The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Real World Stone Giant and Firemoon

Meneldor
Valinor

Sep 2 2015, 11:50pm

Post #1 of 6 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Real World Stone Giant and Firemoon Can't Post

This rock formation was known as The Old Man of the Mountain in New Hampshire, USA. Sadly, erosion took its toll and the face fell off the mountain a few years ago.
Sure looks like a stone giant to me.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Wasserwaldnymphe
The Shire

Sep 3 2015, 2:05pm

Post #2 of 6 (977 views)
Shortcut
Has Tolkien ever been [In reply to] Can't Post

in the USA? I know that he traveled a lot and got inspirations from his mountain-journeys (as stated in the annotated Hobbit).

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 3 2015, 3:24pm

Post #3 of 6 (967 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic picture. // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2015, 3:55pm

Post #4 of 6 (965 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

My compliments to whomever managed to take that shot of the setting moon at just the right moment! (The Old Man is west of the highway.)

I've had the delight of seeing him "in his glory", and seeing the remains of the erosion...no matter how much they tried to shore up the rock, 'twas time, weather, and gravity which finally prevailed. Unsure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Nuradar
Rohan

Sep 4 2015, 4:39pm

Post #5 of 6 (944 views)
Shortcut
fantastic shot - thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a fantastic shot, thanks for sharing it with us. It certainly DOES look like a stone giant. And the "fire moon" is a lovely bonus.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Sep 9 2015, 2:43pm

Post #6 of 6 (855 views)
Shortcut
I got to see the Old Man before his demise [In reply to] Can't Post

(which I refuse to believe was caused by erosion--we all know how belligerent those stone giants can be Wink). What a beautiful "firemoon" too. Thanks for sharing, Meneldor!

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.