Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Is possible to a planet to have only one ecosystem?

DainPig
Gondor

Sep 2 2015, 7:14pm

Post #1 of 13 (1721 views)
Shortcut
Is possible to a planet to have only one ecosystem? Can't Post

like Star Wars or Star Trek and others sci fi stories, where we always see the "Ice Planet, Vulcan Planet, Desert Planet!" Yes, there's planets like Mars, which is a large desert, but Mars have no oxygen. I speaking of a Tatooine, or Hoth (both from Star Wars) planets with only one ecosystem and which have oxygen.

Thanks for replying, the case is that I want to writte a sci fi story, and need of help. AND sorry for the bad englishTongueUnimpressed

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

Beorn's Bees
Lorien

Sep 2 2015, 7:47pm

Post #2 of 13 (1694 views)
Shortcut
Well I'm no expert but [In reply to] Can't Post

I assume that if the planet were small enough there might only be one ecosystem.

But to be honest I have no serious idea that's just a guess.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 2 2015, 7:51pm

Post #3 of 13 (1688 views)
Shortcut
In general, probably not. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can imagine a water planet with almost no landmasses. But I would expect more variety, generally, on any other life-bearing world.

Like Arrakis (Dune), Tatooine could have water locked under its surface.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 2 2015, 7:57pm)

squire
Half-elven

Sep 2 2015, 7:54pm

Post #4 of 13 (1687 views)
Shortcut
It seems unlikely [In reply to] Can't Post

Because our planet's ability to sustain life seems so dependent on the presence of liquid water. Our seas hold the sun's heat in different ways depending on their latitude, and that causes a lot of different ecosystems even for lands at the same elevations and latitudes.

Remember that Star Wars is not really any kind of serious science fiction - as 'space fantasy' it follows conventional epic models, only with whole planets as the mock-futuristic equivalents of countries or lands in traditional fantasy. Unexplained and almost instantaneous faster-than-light spacecraft is another feature of this kind of writing.

I don't know what serious sci-fi authors have done in this regard; I do remember that 'Dune' was one of the first books to attempt a serious ecological explanation of a single-ecosystem 'desert planet'. I bet others here could bring up more contemporary examples for you to study.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

(This post was edited by squire on Sep 2 2015, 7:58pm)

Susan
Bree

Sep 2 2015, 8:13pm

Post #5 of 13 (1673 views)
Shortcut
I'm not an expert either... [In reply to] Can't Post

But maybe an ice planet with subsurface water? Something like Titan? And you don't necessarily need oxygen, depending on what you want to live there.
Also if you're writing a sci fi story, you might want to check this article about inventing fictional worlds out; I found it pretty useful. It's called: "The Worst Blunders People Make in Inventing Fictional Alien Worlds," (not the most encouraging title, I know Smile).

(This post was edited by Susan on Sep 2 2015, 8:15pm)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Sep 2 2015, 9:40pm

Post #6 of 13 (1653 views)
Shortcut
Not for a planet of any size. [In reply to] Can't Post

The more we've learned about the planets and their satellites in our solar system the more we see that even relatively small bodies have differing regions, for example Jupiter's satellite Europa have geographic differences that probably constitute "weather". Mars, which might have been an inspiration for the desert planet Dune, has polar ice caps, so the high latitudes would be quite different from the equatorial regions and areas in between.

Brethil
Half-elven

Sep 2 2015, 9:41pm

Post #7 of 13 (1651 views)
Shortcut
In a purely natural story it may be hard to get right... [In reply to] Can't Post

but then, if you are crafting a world with a deity or supernatural structure, that opens up possibilities.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 3 2015, 12:15am

Post #8 of 13 (1642 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that article--good read. [In reply to] Can't Post

Googling around led me to a similar one, which I don't dispute, except for a laugh: 7 Deadly Sins of Worldbuilding

How do they eat? What do they eat? Who takes away the garbage? Who deals with their bodily wastes? How do they get around? What do the majority of people do to survive? You're not just constructing a society, you're creating an economy.

Tolkien is notorious for not explaining away about how his economies work in Middle-earth, especially the Elves', but that doesn't stop us from feeling like it's an almost-real place. An author can't explain *everything* or a reader would feel no urge to wonder about the place.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sep 3 2015, 4:12pm

Post #9 of 13 (1614 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/87.html

"We’re orcs of the Misty Mountains,
Our singing’s part of canon.
We do routines and chorus scenes
While dancing with abandon.
We killed Isildur in the Gladden,
To help Sauron bring Armageddon!"
-From "Monty Python and the One Ring"

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2015, 7:27pm

Post #10 of 13 (1600 views)
Shortcut
There is also an argument [In reply to] Can't Post

that what you don't explain (because it's a given, and therefore unnoticed, by that society) is just as important as what you put time into detailing. The 'not explained' has to be done deliberately, though.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Susan
Bree

Sep 3 2015, 8:15pm

Post #11 of 13 (1587 views)
Shortcut
That was an interesting article as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

though like you said, an author can't explain *everything*. I guess as long as there's enough relevant and believable information for the reader to take the actual narrative seriously, the writer has done a pretty decent job of worldbuilding. Plus, readers do love to imagine and rationalize.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 3 2015, 8:28pm

Post #12 of 13 (1583 views)
Shortcut
In fiction, rules were made to be broken. [In reply to] Can't Post

A skilled writer can break the rules of world-building if one knows what he/she is doing. A highly-advanced civilization might be able to artificially control an entire planet's weather and ecosystem. It might even be able to artificially construct whole worlds. We ourselves in the far future might have spawned a decedent civilization that crafts space ships that look outwardly like steam locomotives (thanks to both Michael Moorcock and Leiji Matsumoto!).

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Sep 12 2015, 3:57pm

Post #13 of 13 (1423 views)
Shortcut
well said [In reply to] Can't Post

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Member of Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.