor

Sep 15 2015, 2:33pm

Post #15 of 21 (3841 views)
Shortcut
there are +so+ many that strike a chord [In reply to] Can't Post

there are so many that strike a chord... but this one always seems to pop into my head very quickly, when asked this question...

"wake that sluggard, fatty!"

frequently evokes a laugh, and pretty much always a chortling smile.

sometimes the simple things can be the most powerful.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Sep 15 2015, 2:34pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 15 2015, 4:14pm

Post #16 of 21 (3828 views)
Shortcut
Owen Barfield moments [In reply to] Can't Post

From "Inside Information": "To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all. There are no words left to express his staggerment, since Men changed the language that they learned of elves in the days when all the world was wonderful."

Tolkien himself stated that this segment related to Barfield's ideas. I'd never put two-and-two together before, comparing the Lorien scene to this one - but I do believe you're correct, Tolkien is being "barfieldien" with us in both!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 16 2015, 1:43am

Post #17 of 21 (3812 views)
Shortcut
No, only Elaen can do the Index justice. I wouldn't dare touch it. // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 16 2015, 1:46am

Post #18 of 21 (3814 views)
Shortcut
What I find funny [In reply to] Can't Post

is that they are able to call their friend "Fatty" to his face, and it doesn't provoke resentment. It says something about the innocence of the Shire that you could use names like that with your friends and not cause any harm.

Maciliel
Valinor

Sep 16 2015, 2:09am

Post #19 of 21 (3807 views)
Shortcut
i think fatness in the shire... [In reply to] Can't Post

i think fatness in the shire was (if anything) a sign of contentment and abundance. i think most hobbits were probably a bit pudgy (if not off on adventures).

while accepting of that physical characteristic, many don't seem very accepting of behavior they consider odd -- like swimming, boating, a curiosity about things outside the shire.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Valinor

Sep 16 2015, 2:10am

Post #20 of 21 (3806 views)
Shortcut
they seem also [In reply to] Can't Post

they seem also to be accepting of sluggards.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 16 2015, 11:06pm

Post #21 of 21 (3755 views)
Shortcut
Not even with your index finger? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.