TH BOTFA SEE giftset pictures!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 3 2015, 6:44am

Post #26 of 44 (3032 views)
Shortcut
*grins* on cows [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, cows, and pigs as well, are ancient symbols of abundance and fertility, and with the fan art I have tripped over, it would seem that Thorin and nephews are often viewed as very SOCIAL, as it were, so that bodes well for a sequel featuring the numerous as yet unknown offspring.Cool

Really though, horse motifs for Rohan, fish for Laketown, so for the peaceful and prosperous Dale I could see deer, pigs, goats, birds, fruit, flowers - peaceful happy motifs.

dormouse
Half-elven

Sep 3 2015, 7:21am

Post #27 of 44 (3024 views)
Shortcut
The statue was discussed a week or so ago.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..when the first pictures emerged - here, in this thread

Some liked it, some didn't. I think it's lovely, myself, and that's such a perfect scene in the film I don't think they could have found a better choice.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 3 2015, 9:05am

Post #28 of 44 (2999 views)
Shortcut
Ah ok! [In reply to] Can't Post

I figured it must've been a fan thing, but I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed some nugget of information somewhere.

I would've thought Thorin would be the "lion" give his roaring "I will have warrrrrr" declaration in the trailer (not to mention his mane and royal crown) Laugh

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Now updated with exclusive content from The Battle Of The Five Armies soundtrack.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Sep 3 2015, 10:34am

Post #29 of 44 (2977 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Given the huge amount of additions/deletions by the film-makers to Tolkien's original story, including animals such as lions and deer (even if never mentioned by Tolkien) on a DVD cover is the least of BoFA's problems.

Beasts such as lions, deer, aurochsen and unicorns are frequently featured in heraldry and appeared in the iconography of the ancient (prehistoric) world. Presumably this is why some 'bright' spark came up with the idea of using them here for decoration.CrazyAngelic

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Sep 3 2015, 10:35am)

NManfredi
Rivendell

Sep 3 2015, 12:24pm

Post #30 of 44 (2954 views)
Shortcut
You're right [In reply to] Can't Post

I have grown to love the statue. I think it does a very good job in showing the outcome of the battle and how everyone was feeling in that moment. I love both Bilbo and Gandalf's expression.The only thing I regret is that I won't be able to buy it, because I don't have Blue ray, only a computer with DVD player, and this does not come in a DVD boxset.

"Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing? So small a thing! And I have seen it only for an instant in the house of Elrond! Could I not have a sight of it again?"

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 3 2015, 12:46pm

Post #31 of 44 (2942 views)
Shortcut
You could buy it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...then sell off the BluRay and keep the statue. :)

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

NManfredi
Rivendell

Sep 3 2015, 1:01pm

Post #32 of 44 (2926 views)
Shortcut
Nice one haha [In reply to] Can't Post

But unfortunately where I live there are many issues with bringing things that expensive from abroad. The most hideous being taxes. They are a real bummer and tend to skyrocket every time you buy something which costs more than 50 dls.

"Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing? So small a thing! And I have seen it only for an instant in the house of Elrond! Could I not have a sight of it again?"

nusilver
Rohan

Sep 3 2015, 2:49pm

Post #33 of 44 (2879 views)
Shortcut
exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...then sell off the BluRay and keep the statue. :)

Actually, this is exactly what I'm doing. I'm buying the trilogy box set because it matches the LOTR set perfectly, but since I really want this statue too, I'll be buying this gift set whenever it gets announced for the U.S. Having the extra copy of BOTFA will make it much easier to sell the individual releases of the previous films, since I can sell it as a trilogy, and for much less than the box set will cost.

TheHutt
Gondor

Sep 3 2015, 3:17pm

Post #34 of 44 (2868 views)
Shortcut
In the olden LOTR days... [In reply to] Can't Post

...when I was a poor student, I used to buy 2 copies of the giftsets, keep one of them and then sell the other one separately: film DVDs / statue in box / bonus DVD.

That brought in more money than when sold as a single package, and made the first box cheaper as a result. :)

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 3 2015, 5:10pm

Post #35 of 44 (2825 views)
Shortcut
Nice - thank you for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

Beasts such as lions, deer, aurochsen and unicorns are frequently featured in heraldry and appeared in the iconography of the ancient (prehistoric) world. Presumably this is why some 'bright' spark came up with the idea of using them here for decoration.CrazyAngelic

Great reminderHeart - and the WETA folks would have known this. I'm just so impressed from the Chronicles book "Cloaks and Daggers" at the thought that went into the designs of Mirkwood, Laketown, Dale, and EreborHeart (tho Erebor is wrecked - but the "little" things like the scoring from dragon claws and the details of the rubble like the headless statues and the way the doorway is blocked up by the dwarves - "dwarves are said to be a cunning folk w. stone" - loved the little detail in BOFA of Gloin with chisel, shaping a block)

Given the huge amount of additions/deletions by the film-makers to Tolkien's original story, including animals such as lions and deer (even if never mentioned by Tolkien) on a DVD cover is the least of BoFA's problems.

CoolCoolCoolCoolCool *Sigh* I still have visions of the glorious, coffee-table book of art and images that might have been - not like the Chronicles book, but a sumptuous collection of movie stills and PR work and so on - like some of the Star Wars books I have seen. With premium paper and an embossed coverTongue and premium binding.

Tho I think the banners for the films were well done, and the AUJ art, and some of the stills.

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 3 2015, 7:01pm

Post #36 of 44 (2799 views)
Shortcut
Various motifs for the Durins [In reply to] Can't Post

That I've seen roaming around image and art sites.....
Thorin gets a full suite....

lions,

wolves,

dragons,

and more lately, I see more ravensHeart...

It's good to be kingCool. And I, for one, will always be grateful to PJ and Richard Armitage and WETA for giving us SUCH a Mountain King; Heart

and,
Fili the golden prince/lion:

Basically, the lions/wolves of Erebor (Kili often it seems being associated with a wolf or husky, Dwalin as a bear along with Beorn (naturally), Thranduil the white stag although a snow leopard always comes to mind for me, looking at Thranduil in armor, and I wouldn't be surprised with the silver and grey patterns of his armor cloak that the costume designers thought of that as well - or a snowy owl, bringing silent death and with winter camouflage.

Heart

Avandel
Half-elven

Sep 3 2015, 7:11pm

Post #37 of 44 (2793 views)
Shortcut
Feel for you ): [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think the U.S. has taxes like that, if I were to buy something overseas and have it shipped. At least, when I asked at the post office, the postmaster just shook his head. I guess we don't if it is a private transaction and not a business.

But going the other way, if I want to ship something to someone, I have to worry about the "worth" of the gift, because I guess even gifts get hit with some sort of tax (depending on the country) - some gift that isFrown - the recipient has to pay up at the other end?!FrownUnsure I don't ship stuff overseas or buy overseas often enough to know the details, and so it's confusing, too.Frown

NManfredi
Rivendell

Sep 3 2015, 7:56pm

Post #38 of 44 (2769 views)
Shortcut
Exaclty [In reply to] Can't Post

Some shipping services are terrible, and some post offices too. I've heard that in the States, they have quite good services. My Post Office is not bad, but the tax rates I have in my country are a pretty mouthful (in Troll's terms Unimpressed) for the greedy government of my country. So that's why I have to be really careful not buying much expensive stuff. Anyway, I'm really happy for those that can and will buy it. It looks very good!

Susan
Bree

Sep 3 2015, 8:28pm

Post #39 of 44 (2745 views)
Shortcut
True about the Oliphaunts :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe he heard Hobbit stories passed down through the ages, or Bilbo told him about them.
Also, I didn't know lions existed in Europe. That's quite interesting; thanks for telling me!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 3 2015, 8:37pm

Post #40 of 44 (2740 views)
Shortcut
Lions in Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt that lions would have been common in Eriador at the end of the Third Age, but they might have been present at the time of the founding of the North Kingdom. Like the European lions, they might have had some features of African lions and shared some with their Asiatic cousins. There might once have been large numbers in the region of Gondor and in Rhovanion.

Lions would have been one of the top predators in Harad, along with leopards, crocodiles, etc. Tigers would have competed for prey with the ancestors of the Asiatic lions in the East.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sep 3 2015, 8:38pm)

Susan
Bree

Sep 3 2015, 9:34pm

Post #41 of 44 (2709 views)
Shortcut
Lions Con't. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since there is a Quenya word for lion, I'm guessing that they did used to live in Rhovanion, and some of the elves encountered them during the Great Journey. But before that, they might have originated in Harad, and migrated northward during the Years of the Lamps (Would the geography be right? Sorry, my visualization of Arda is a bit confused right now). And then, maybe even before the North Kingdom was founded, most of the lions may have been driven east into Rhun, or some back into Harad (can you imagine lions attacking Mumakil Smile).

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 3 2015, 9:55pm

Post #42 of 44 (2698 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Harad is equivalent to Africa, so if lions originated in Africa than they can be linked directly to Harad.

And, yes, I could imagine a pride of lions attacking a Mumakil, especially if they were some legendary species (like the Great Eagles to normal raptors or a Meara to a regular horse).

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Dipling
Lorien

Sep 9 2015, 9:57am

Post #43 of 44 (2490 views)
Shortcut
Another one... [In reply to] Can't Post

With coins:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/...oliid=I31PFCEKW5JZXG

quietly_myself

Sep 17 2015, 10:55pm

Post #44 of 44 (2443 views)
Shortcut
Amazon.com [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like this is it:

http://www.amazon.com/...442530513&sr=1-4

(This post was edited by quietly_myself on Sep 17 2015, 10:58pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.