First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 3 2015, 7:35am

Post #1 of 39 (4686 views)
Shortcut
List of Bonus Materials for BOTFA SEE Can't Post

Hello,

The listing at Japanese Amazon did not only reveal the look of the DVD boxset, but also contains all the bonus featrures! Alas, in Japanese. A forum user from the German LOTR forum, Malare, managed to decipher them. I translated them from German into English as well I could. Maybe someone who knows Japanese can correct me. Here we go.

1. the dark lord of the dol guldur fortress

2. fire and water. smaug's attack

3. the shadow of the mountain. stone and pillar, the lifeline of the lonely mountain

4. after the dragon dies - lake pukaki

5. gathering of the clouds - erebor

6. parting of the ways - end of shooting

7. the clouds blow away - dale

8. end of thorin's life - the ravenhill

9. attack from the gate - pickup shoots at erebor

10. old nest

11. the world of middle-earth (goal/future/remains of the defining battle]

- as the thunder booms - assembling the five armies - the denizens of middle-earth - the world of the third age - farewell friends/comrades!

- tribute to andrew lesnie

- locations in middle-earth - new zealand's landscapes part 3

Edit: I see, the Japanese characters didn't make it. The list can be seen under the Amazon.jp link above.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Sep 3 2015, 7:38am)

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Sep 3 2015, 8:27am

Post #2 of 39 (4492 views)
Shortcut
Finally something about Dol Guldur [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank god Angelic

adt100
Rohan

Sep 3 2015, 9:13am

Post #3 of 39 (4451 views)
Shortcut
From the BBFC.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Curiously only ratings for some of the features from the EE have made it to the site, and still not the main feature itself. 4 of the features official titles on the UK version are listed below (numbers I've added to correspond to yours)...

3. THE APPENDICES PART 11 THE GATHERING STORM: THE CHRONICLES OF THE HOBBIT - PART 3: UNDER THE SHADOW OF THE MOUNTAIN - ROCK & PILLAR

4. IN THE WAKE OF THE DRAGON - LAKE PUKAKI

5. THE APPENDICES PART 11 THE GATHERING STORM: THE CHRONICLES OF THE HOBBIT PART 3: THE GATHERING OF THE CLOUDS - EREBOR - MAY - JUNE 2012

7. THE CLOUDS BURST - DALE - JUNE 2013

ANDREW LESNIE REMEMBERED

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2015, 11:11am

Post #4 of 39 (4348 views)
Shortcut
So we can assume that this new treatement as a dark lord is hinting something more? [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont know why they give the dark lord tittle only to a flaming eye , pretty sure that there is going to be more Sauron in the EE

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

Thrain II
Lorien

Sep 3 2015, 11:19am

Post #5 of 39 (4338 views)
Shortcut
Dol Guldur [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope that part will be lengthy, we didn't have anything about it yet.

I wonder what is old nest, maybe Smaugs gold pile?

I really hope there will be Christopher Lee tribute also.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Sep 3 2015, 12:14pm

Post #6 of 39 (4276 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

In the Dol Guldur chapter we will have the tribute to Christopher Lee becuse it is the only scene that have him in and If they are going to talk about Sarumans role in the film than this is the perfect moment for it here

DjU
Lorien

Sep 3 2015, 12:17pm

Post #7 of 39 (4261 views)
Shortcut
Run times [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Curiously only ratings for some of the features from the EE have made it to the site, and still not the main feature itself. 4 of the features official titles on the UK version are listed below (numbers I've added to correspond to yours)...

3. THE APPENDICES PART 11 THE GATHERING STORM: THE CHRONICLES OF THE HOBBIT - PART 3: UNDER THE SHADOW OF THE MOUNTAIN - ROCK & PILLAR

4. IN THE WAKE OF THE DRAGON - LAKE PUKAKI

5. THE APPENDICES PART 11 THE GATHERING STORM: THE CHRONICLES OF THE HOBBIT PART 3: THE GATHERING OF THE CLOUDS - EREBOR - MAY - JUNE 2012

7. THE CLOUDS BURST - DALE - JUNE 2013

ANDREW LESNIE REMEMBERED

Just to add to adt100 post the run times of those parts of the THE CHRONICLES OF THE HOBBIT. (Including one extra one)

3. THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES EXTENDED EDITION - UNDER THE SHADOW OF THE MOUNTAIN - ROCK & PILLAR - 17m 8s

4. THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES EXTENDED EDITION - IN THE WAKE OF THE DRAGON - LAKE PUKAKI - 26m 11s

5. THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES EXTENDED EDITION - THE GATHERING OF THE CLOUDS - EREBOR - MAY - JUNE 2012 - 28m 46s

7. THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES EXTENDED EDITION - THE CLOUDS BURST - DALE - JUNE 2013 - 28m 26s

8. THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES EXTENDED EDITION - A LAST DESPERATE STAND - RAVENHILL - JUNE 2013 - 28m 47s

THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES - EXTENDED EDITION - ANDREW LESNIE REMEMBERED - 4m 27s

xxxyyy
Rohan

Sep 3 2015, 3:58pm

Post #8 of 39 (4035 views)
Shortcut
I hope so... for the sake of my mental sanity. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lissuin
Valinor

Sep 3 2015, 4:59pm

Post #9 of 39 (3957 views)
Shortcut
Bonus materials indeed a bonus. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks once again, Hutt, for this news.

When I wish for more than 20 extra minutes of film in the EE, for The Hobbit to go on just a few more minutes here..and there...and everywhere, I will remind myself of the hours, days, weeks I spent enthralled by the bonus material for LOTR - and that the people in Miramar are doing it again...for us, the hardcore fans that we are. Yeah, that makes me sound sappy, and that's exactly how I feel, a bit choked up here, and so grateful, a very good word. We seek out any letter or illustration from the pen of Professor Tolkien, may his memory be blessed, in the hopes of understanding the creative process which produced his writings. The gang responsible for producing these six films have delighted in leaving us a great big wide trail to discover their own creative process. How generous. How engaging. How fun are those folks!

Don't bother knocking on November 17. Just come in and sit down with me, quietly. And bring cookies.
Cheers!
Smile

DjU
Lorien

Sep 3 2015, 5:23pm

Post #10 of 39 (3916 views)
Shortcut
Small error [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
9. attack from the gate - pickup shoots at erebor

10. old nest

- as the thunder booms - assembling the five armies - the denizens of middle-earth - the world of the third age - farewell friends/comrades!

- tribute to andrew lesnie

- locations in middle-earth - new zealand's landscapes part 3

Edit: I see, the Japanese characters didn't make it. The list can be seen under the Amazon.jp link above.

I think there is a small error in your translation although nothing of any major note - and the error may have happened when it was translated into German in the first instance.

But on the Amazon.jp listing Item 11. is End Credits. The thing you have listed as 11 is on another line after another bullet point - so likely a separate feature after the 'Chronicles Part 3' bit.

An extremely crude an dodgy Babel-fish shows it as (I've left the awful translations but formatted it as it was on the Japanese site)

9. additional shooting in sortie Erebor from the gate-7/2013
10. under the old-7/26/2013
11. end credits

- In-world "decomposition" decisive battle"series
To roars of Thunder-5 military buildup / in one world and country dwellers who / 3's farewell, friend!
Tribute to Andrew lesnie to prevent / treasured picture collections / end credits
- During one stage of the country: New Zealand scene Part3
- Notice editing

(This post was edited by DjU on Sep 3 2015, 5:24pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 3 2015, 7:27pm

Post #11 of 39 (3776 views)
Shortcut
I'm gonna try to skip a couple of things [In reply to] Can't Post

For me. Not saying other people shouldn't watch, and usually I devour the Appendices multiple times, but a few things I just don't want to know that much detail.Unimpressed

Like Bombur in the river at DOS and how that was done - I really don't want to know, it's too much fun.Laugh

Here, I'll skip the Thorin/Azog stuff, Thorin's end, and all that, tho I am not radical about it and the images are online here and there anyway. Maybe even Bard at Laketown too. For one thing, Ravenhill is just IMO too epic visually, I don't need my vision spoiled by green screens and crew wandering around.

First time I saw this I got chills at the beauty of it - anyway I want to keep some of my illusionsCoolTongue

But happy to wander through more details of Dale, and Dol Guldur, and plenty I will watch - frame by frame, probably.Cool

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2015, 11:56pm

Post #12 of 39 (3565 views)
Shortcut
I think that's quite a leap. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron is simply known as the dark lord.

PS u would also note that he is shown in a number of forms, not just the eye.

Withywindle
Bree

Sep 4 2015, 3:18pm

Post #13 of 39 (3434 views)
Shortcut
Questions [In reply to] Can't Post

10. old nest

What does old nest mean?

Goal? Future? What???

DjU
Lorien

Sep 4 2015, 5:13pm

Post #14 of 39 (3350 views)
Shortcut
No one knows [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
10. old nest

What does old nest mean?

No one really knows yet as that is merely a rough translation - Japanese -> German -> English

But the only major clue is the 'July 26, 2013' date that is attached to that segment of the Chronicles.
That and its placement in the order indicates it is about a section of the film that was shot at the end of pickups in 2013.

Three other translations using popular online translation tools give the following very crude translations
'The original 2005/2006'
'The original of old haunt'
'The former home of the original'

My own hunch is it could be a brief bit about Gundabad - but then again the filming of that would have just been a lot of Green Screen and a big rock, and about 4 seconds long!

Dwarewien
Rohan

Sep 4 2015, 10:25pm

Post #15 of 39 (3212 views)
Shortcut
I'm not too fond of what happens to Thorin at Ravenhill either... [In reply to] Can't Post

(or Fili and Kili, for that matter) but I'll watch it anyway, regardless. I'll just have a box of tissues (and chocolate) ready. I'm curious about how they do everything, so I don't skip bonus features just because I don't like what happens to my favorite character (which will be not happening in any of my fan fiction stories, I can tell you that right now. I even put it in my profile on Ao3, since I take fic requests). After I have all the movies in a trilogy, I watch them in order anyway, so it will take me a while to get back to BoFA (and I watch the bonus features every time, not just once). Since I still can't afford to upgrade to Blu-ray (if only HDTVs weren't so expensive, since they cost as much as my rent, if not more), I'll be buying the DVD.Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Sep 5 2015, 1:35am

Post #16 of 39 (3152 views)
Shortcut
Been waiting so long for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I already have the discs on order and my tickets for the showing in the theater!

I have a pretty nice monitor on my computer, so I watch Blu-ray on it, using Power DVD. The difference between DVD and Blu-ray can be astonishing. (But I still daydream of having a home theater with high-definition everything, just to watch these films! Well... and maybe the Andy Serkis monkey movies. And Tintin. And Lawrence of Arabia. And...)

It's sad to think that this is the end of all things; but at least we can watch the films and all the appendices and production diaries again and again! :)

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Sep 5 2015, 2:54am

Post #17 of 39 (3133 views)
Shortcut
International release dates [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed that Japanese Amazon lists a date of November 25. Is there any list that shows all the known dates for various territories? Just curious. Smile

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

makingstarwars
Bree

Sep 5 2015, 2:59am

Post #18 of 39 (3133 views)
Shortcut
lesnie gets a tribute but not lee [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to say his loss was less tragic but why not honor both if you are to honor one

makingstarwars
Bree

Sep 5 2015, 3:11am

Post #19 of 39 (3122 views)
Shortcut
very disappointed in this ee [In reply to] Can't Post

First it fails to meet the required 3 hour runtime now no Christopher lee tribute

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Sep 5 2015, 5:02am

Post #20 of 39 (3086 views)
Shortcut
Disappointing [In reply to] Can't Post

The only reason I can think of is that they were already finished (or nearly finished) with the bonus features when he died, and they didn't have time to make anything. Someone more familiar with the process could probably shed some light on this, but I'm pretty sure they finish up the content for the EE's much earlier than their releases.

CamdenMcAndrews
Rivendell

Sep 5 2015, 5:58am

Post #21 of 39 (3062 views)
Shortcut
Andrew Lesie Was a Close Friend to Folks in Wellington [In reply to] Can't Post

The five-minute tribute to Andrew Lesnie is the film crew remembering a close friend, not just a puff piece to honor someone who died. Others have already made and probably will continue to make biographical films about Andrew Lesnie and his life's work; this little bit is personal.

Christopher Lee was an actor who didn't even travel to New Zealand for his supporting role in the Hobbit films. A few folks (including Peter Jackson) knew him reasonably well, but most of the crew hadn't even seen him in more than a decade, at the end of pickups for The Return of the King.

Andrew Lesnie was close to all the folks in Wellington and one of Peter Jackson's best friends. He actively participated in not only all of the Lord of the Rings movies but also was the cinematographer for King Kong, Lovely Bones, and Rise of the Planet of the Apes. He died young and his sudden death came as a shock to all his friends, completely unexpected.

And, for what it's worth, his was the only cinematographer whose name I've ever known or bothered to know.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 5 2015, 10:25am

Post #22 of 39 (2986 views)
Shortcut
Required 3 hour runtime? [In reply to] Can't Post

Required by whom? Films last as long as they last and 'extended' versions need only last longer than the original version to earn the description. By normal standards the original version was pretty long.

Christopher Lee's death may have occurred too late for anything to be included - six weeks or more after Andrew Lesnie. Or it maybe that something will be said about Christopher Lee in one of the features - or that they may put a written tribute in the credits, as they have done for others. Peter Jackson has already paid tribute to him on his Facebook page. There's no lack of respect there - and in any case, tributes of this kind are very personal and not something for outsiders to meddle with - much less to demand.

makingstarwars
Bree

Sep 5 2015, 12:30pm

Post #23 of 39 (2951 views)
Shortcut
you don't think it's kinda sad [In reply to] Can't Post

That this is the only middle earth film that will never reach the 3 hour mark

I say we petition for the 3 hour cut

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 5 2015, 1:16pm

Post #24 of 39 (2911 views)
Shortcut
No, of course not... [In reply to] Can't Post

How can I be sad or glad or anything else when I haven't seen the unused footage Peter Jackson has to work with?

I'm assuming that he has put together what seems to him to be the best possible extended version of the film, adding whatever he wanted to add. And as it happens, it's a few minutes short of three hours - so what? Would you seriously have him add another 16 minutes of footage - any 16 minutes, no matter how contradictory, repetitive or whatever - just to make it up to three hours? 16 more minutes of Alfrid, perhaps - or of Legolas riding his bat - or of someone having a fit of the giggles and fluffing their lines? I've heard some nutty ideas, but a petition for a three hour cut of the film on the basis - presumably - that a three hour film must be better than a two-and-three-quarter hour film just about takes the biscuit!

I think it's sad that this will be the last of Peter Jackson's Tolkien films - sad, but inevitable. Otherwise I'm glad that I've seen them happen and shared the experience with others, and can go on watching them for as long as I'm around. But I'll be watching them - not timing them!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 5 2015, 1:35pm

Post #25 of 39 (2899 views)
Shortcut
Probably the last... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think it's sad that this will be the last of Peter Jackson's Tolkien films - sad, but inevitable. Otherwise I'm glad that I've seen them happen and shared the experience with others, and can go on watching them for as long as I'm around. But I'll be watching them - not timing them!

Something else might yet come out of the existing filmrights; although, I think that the Hobbit Trilogy might have already covered much of what would have been in the hypothetical 'bridge film'. I don't think that Jackson would direct another Middle-earth movie, but he might be credited as a producer.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.